I was exploring the lava zone in creative....

FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
And I came across something really eerie. Deep, deep down near the lava pits, there's another dropoff, but it leads to green, sandy waters like near the surface. I'm assuming that this is just an undeveloped area that they haven't worked on, it's the only way I can rationalize how odd it is for this area to exist. However, that's not the strange thing, it pales in comparison to what I found in this area.
13BBCCF58007F46A09A9E571A073F906F2FF74A4

317417AE66B2388D931DCE4AC390B2599F72E52B

5239FE838B3BB8883E8659A28AAF05EEAEE72295

This isn't the player model, he looks completely different. He doesn't move, he doesn't change position, no text is displayed upon seeing him, it's just a t-pose human in a dive suit that says "Wasabi One" 4,500 feet below the surface of an oceanic planet in a surprisingly cool and sandy location for being 100 feet away from active lava. He's suspended about 40 meters away from the ground, even if it doesn't look like it in these pictures. I should have thought to get out of the prawn to get some better shots, I might go back later and take some better screenshots.

The only thing I can imagine is that the developers spawned this guy into the world and forgot to remove him, releasing the update with him just sitting there in the world. Is this a sign that they might plan on adding ncp's for you to save in the future? Did the devs accidentally leave him in an unfinished part of the map?????

WHY IS HE HERE? WHAT DOES IT MEAN? IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE!!!

Comments

• FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    It's a size reference for level design.

Do they always leave them in? :p
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited September 2016
    *Edit* Hah, Fathom beat me to the punch while I was typing xD */edit*

This has been floating around for quite a while, there's a thread on it here in the forums somewhere too. It's assumed that it was either placed there as (A) an easter egg, which IMO is highly unlikely given the.... Plans.... For that location... Or (B) was placed there to help with size scaling while fleshing out the area. Oh, and (C) just placed there for the lulz and will be removed once the area starts getting fleshed out. x)

So yeah, most likely case is "accidentally left him in" - and while having some other survivors would be cool (I wish, wish wish I could have met those other Aurora survivors :( ) I don't think it'll be happening.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Area isn't finished yet. No reason to remove it in between releases only to put it back in when you want to continue working.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Debug_Console_Commands

You can spawn those in. I'm also a big fan of oxygen, invisible, and build cheats. XD
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Debug_Console_Commands

You can spawn those in. I'm also a big fan of oxygen, invisible, and build cheats. XD

I'm guilty of frequently using the Invisible cheat whenever I'm straying into Reaper territory xD
    I keep telling myself "It's just a game, if you die you'll just pop back into your base/cyclops, it's no big deal..." and then once I cross over into the Dunes I falter... My breathing gets deeper... And I start to panic. I keep darting back into the saftey of the other zones without even going several meters into the terrifying aquatic wasteland that is the Dunes.... And then I switch on Invisible so I can just get on with the game.

I can't help it - I used to do that with the Kelp Forest because I was always startled by the Bleeders, but got over that. I haven't made much progress with the Reapers though. Funnily enough the Sea Dragon I'm more fascinated by than terrified by. I actually think he's cute. Until he swallows me whole, or nukes me with a magma projectile...... But I always forgive him because of that cute face of his ;v;
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    Funnily enough the Sea Dragon I'm more fascinated by than terrified by. I actually think he's cute. Until he swallows me whole, or nukes me with a magma projectile...... But I always forgive him because of that cute face of his ;v;

Yea, me too. No reason to really be scared of him/her/it at the moment. As far as I know there's one in each Lava Zone (I might be COMPLETELY wrong). You can slip by him, no need to be afraid. But Reapers, my friend, are a different story altogether. Stay well away from the Dunes for as long as you can, and upon entry practice the necessary safety precautions (PRAWN or Cyclops or something). Just... Be careful is what I'm trying to say...

• PotatoPoweredPotatoPowered Belgium Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222699Members
    So about that biome where he is, I just fell straight trough it into the void with my PRAWN suit and now I'm stuck on the bottom of the void. joy
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    So about that biome where he is, I just fell straight trough it into the void with my PRAWN suit and now I'm stuck on the bottom of the void. joy

The Void has a bottom?
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members

The Void has a bottom?

No. I jumped into it in the PRAWN and let myself fall for a couple hours. There is no actual sea floor down there.
  • PotatoPoweredPotatoPowered Belgium Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222699Members
    edited October 2016
    Sidchicken wrote: »

The Void has a bottom?

No. I jumped into it in the PRAWN and let myself fall for a couple hours. There is no actual sea floor down there.
    cr5518zigzhd.jpg
    t an emptiness under the current biome with a perfectly flat rock floor.
  • Dark_MasterDark_Master Astana Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214413Members
    That biome is called "Sea emperor facility"
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    That biome is called "Sea emperor facility"

This. You've fallen into an unfinished area for the story, not the Void biome found around the outskirts of the map.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Although other people/NPCs won't appear due to how the game is currently designed, I think it would be fun to find other Aurora miners/people that have been captured in facilities, and they implore you to save them. Only after you do, they reveal that the Precursors have enslaved them, and they attack you viciously with their mutant psionic abilities! You must defeat them or incapacitate them, unless you fall prey to their whims and become another cog in the machine... *Game Over*

But really, it would be fun to be deep underwater and you're suddenly attacked; you turn and find another person with claws attacking you... :o
    Sounds a bit more Resident Evil than I think they really want to go with this. I was kinda hoping we'd find the bodies of the Degasi survivors somewhere, but I'm guessing they intentionally didn't do that to keep the ESRB rating down.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Sounds a bit more Resident Evil than I think they really want to go with this. I was kinda hoping we'd find the bodies of the Degasi survivors somewhere, but I'm guessing they intentionally didn't do that to keep the ESRB rating down.
    I would have liked to see something, anything regarding their deaths, maybe just a helmet or something on the floor of the Deep Grand Reef, or a Sea Dragon with a big hunk of metal hanging out of its neck, since Marguiret lodged a chunk in there.