Prawn update once again nearly unplayable early game

124»

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Well, these "hypothetical people" would include several of my acquaintances (and me, if we look at games in general). I know people who just aren't "good" at orientation or maneuvering or whatever else and if they'll ever be (because disability and lack of talent often cross each other) it will probs take another decade. If there are things that can be done to make a game more accessible, they should at least be considered. It's not coddling, but evening the playing field.
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    For crying out loud, it's not about skill. I had the first save I started since the PRAWN update literally overrun by over-spawning Sandsharks. I mean literally swimming in the things, they were EVERYWHERE. Having watched predator populations climb and climb and climb over the last year, I assumed this was intentional.

Since the sandsharks are intentionally thicker near wrecks (video game logic; gotta guard the loot), they were utterly IMPASSABLE in this (I now realize bugged) save. Having started over, the Sandsharks are still very obviously bugged and overpopulated (spilling into other biomes in large numbers and to a great exent), but nowhere near to that extent.

The fact that it was difficult for me to tell (and difficult for my detractors in this thread to understand from a description) bugged spawning from regular spawning does seem to indicate that there's a general dissatisfaction with many players about just how many sharks there are and how frequently you get attacked just traveling through biomes. That's an issue no matter how skilled you are (breaking immersion, world feels far too video-gamey or just unreasonably hostile, like what do all these sharks eat, etc.)

The combination of the bugged sandsharks and fragments being so feast-or-famine with some progression issues (utter inability to get the Mod Station, moonpool and seamoth mod station fragments once again being doable but still annoyingly below crush depth, perception that some fragments grant technology you really need to get to the fragments in the first place, etc.) was just inducing ragequits. I'm doing much better in the new save, though the Mod Station thing still irks me. I guess something has to be in the Reaper-guarded wrecks, but I kind of felt it should have been limited to the PRAWN weapon arms or the like. How much you want to bet the Reinforced Dive Suit blueprints are going to be all the way there in the endgame, long after you're essentially done going mano-a-mano with hostile sea life outside a vehicle, so it does you no real good? Honestly I'd rather just avoid the damned things if they're going to be so dangerous and all but impossible to make them leave you alone for any length of time.