more submarines?

adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
does anyone knows if there will be anymore vehicles included in the game (submarines to be precice) cuz i see alot of people saying there is no future plans for any new submarines

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well from what I've heard, most roles are filled out...

We've got our personal transport, our speedy explorer, a cargo hauler/mobile base and a prawn suit exo mecha type of thing...
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I think a bigger submarine would break the scope of the game world as we have now. It'd be for going farther and deeper than what we have.

Only niche I can think of really would be a tug boat for the PRAWN and larger cargo containers that allows you to move them faster than you could with the suit itself or a Cyclops. Though that niche is too small to justify the amount of work required for implementing it.
  • SansTheSkelebroSansTheSkelebro Italy Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216071Members
    Nope, no more new submarines are planned.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members

what about the concept arts about the manta the draconis and the mesterious sub ?
  • SansTheSkelebroSansTheSkelebro Italy Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216071Members
    Too big for the game world
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    adel_50 wrote: »

what about the concept arts about the manta the draconis and the mesterious sub ?

This is what you call extra unused concepts and models. Every game does this and always has extra data that usually is unused assets. Sometimes these assets will be used in another game or a sequel of the original game they were meant to be used in. Assuming we'll get a Subnautica 2 is jibberjabber at this point though.
  • GenghisConnorGenghisConnor Usa Join Date: 2016-08-25 Member: 221720Members

This is what you call extra unused concepts and models. Every game does this and always has extra data that usually is unused assets. Sometimes these assets will be used in another game or a sequel of the original game they were meant to be used in. Assuming we'll get a Subnautica 2 is jibberjabber at this point though.

Except there is not data or model for anything other then whats been implemented. The concept art originates from elsewhere
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

Except there is not data or model for anything other then whats been implemented. The concept art originates from elsewhere

It originates mostly from Cory Strader himself, with some being done by Pat Presley. That's not really "elsewhere".
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    IMO, what the game needs:

1) A mid-range utility sub, like the kind we use in the real world. Bigger than a Seamoth, smaller than a Cyclops. Role and appearance like an undersea pickup truck. Give it arms like excosuit, but drive it like a submarine. Slow, can't dodge predators. Main purpose is resource extraction. Largo cargo capacity. Does not dock with Cyclops, but can dock with Boat (below). Can also haul Exosuit if needed.

2) Cyclops needs to be smaller. No reason why something that big should be trying to navigate a map this small. Say 2/3rd the current size, and shave most of it by getting rid of the pointless multiple deck levels. Primary purpose is now to be long-range, deep diving exploration vehicle (instead of the mobile base that it currently is). Cyclops also needs Scanner Room functionality grafted onto it - extreme range sonar, item finding and camera drones.

3) A Boat. Yeah, a boat that floats on top of the water. Make it the size of the current Cyclops. Main purpose is to just be a mobile base. Slow moving, but near limitless cargo area. Doesn't even register with predators. Very moddable - mostly just a framework on which to build. Can add bays for docking Seamoth, Exosuit, and yes even Cyclops if need be. Main purpose is to be a mobile base.

So your order of rank:

Boat -> Floats on surface, slowly moves to area and anchors there. Deploy Cyclops to explore. 0m.

Cyclops -> Gets layout of local area, identifies resources, gets sonar map.

Seamoth -> Explores nooks & crannies as needed, or acts as fast taxi between other vehicles.

Utility Sub -> If area is mostly safe, deploys to harvest lots of resources for seabase building.

Exosuit -> If area is not safe, or depth too deep, or you've got lava issues, drop this instead.

As you can see, the closer you get to the surface, the larger your vehicle and the safer it is to use it.

• GenghisConnorGenghisConnor Usa Join Date: 2016-08-25 Member: 221720Members

It originates mostly from Cory Strader himself, with some being done by Pat Presley. That's not really "elsewhere".

ah ok didnt know that
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    I do like the idea of having a boat base.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Sign me up for a boat base too, but I don't need it to be big or able to carry any other encapsulating vehicles. Just something mostly to help me get between islands, because the current selection isn't good enough for that (it makes me nervous to exit the Cyclops down below to swim up to hit the beach, the PRAWN suit can't reach the Floating Island (I think?), and I always worry about accidentally beaching the Seamoth and rendering it useless).
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    DagothUr wrote: »

1) A mid-range utility sub, like the kind we use in the real world. Bigger than a Seamoth, smaller than a Cyclops. Role and appearance like an undersea pickup truck. Give it arms like excosuit, but drive it like a submarine. Slow, can't dodge predators. Main purpose is resource extraction. Largo cargo capacity. Does not dock with Cyclops, but can dock with Boat (below). Can also haul Exosuit if needed.

2) Cyclops needs to be smaller. No reason why something that big should be trying to navigate a map this small. Say 2/3rd the current size, and shave most of it by getting rid of the pointless multiple deck levels. Primary purpose is now to be long-range, deep diving exploration vehicle (instead of the mobile base that it currently is). Cyclops also needs Scanner Room functionality grafted onto it - extreme range sonar, item finding and camera drones.

3) A Boat. Yeah, a boat that floats on top of the water. Make it the size of the current Cyclops. Main purpose is to just be a mobile base. Slow moving, but near limitless cargo area. Doesn't even register with predators. Very moddable - mostly just a framework on which to build. Can add bays for docking Seamoth, Exosuit, and yes even Cyclops if need be. Main purpose is to be a mobile base.

So your order of rank:

Boat -> Floats on surface, slowly moves to area and anchors there. Deploy Cyclops to explore. 0m.

Seamoth -> Explores nooks & crannies as needed, or acts as fast taxi between other vehicles.

Utility Sub -> If area is mostly safe, deploys to harvest lots of resources for seabase building.

Exosuit -> If area is not safe, or depth too deep, or you've got lava issues, drop this instead.

As you can see, the closer you get to the surface, the larger your vehicle and the safer it is to use it.
    just want something large to live and explore the lava zone in
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    DagothUr wrote: »

So your order of rank:

just want something large to live and explore the lava zone in
  • SietixSietix Holed up in my room... Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222013Members

DrownedOut wrote: »
    Sign me up for a boat base too, but I don't need it to be big or able to carry any other encapsulating vehicles. Just something mostly to help me get between islands, because the current selection isn't good enough for that (it makes me nervous to exit the Cyclops down below to swim up to hit the beach, the PRAWN suit can't reach the Floating Island (I think?), and I always worry about accidentally beaching the Seamoth and rendering it useless).

Can't you just use the propulsion/repulsion cannon to unbeach the seamoth? Also I've had much success with using the PRAWN on land, however it does help to have the jump jet upgrade when transferring from cyclops to land.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Sietix wrote: »

Can't you just use the propulsion/repulsion cannon to unbeach the seamoth? Also I've had much success with using the PRAWN on land, however it does help to have the jump jet upgrade when transferring from cyclops to land.
    You can use the Propulsion Cannon to pick up a rock or something similar heavy and then nudge the Seamoth around with it until it's floating again. But careful, the Seamoth will take damage from it.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Sietix wrote: »

I was going to say "no, the Seamoth is too big", but as per Fathom's words it's "only indirectly, and that still requires you to have one with you and I rarely have one with me". I can swim back and fetch one, but that's immersion breaking to me.

I'll take your word for it the PRAWN can reach Floating Island (and back?), but I was more talking about an appropriate vehicle to visit the islands, which if the Cyclops has to carry the PRAWN is the Cyclops, not the PRAWN.
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members

Game developers come up with lots of ideas and many of them end up being cut during the development process.