Sound Effect...

DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
edited September 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Is it possible to get this sound effect as a On/Off option for the Cyclops?

(the PING, not the sounds of the screws)
B)

Comments

• CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    edited September 2016
    DaveyNY,

If I am correct, the PING was an active sonar used in older subs. It bounced through the surrounding terrain in order to map landmarks and other vehicles. In modern subs the active system was abandoned and replaced with a passive system which just listens. The passive sonar system is currently quite advanced (again if I am correct) so much so, it can tell sister battleships apart.

So as for a future space traveling race I can see that it wouldn't really make sense...but for retro reasons I can see the appeal haha!

Cheers Capta
  • Simpson007Simpson007 Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221996Members
    Captagear wrote: »
    DaveyNY,

If I am correct, the PING was an active sonar used in older subs. It bounced through the surrounding terrain in order to map landmarks and other vehicles. In modern subs the active system was abandoned and replaced with a passive system which just listens. The passive sonar system is currently quite advanced (again if I am correct) so much so, it can tell sister battleships apart.

So as for a future space traveling race I can see that it wouldn't really make sense...but for retro reasons I can see the appeal haha!

Cheers Capta

Passive sonar are used for combat submarine, they abandoned active sonar because it's making noise, that's bad for submarine hiding.
    But passive sonar can't be used for ranging, means that you will never know you are going to hit something.
    The movie The Hunt for Red October explained a lot, they do have a PING machine (active sonar) in the submarine though hardly used. And Red October calculate very specific time to make the submarine turn when they pass the underwater canyon, kind of like blind walking with a stopwatch that tell you when you turn.

I'd love they put a active sonar on Cyclops ,that will be huge convenient, and sounds cool ;)
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Yeah, I was thinking of it as more of a "Cool" factor, rather than anything really functional.
    But either way would still be fun.
    B)
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    @Captagear, you are correct and if you want to mention someone you have to put an @ symbol infront of their name.
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    @Captagear, you are correct and if you want to mention someone you have to put an @ symbol infront of their name.

Yeah I figured that out haha, as you can see I am only new to this forum. Cheers though :)
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Yes, I did notice that you are a new forum user. I hope you have fun on the forums!