Ampeel Idea

747snoodles747snoodles United States Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222259Members
edited September 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
So I've never felt annoyed or threatened by the Ampeel and I feel like I should be. I've never felt threatened because by the time I see them I'm in a vehical of some sort, so to remedy this non threat problem simply make the electeel threatning to vehicles. How? By giving it power draining capabilities. A way it can suck energy from vehicals. Energy is a hard resource to come by (especially in the Cyclops [which still needs a generator of sorts btw] due to its size and energy consumption) this would be a challenging mechanic to add as long as it's not overpowered (in range or strength) anyway that's just another idea I've had thx again for an amazing game!

Comments

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I don't think it would be that hard. Lava Larva have the ability so it doesn't seem like a stretch to me.
  • NecromNecrom The Grave Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215444Members
    Yeah. Sounds good to me.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    this is an awful idea, draining power is annoying in its self, but to have an eel do it from afar is just terribly unfair. maybe stunning the vehicle would be a better idea, as it could briefly overload the circuitry briefly.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    That would certainly make the Ampeel more of a threat. Better bring along some extra power cells (thank goodness for the power chargers)

Whoa... I just had a thought. What if we capitalize on that?
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/145098/lightning-rod-green-energy-from-ampeels/p1?new=1
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    Umm...Am I the only one who never struggles with energy depletion? I always find I have way too much power. Heck if I had it my way I'd make the Seamoth drain 1.25x the energy and the cyclops drain 1.5x the energy. I also imagine that this would annoy ALOT of people so I don't suggest it haha! xD

As for active methods of vehicle power depletion (like the lava larva) I am all down for that IF and only IF: Its an interactable game mechanic (the player has options and choices to avoid the power loss). I'll give an example (disclaimer: I am not saying this is a good example).

The Ampeel passively absorbs the static electricity in the water allowing for its amplification and application through its body (I can't remember its PDA entry but this is just some immersion context). Therefore when the seamoth is nearby the ampeel drains the Seamoth's energy (at a slow but noticeable rate(. This allows the player to make a choice (if I go to the wrecks in this biome I need to bring a spare power cell as I may need to switch out due to this creature or I could head south). Now I could nitpick my own idea and point out all the flaws but the point I am making is the same. It adds a choice. I think something can be done here as long as it makes a new choice and doesn't piss players off (i.e. takes huge amounts of power from afar).

I like @Sigmalx 's idea, as long as there was some kinda counter to this (some wrecks have these things basically ontop of them and would be annoying to no end).