Dell UltraSharp 34 Curved Monitor (U3415W) - Support for 3440 x 1440 Resolution?

VVisdomVVisdom Rush, NY Join Date: 2013-11-02 Member: 188948Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I'm considering a new U3415W monitor but I've not heard a yes from anyone if the native 3440 x 1440 resolution will work in NS2. Does anyone have or know anyone that can verify if this works?

Comments

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well I do not play on a high res myself, but I know of someone who has to play in 1920x1080 because going higher than that would cause heavy input lags.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Well I do not play on a high res myself, but I know of someone who has to play in 1920x1080 because going higher than that would cause heavy input lags.

I play on 2560x1440 and I have no such problem.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members

How's the UI scaling?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    coolitic wrote: »

How's the UI scaling?

I actually started up the game and compared. The UI takes up the exact same amount of space on the screen, although some text is a little smaller in the higher resolution. The crispness easily makes up for it, though.
  • VVisdomVVisdom Rush, NY Join Date: 2013-11-02 Member: 188948Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I currently play on a Dell 24" Ultrasharp at 1920x1200 with no issues, running on a EVGA 560 Ti. I'm hoping someone speaks up that has a Dell 34" Ultrasharp because I want to get one.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2016
    1. I too think that the 560 TI will performance wise not properly run at 1440p (WQHD), mainly because of the 1GB VRAM
    2. In case you're buying the monitor mainly for FPS gaming, then I'd recommend buying a different one.
    Personally, I'd go for 27" max for shooters, because otherwise you'll have to start moving your head to keep track of everything that happens on the screen. Also, I'd pick one that supports 120hz, because the video will look way smoother, which helps you a lot in FPSs (especially NS2 with its many fast moving objects).
  • VVisdomVVisdom Rush, NY Join Date: 2013-11-02 Member: 188948Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was also considering a new Video Card. I just like the 34" wide. Seems no one on NS2 has one... bummer. I appreciate those that are chiming in none the less.
  • SamG2020SamG2020 Bristol UK | Vancouver Canada Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209449Members
    I found this video a while ago because I was thinking of getting one myself

In the end I didn't go for it. In some FPS games that I did try out myself, I found the fish eye effect to be a little too much, it was difficult to adjust the fov to feel comfortable in the centre and around the sides. This will vary from game to game. I was also playing a lot of Fallout at the time, which doesn't have ultrawide support. Instead I just went for a high refresh rate XB271HU. Ultrawide on my work PC however (programming, SQL server, Excel, etc.) is absolutely amazing.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Bicsum wrote: »
    Personally, I'd go for 27" max for shooters, because otherwise you'll have to start moving your head to keep track of everything that happens on the screen.

This isn't really true.. I play on a 42in screen and don't have to move my head...

If it was sitting on my desk right in front of my face you'd be right, but it's 3-4 feet away...
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    SamG2020 wrote: »
    I found this video a while ago because I was thinking of getting one myself

In the end I didn't go for it. In some FPS games that I did try out myself, I found the fish eye effect to be a little too much, it was difficult to adjust the fov to feel comfortable in the centre and around the sides. This will vary from game to game. I was also playing a lot of Fallout at the time, which doesn't have ultrawide support. Instead I just went for a high refresh rate XB271HU. Ultrawide on my work PC however (programming, SQL server, Excel, etc.) is absolutely amazing.

I just got the xf271HU which is the free sync version... Agree!!! Amazing!! 1440p 144hz!!

FYI: I have an R9-290 and I keep all settings on low or off to keep 144fps.
    Thanks for the input guys. I suspect that so long as the game plays in 1440p it will handle 3440x1440 too. That video is a lower res but same aspect.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2016
    I do not recommend ultra-short screens to anyone. They cannot significantly increase horizontal field of view without increasing "fish eye" distortion, only reduce vertical field of view (hence short screen, not wide screen). If you're willing to accept more fish eye distortion you can already just increase the field of view and accept that you will get more fish eye.

I can't say enough good things about high refresh rates and strobing displays (light boost etc). 1440p is probably the sweet spot.

The effect of strobing is very good motion clarity like a CRT. Your eyes move continously, while the monitor updates in discrete steps. If the monitor is constantly lit and your eyes are tracking an object that moves at 10 pixels per frame (moderately fast) the motion of your eyes will also be 10 pixels per frame and the unchanging image will be smeared across the retina. A 1 pixel sharp line on a black background becomes a 10 pixel wide gray smear. With a strobing display; the image is lit for only a short fraction of the time it is being presented. Your eyes move continously, and for perhaps 10-20% of the duration of a frame the image flashes. As your eyes move the after image on your retina moves along perfectly and coincides with the next frame. You have only one or two pixels of motion blur instead of 10.