I posted this on trello and just want to say...

ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
ROBOTS I want robots so bad so this is what I posted under it... I was thinking a robot like in the weird snail thing concept art, like a shoulder mounted flashlight almost but you can put for mods in it like a storage mode letting you put items in it or solar/thermal reactor mods so that it will charge in the lava zone when you explore the precursor bases or solar for when your near the surface. Scanner mod so that you can send it out to scan thing for/ Sonar mapping up the area ahead helping you not get lost. And finally Crush depth. Could use a (Hopefully, Lithium Ion) Powercell. Has 3 Mod slots and 1 extra for the scanner mod if you want to switch out the flashlight.

Comments

• HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Honestly a little drone to follow me around and could be used for storage would be great.

Kind of tired of crafting computer chips as it is, though. Feel like I need to set a whole day aside and just farm silver and craft computer chips, enough to fill a closet.
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    Herugrim wrote: »
    Honestly a little drone to follow me around and could be used for storage would be great.

Kind of tired of crafting computer chips as it is, though. Feel like I need to set a whole day aside and just farm silver and craft computer chips, enough to fill a closet.

I felt the same way, but apparently the PRAWN is supposed to fix this now. If you know how to hunt silver in vents and the couple of places it's easy-to-get-at-without-getting-blown-up-by-Crash in the shallows, you can make the first few items you need and get to Seamoth level, which gets you what you need to get the PRAWN.

Once you have the PRAWN, those big chalky looking nodes that you think are probably salt are actually 5 - 10 silver. And nothing can bother you in the suit, at least, not out in the Plateau. The biggest problem is honestly losing the chunks in the grass. With the PRAWN, you can fill that Silver locker in 1 short trip.

That's not super obvious, though. Being such a deep-diving vehicle, it's easy to forget to check the recipe and think "that's obviously for the end-game", when in fact you should build it and use it ASAP.

All the suddenly-rare mineral nodes (sandstone, quartz, etc.)? They got turned into big drillable nodes of one thing or another, so you HAVE to use the suit.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited September 2016
    orobouros wrote: »
    Herugrim wrote: »

I felt the same way, but apparently the PRAWN is supposed to fix this now. If you know how to hunt silver in vents and the couple of places it's easy-to-get-at-without-getting-blown-up-by-Crash in the shallows, you can make the first few items you need and get to Seamoth level, which gets you what you need to get the PRAWN.

Once you have the PRAWN, those big chalky looking nodes that you think are probably salt are actually 5 - 10 silver. And nothing can bother you in the suit, at least, not out in the Plateau. The biggest problem is honestly losing the chunks in the grass. With the PRAWN, you can fill that Silver locker in 1 short trip.

That's not super obvious, though. Being such a deep-diving vehicle, it's easy to forget to check the recipe and think "that's obviously for the end-game", when in fact you should build it and use it ASAP.

All the suddenly-rare mineral nodes (sandstone, quartz, etc.)? They got turned into big drillable nodes of one thing or another, so you HAVE to use the suit.

Basically states that the current game progression is mucked up pretty bad. Especially if they're locking most early game high tech material behind needing the PRAWN suit in order to mine them. Yes but of course there are nodes you can find that you can mine by hand but it makes me wonder about the game in the long term. With this being singleplayer and yes I am aware the game is still in Alpha but the speed at which you progress in the game is quite fast. I sure hope this isn't one of those can complete the game in under 10 hours sort of games. I also wonder about the replayablity portion if there is going to be any.

I suppose we'll see once they start adding story elements into the game and tying game progression into that.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    I'd probably like a following camera drone with a 4-square storage that would return to base once full.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I find that the limiting factor in computer chips isn't silver so much as it is table coral. To my knowledge, there's no way to farm the stuff.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    I find that the limiting factor in computer chips isn't silver so much as it is table coral. To my knowledge, there's no way to farm the stuff.

you cant farm them, thats true. But honestly, theres so much in the shallows that one dont really need a farm of those. one quick trip to the shallows and you have enough to make 20 comp chips easily, even more if you go there with a seamoth/prawn/cyclops to stock on them.

theres also the green coral table in the red grass biome if thats closer to your base.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited September 2016
    Unless you're one of those losers who hate ruining the environment and spend a lot of time looking for places the damage won't be noticed. In my defense, this is a game that has "admiring the environment" as part of its gameplay, so there's a bit of structural inconsistency there.

I've said this before, but resource gathering for computer chips isn't difficult, it's tedious. You need so many computer chips and it's just not fun or even sensical in some cases. (Why do I need a computer chip for each pressure compensator upgrade? There's already a chip in there! If at least the final upgrade would have need for, like, a more complex chip needing diamond or something I'd feel less artificially held up.)

I'd love to have more robots, but purpose before fanciness and right now we have the less than stellar camera drones that need to be made functional. My preferred scenario at this point is to give them manual marking so they can work on their own and be complementary to the scanner room (which auto-scans but only marks one kind of resource). This way, they'd also be functional as a Cyclops module (accessibility through the camera system, Cyclops fabricator would logically be able to make them).

I'm not able to understand how OP envisions their idea for a robot to function. Would it be a tool, something that is attached to the player a different way (helmet module?), or a base-tied item? It also seems a bit too multifunctional for such a small robot if we're talking the artwork one specifically. We're talking something the size of the seaglide, which has no mods either and only offers light and speed.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    If camera drones are any indication of what to expect, Stalkers will love your little robotic chum.
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    The table corals used to break up into little chunks, But at some point that was removed. Which was too bad, I like the low impact it made when they broke up. saved you a few trips as well.