Let's talk about replayability

enragedcamelenragedcamel Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222016Members
My biggest concern about the game right now is its low replay value. I originally played back in January for about 15 hours, then took a break and came back a few weeks ago and have put in another 10 hours or so. Despite all the content that has been added during my breal, I found myself getting bored much more quickly. I think this is because there is no sense of exploration and discovery after the first play-through once you learn where everything is, where to find which resources, which areas to avoid, etc.

The map not being randomized is a huge part of this obviously. I understand why the devs went in this direction (allows custom-creating each biome to much higher level of detail), but I think the long term effects will be very detrimental unless new zones can be added quickly after launch (e.g. one new zone per month).

Aside from that, here are my suggestions to enhance replay value and add more "depth" to the game (har har):
  1. An upgraded version of the hand-held scanner that unlocks additional uses for scanned items. For example, each species of fish should start to grant minor, temporary bonuses after being scanned with this advanced scanner. Swim speed boost for eating Peepers, oxygen boost for eating Bladderfish, and so on. Something that will give the player a reason to hunt for specific species of fish depending on what they are doing at the time. Similarly, it would be cool if previously non-edible plants became edible after they are scanned.
  2. A radio-receiver accessory that detects nearby points-of-interest (POIs) as the player travels around the map. These POIs should be completely randomized, and should disappear after a short while. Examples include drifting floatsam that contain rare blueprints, rare species of migrating fish, rare minerals that are temporarily unearthed on the ocean floor by deep-sea currents... the possibilities are endless. This ensures that each play-through contains random and exciting finds. It would also force the player to make a decision between continuing their current path or stopping what they are currently doing to seek out the POI.
  3. A drone-bay for the Cyclops. The idea is to stop the Cyclops in an area that is rich in resources and release the drones, which go out to collect resources and bring them back to the Cyclops (if they survive wildlife attacks). This could be at the top of the tech-tree, but the benefit would be reducing the constant need to gather basic resources, which by late game becomes tedious and repetitive.
  4. A reason to build bases in all biomes. There should be things you can do from bases that are a) critical to progression and b) you can only do from bases. Maybe some sort of room that is built on the ocean floor that drills for a specific resource in that biome.

I understand these will be out of scope for version 1.0 but something to consider after release.

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited September 2016
    Pff, young punks and their need for randomized/procedurally generated worlds. Why, in my days....!

#1 is already set for implementation in the form of the transfuser. It works differently, but seems to match what you're wishing for. #2 also has got some work on it in the loot that can be gathered from hanging with the sea treaders and I expect the basic idea to get further implementation because the devs have indicated a wish to make fauna more involved than "eat or be eaten". Rare fish I can def get behind; I already love tracking down the sea crown so an equivalent fish would be welcome as well (I nominate that rainbow cutie in the concept art with the sandshark).

#4 is one I don't really get. I enjoy basebuilding immensely and hope to see more stuff implemented in that area of gameplay, but having to "build bases in all biomes" sounds tedious even to me.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    We've had that discussion here on the forum already in this thread, so I hope no one minds if I just quote myself from there:
    I think replayability and longevity both depend heavily on your play style. If a game ends for you once you have built everything and visited every place, then there probably won't be much to hold you for long in any game. No single player game 'out of the box' can provide enough diverse content to keep you playing and doing new things for hundreds of hours.

Obviously, I can only speak for myself, but I'm fairly sure I'm going to easily log several hundred hours in SN, just as I have logged 980 in Skyrim, and 746 in Fallout 4 so far. Heck, I've already spent 109 148 hours in Subnautica, even in its EA state. I build bases, expand them, fine tune the layouts, experiment building them into the ground for extra decorative results... then tear it all down and start all over. I spend hours looking for the perfect locations, with the best views or the best living conditions. I carefully plan trips, gather food and water then go sightseeing, I poke reapers and try to outrun them and die spectacularly, I collect plants for my underwater farms, I collect fish for my aquariums, I hatch eggs and swim with adorable tiny reefbacks. I still haven't even been to the famous lava zones, I still have plenty to see, discover, and enjoy.... and the game isn't even complete yet.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that we can't and probably shouldn't try to determine a game's longevity or replayability and use that very subjective assessment like a label. There will be players like my humble self who will happily play Subnautica for months and never get bored, never run out of fun things to do, and then there will be players who will complete what there is to complete and seek their entertainments in a new game after a week or so. And that's fine, because no game can possibly satisfy everyone.
  • KisuKisu Germany Join Date: 2016-08-08 Member: 221099Members
    Many of the features you mentioned will be added to the game right before the full release like the transfuser that matches your first point. There sure will be another biomes coming like the twisty bridges and for your last point: I always build little bases in all the biomes just because of the unique scenery in every biome. I think this is reason enough it is so much fun to build and costumize a base. I already spent 100+ hours in Subnautica and I am not bored yet.
  • TalisseraTalissera Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222023Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Pff, young punks and their need for randomized/procedurally generated worlds. Why, in my days....!

