What is this?

dargan012dargan012 Hungary Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214957Members
But seriously im really confused about this I mean what is this supposed to do?

https://trello.com/c/miIEIbP1/42-craftable-time-capsule

Comments

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    No idea. I mean, it's a time capsule but for what purpose?
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aOIfICMAASRjjO5g0_NTDkUi5qw5ssT1tBqctbK-6Do/edit#

Time Capsules

When players investigate abandoned lifepods, they sometimes find time capsules left by other players that have beaten the game. These capsules can have a special message and picture and this capsule is then added to your Steam inventory where it can be displayed, traded or sold.

Overview

•Time capsules should feel special, and should contain something special. Stories, images, emotions. And more?

•Every abandoned life pod will spawn either an empty time capsule, or a time capsule “gift” from another player. We have 7 such life pods in game right now.

•When a player beats the game, any capsules that they have made get submitted to the web-site.

•Each time capsule has an image and optional text (up to 512 characters long). The text for the time capsules is displayed in the item summary.

•Capsule are linked with the creator’s Steam ID so you can see easily who created the time capsule for you, visit their Steam profile, add them as a friend, send them a message, get married, etc.

•Time capsules are manually moderated and ranked by the community. Capsules have one week to either get enough positive votes and none or few negative votes (offensive, spoliers) to be put into circulation. Capsules are either put into circulation or deleted forever. Once they are put into circulation, they can no longer be removed or further voted on - they are permanently in circulation.

•The name of the Economy item will be the Steam player’s name + “Time Capsule” + the number of the time capsule accepted by that player. Ie, the third capsule I had put into circulation would be called “Flayra’s Time Capsule #3”.

•Contents are saved in a database, images sent to Amazon S3.

•It’s easy to add more content (images, text) to the time capsules (technical consideration)

•Works on consoles too! Without the Economy/trading part. They just appear in game, and open a website for the player to see the full content. They can also get linked to player’s Xbox account and be displayed in a special place (either in game, or on a website)

•Not able to be cheat-spawned in, like hull plates.

All submissions from players are “throttled” (leaking bucket) so there is only one coming in per week. If players figure out some way to cheat in time capsules, they will be mitigated this way. Jonas can provide details.

Empty time capsules can have an image added to them, and text added. This can be in-game or out of game (via web interface and a user code to access). Ie, “Go to <url> and enter “ceylon blue nickname” when prompted to create your own time capsule for other players. This could be a PIN as well if easier to remember.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Just what I need. Fifty canisters of "Deez Nutz"
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    Just what I need. Fifty canisters of "Deez Nutz"

I would hope that the majority of people playing wouldn't be dumb enough to either write that or vote it into circulation :wink:
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Ah, good. So if they are to be voted on, then we'll have a decreased risk of encountering spoilers
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    edited September 2016
    Ah, good. So if they are to be voted on, then we'll have a decreased risk of encountering spoilers

technically they will be in the game when its finished but their will have to be steps taken to avoid hints, walkthroughs and ok spoilers for lack of a better word.