A New Opening Sequence

aft2001aft2001 Join Date: 2016-08-19 Member: 221500Members
When you start a new world in Subnautica, you have the opening cutscene of the player climbing into an escape pod, ejecting from the burning starship as the pod enters the atmosphere of the mysterious water world. However, this is very sudden and doesn't really show much other than a spaceship on fire. I thought of a new opening scene (that you can skip if you'd like) that would add onto the current cutscene, but not replace it.

The player starts off by waking up in his (character is male. Presumably anyways, looking at the trailer) quarters, sharing a room with 4 others. The PDA boots up and automatically downloads the day's task. The player is (this part can be anything really, including the task) an engineer, and he has to fix a malfunctioning robotic arm in the Seamoth bay. This opening scene will give a little bit of story, as well as a sort of tutorial for the very basics of the game, such as movement, how to interact, and how to use a few tools, such as the scanner and welder. The player finishes up with his task and is assigned to do some routine checkups on the P.R.A.W.N bay. However, as the player arrives, some alarms go off as the ship suddenly and violently shakes and thrashes everything around, causing P.R.A.W.N suits to fall to the ground, hallways to explode and collapse, airlocks to shut, fires to catch from pipelines bursting, etc. The player must navigate through this series of obstacles to reach the lifepod bay. As he enters the lifepod bay, a titanium beam crashes down behind him, destroying the doorway itself and blocking all entry into the bay. A few lifepods are left, but only one is intact as the others are locked, with displays above them warning that the Lifepod's hulls are breached. The player climbs into Lifepod 5, and the current cutscene plays as the Aurora explodes and the player blacks out.

What do you guys think? I think that maybe the player can be something other than an engineer but it fits nicely. Maybe a planetary surveyor, or maybe a biologist or some kind of researcher. If so, then quite obviously the task that the player was assigned must be different.

Comments

• SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    Maybe for multiplayer.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Pretty solid idea. A tutorial wouldn't exactly go amiss in a game like this, especially if you're new and you have no idea what all the fragments look like. This also adds somewhat of a connection to the Aurora (something I've made multiple posts about, I won't go into detail ;))
    aft2001 wrote: »
    I think that maybe the player can be something other than an engineer but it fits nicely.
    It's widely accepted that the character is an engineer.

Sigmalx wrote: »
    Maybe for multiplayer.
    I imagined for multiplayer you'd both get in neighbouring Life Pods and the first one that lands gets hit by the second, tearing a side off of Player 1's Life Pod, causing it to start sinking. Whilst Player 2 gets the normal "Put out the fire, put out the fire, WHY IS THIS TAKING SO LONG?!" Player 1 has to navigate out of his sinking Life Pod.

• aft2001aft2001 Join Date: 2016-08-19 Member: 221500Members
    @Jamezorg
    I thought the opening sequence for Co-op would be two people climbing into the lifepod, since they can support two people each. A random one climbs in first, or whoever reaches the lifepod first if there's a scene before it. Then the other person climbs in, then it launches after 3 seconds. I'm not sure if both should black out or if they should experience the landing. They still gotta put out the fire, though...
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    aft2001 wrote: »
    @Jamezorg
    I thought the opening sequence for Co-op would be two people climbing into the lifepod, since they can support two people each. A random one climbs in first, or whoever reaches the lifepod first if there's a scene before it. Then the other person climbs in, then it launches after 3 seconds. I'm not sure if both should black out or if they should experience the landing. They still gotta put out the fire, though...
    And when you play solo, the other one is too late and ends up knocking at the lifepod hatch just as the launch countdown starts. Sorry. Boom.
  • aft2001aft2001 Join Date: 2016-08-19 Member: 221500Members
    @Jamezorg
    Or, instead of banging on the door and you feeling like a complete arse for letting him or her die, they get violently crushed in the doorway to the lifepod bay as the entire hallway collapses behind you. Though the feeling of despair and guilt would probably be something the devs would want, since it seems that they hate the player and want to scare them as much as possible.