#4 is one I don't really get. I enjoy basebuilding immensely and hope to see more stuff implemented in that area of gameplay, but having to "build bases in all biomes" sounds tedious even to me.

You said it like Elite: Dangerous player :P You old players need only some graphics sketch and a couple of actions. Who needs scenario, interactions and live world :)))

The only point I see in biome bases - to study local fauna, so you need little 1-2 multirooms, scanner room and observatory too watch and enjoy.
    There is no point for so many resourses in the game. Since you have been maped territory with known res locations (like Crash Zone for metal and Blood Kelps for quartz crystalls) there is only matter of time you dig it for your base of dream.
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    I find that the single biggest factor for replayability so far has been the lack of an in-game map. I'm forced to explore different areas as I try to navigate by landmarks and occasionally fail, ending up in areas I've never seen before. Often these become areas I want to find again and add to my personal memory library of useful landmarks themselves, but that usually takes several playthroughs.

That said, placing the fragments in the wrecks removed a lot of replayability because they're not as random anymore, and don't require as much exploration to find. Instead of "scour the countryside" it's more like "go defeat this dungeon". Unfortunate. Not that cutting fragments out of wrecks doesn't have merit, it's just that the old gameplay had a lot of merit, too, and now that's gone.
  • enragedcamelenragedcamel Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222016Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    No single player game 'out of the box' can provide enough diverse content to keep you playing and doing new things for hundreds of hours.

I remember playing singleplayer Minecraft for well over a hundred hours. Minecraft worlds are randomized so exploration never became old. I remember taking a very long time to establish bases because looking for that perfect spot for a base was so fun and exciting.

But even with non-random game worlds, hundred plus hours of gameplay is possible in a singleplayer game. Look at Witcher 3. Its world is huge and detailed, with a shitload of quests, bounties, treasure hunts, you name it.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I've played a couple of hundred hours of Total War games "out of the box"... and probably a couple of thousand hours on mods. 80% of which was Medieval II.

The amazing thing is I'm not even exaggerating even slightly. It could be even more.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    I know a lot of people are big on procedural generation but that wouldn't work with Subnautica's story-driven plot. However it could still be used outside of that narrow area.

Here is my take on it: Keep the current, main map as it is. Static, the same every time. This way you've still got your linear plot arch intact and can form working strategies that can be shared or reused for it. However, when reaching the edge of the map it currently just drops away to nothing forever. This is where procedural generation can take over. Simply add a little PDA voice notice that you are leaving the main game zone so that new players won't get lost forever. But people who want endless exploration can do exactly that (at least until they run out of hard drive space) simply by leaving the main area behind.

In short, main game = static map, procedural generation = outside boundaries of map.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    No single player game 'out of the box' can provide enough diverse content to keep you playing and doing new things for hundreds of hours.
    I remember playing singleplayer Minecraft for well over a hundred hours. Minecraft worlds are randomized so exploration never became old. I remember taking a very long time to establish bases because looking for that perfect spot for a base was so fun and exciting.

But even with non-random game worlds, hundred plus hours of gameplay is possible in a singleplayer game. Look at Witcher 3. Its world is huge and detailed, with a shitload of quests, bounties, treasure hunts, you name it.
    I've played a couple of hundred hours of Total War games "out of the box"... and probably a couple of thousand hours on mods. 80% of which was Medieval II.

The amazing thing is I'm not even exaggerating even slightly. It could be even more.
    Eh, I guess I should have worded that one line a little better by adding "for everyone" somewhere there. Because that's what I meant, as you can see reading further into my post.

I have well over a hundred hours logged in Subnautica already and I don't intend to stop playing it any time soon. I played through Witcher 3 four or five times already, I can absolutely see myself playing again some time. I played Shogun: Total War until my eyes bled. Doesn't change the fact that there are people out there who will not find any of these games entertaining enough to stick with them for just as long.

We are all different and we all have varying expectations and needs when it comes to games. That's why I wrote that we should not judge a game's replayability by our own personal preferences only. We shouldn't slap on labels, because what is boring for one person, can be entertaining for another.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I get your point and I agree. It just made me think about Total War and how much I love the series. There's genuinely not been a moment of my life in the last 10 years that I haven't had a TW campaign (either SP or MP) going on.

You're right though, Rome, Medieval 2 and Shogun 2 are 3 massive exceptions in the gaming industry. There's never been anything like it and I don't think there could ever be again. But that's just one man's take on it.