NS, Subnautica & the Future

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
edited September 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
Back in the days of NS, there was a really active fan-fiction forum, where many great stories were created, filling in parts of the back story of the universe and it's current state, as well as some epic individual stories from the front-lines.

With Subnautica, UWE are telling the one story that never got told, the origin of the bacterium. I won't go into what I learned about the story, nor do I wish to turn this into a Subnautica discussion thread, as it is the wrong forum.

What I do want to discuss from the story though is an important and interesting piece of information regarding the bacterium - it can infect humans.

This piece of information legitimises some of the awesome fan-fiction, like the gem that is Monster, unfortunately the complete story is no longer hosted, but the first 5 or so chapters are still on forums, the first linked above.

The news also opens up a lot of interesting possibilities for the future. I am looking to discuss some of the implications this raises about the future in NS universe. If there was ever a NS3, I wouldn't expect it to be made for a HL3 wait kind of time. So what could happen in the NS universe in the next 200 game universe years before a imaginary sequel would exist?

How will our endless wars with the Kharaa go? How many humans will fall victim to the bacterium? What will happen as the kharaa expands?

Or did the OP marines wipe out the threat entirely, and now we are safe, and there will be no more war?

Discuss :)

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    (Don't watch if you haven't seen The Thing, instead, WATCH THE THING!!!!)

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I preferred the original :)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2016
    This is sort of a related topic, so I will post it anyways because it is related to fan fiction.

I have become more interested in Star Citizen recently. I have made an organization of which I intend to write a small piece of fan fiction. I have not spent more than 30 seconds on this so far but I am thinking something like this.
    Theme: Several hundred years ago a fleet of Frontiersman accidentally fell into another universe, the Star Citizen universe. They have since been assimilated into the general population but retain their identity as a Frontiersman of the TSA. The Frontiersman have spent centuries searching for a way home. They also hope to find the Kharaa system in this universe to eliminate the threat.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/NS2

This is a work in progress.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I preferred the original :)

The one from the 50's?
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Oh god....not "Infested Marines" ...anything but that.
    (Go look at Derelict's secret room)

@Nordic Neat :)

• barniebarnie Join Date: 2016-07-26 Member: 220695Members
    infested marine -> ranged alien unit -> ??? -> Profit
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I said in the NS universe. Not in a future game. As Marines are just reprints, I doubt they could become infected, but non-replicated humans could be a potential source of trouble.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Don't think I'm not on to you lot. This is one of those third race things again isn't it5.gif