Future DLCs poll

kJGkJG Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218794Members
Wow, would you look at that: Subnautica just got released! Through the developers hard work and dedication the game turned out to be a real box-office hit, and now exactly those developers sit around a round table, with a big grin and well-deserved full pouches, and discuss how to make even more out of the game.
In that case DLCs would obviously be the way to go. But what exactly do the fans want? Is it new biomes? More tech? Advanced storylines?
Out of boredom I'm taking the liberty to start a new poll investigating on exactly that. I am going to put down in there what I can think of right now, If I forgot something let me know. I don't know wether I can edit the poll later on however.
Keep in mind that the different answer don't necessary exclude eachother, but because you can decide for only one think of it as what would be your highest priority in future DLC content (I'm excluding multiplayer from the poll because it goes past of what I'm interested in in this)

Comments

• kJGkJG Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218794Members
    To start this off, I'd personally like for more wildlife to be added in the good old biomes, for the ecosystem to be more fleshed out before new biomes are getting thrown out there. Some of the deeper ones are looking really dead to me right now, and I haven't heard of any plans to change that in the near future
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    DLC is just a way companies are killing the idea of expansion packs by splitting them up and selling them so the cost of the parts would be greater than the cost of the whole.
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    Yea, I love expansion packs better... I feel they're more developed and they don't focus on just 1 aspects of the game.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    NO DLC.
    This game is wonderful and my number one favorite game! That's saying a lot. DLCs would ruin it. Why do we need to spend money to unlock story or creatures. I would like updates to bring new features not money.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2016
    NO DLC.
    This game is wonderful and my number one favorite game! That's saying a lot. DLCs would ruin it. Why do we need to spend money to unlock story or creatures. I would like updates to bring new features not money.

So basically you mean free DLC, UWE is still a business and new content and features are still going to require development time and money. So why wouldn't you want to pay for those expansion packs if they are full of awesome content/story/creatures/features/cookies. And it's a single player game, so there is no mandatory requirement either...

Also I'm hoping for workshop support, so this amazing community of ours can slap together custom content as well, which might end up as DLC. Similar to how UWE did this for NS2, free and low cost paid community DLC.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    We just got a big free expansion: The release was delayed from August to end of this year to polish and finish the game. Otherwise the game would have no real lava zone and lost river area as well as a crippled prawn suit, story and emperor. And maybe some other tech and creature behavior will get improved before release.

The only thing left for me is base extensions for more and better base construction to let me play this game repeating forever as an underwater tycoon:
    • working scanner room
    • cyclops docking
    • better snapgrid and rotation support for base constructs
    • a giant multipurpose glass dome
    • turbolifts
    • precursor defense systems for your base
    • warp portals
    • shock events like quakes, whirlpools or creature swarms attacking your base
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2016
    These expansions right now are not really expansions. The game is in pre-release so it's just content you already paid for, for when the game goes gold (v1.0). Any big content patches released after that will be DLC, not sure how UWE is going to handle it. But hey, I'll let them answer that :D

zetachron wrote: »
    whirlpools

How about no :scream:
  • rottendrakerottendrake Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217470Members
    You wanna be EA? Sure, lemme just delete the game and move on with my life. I don't really care about the cost, chopping up features is outright stupid.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Give us mod support and work alongside fans to support mods and a great community.

DLC can never please everyone, and can actively annoy a lot of people.
    Work alongside fans to create content we all want.

Then give the option to package mods into a DLC and create revenue that way.

I think that's the future of game DLC.
    Give us mod support and work alongside fans to support mods and a great community.

I'm not too sure of that. I generally don't like mods that much. You see, for me, immersion is the most important in this kind of games. Mods tend to be low-quality texture- and model-wise, also they lean to be over-the-top with their ambitions, which they then can not hold in the end. Just look at the forums and read some of the ideas there. Theyre just not doable. If you're going to do mod that doesn't lack in quality, you'd have to work with professionals. But those don't work for free, of course. Then we might as well go back and make it a DLC. I prefer company made extension that fit perfectly in the world.
    Then again, I don't know exactly what you mean by "Working alongside the fans". Care to elaborate on that?
    Damn, I shouldn't have added that last option. Now this thread was only used for people to hate on the DLC-system. :# I just wanted to know what kind of content you guys want added later on, content that hasn't been announced yet
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Ideally a good DLC would add all these things. Skyrim did this perfectly with all of its DLCs, adding everything listed (more tech=more weapons and armour). If a DLC doesn't include most of the things listed I don't find it worth buying. Call of Duty does this really poorly. They add 3 new maps and a handful of new weapons, maybe one new mode every DLC, and they release four over the course of a year. That's sixty pounds worth of DLC every year, more expensive than a World of Warcraft expansion, which adds a new continent most of the time, a new level cap, new story and so much more. DLCs are misused to the point where we hear those three letters and our first thought is "Oh boy, they're doing it again.".

I imagine Subnautica would add an expansion called "West Side" first, releasing the west side of the Aurora, new creatures, new islands, new blueprints (maybe for a Draconis or Manta) and so much more. Then they could probably add the Arctic expansion where we travel to the Arctic and we have to withstand freezing temperatures, see new biomes, fight for air above and be able to traverse the tops of the glaciers. Expansions > DLC.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
    Expansion Packs are way better IMO~
    kJG wrote: »
    Damn, I shouldn't have added that last option. Now this thread was only used for people to hate on the DLC-system. :# I just wanted to know what kind of content you guys want added later on, content that hasn't been announced yet

We want all kinds of content. I thought that was obvious.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    edited August 2016
    I'd personally like some kind of 'persistent survival mode' DLC... which had a more complex refining economy (with ongoing planning required but a minimum of grinding/busy work), and more varied disasters... sortof moving it more in the direction of Don't Starve. I want a reason to have bases in every biome and to have to revisit repair and transport supplies periodically!

This would give it nearly unlimited gameplay.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    In the possible expansion pack I want:
    Mo Creatures
    Mo Plants
    Mo Biomes
    Rock Puncher!
    Island Creatures
    New Technologies
    New Aurora Rooms
    New Base Pieces
    New Animations
    New Music
    Enhanced Graphics
    (Possible)More connections between NS2 and SN
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    kJG wrote: »

I'm not too sure of that. I generally don't like mods that much. You see, for me, immersion is the most important in this kind of games. Mods tend to be low-quality texture- and model-wise, also they lean to be over-the-top with their ambitions, which they then can not hold in the end. Just look at the forums and read some of the ideas there. Theyre just not doable. If you're going to do mod that doesn't lack in quality, you'd have to work with professionals. But those don't work for free, of course. Then we might as well go back and make it a DLC. I prefer company made extension that fit perfectly in the world.
    Then again, I don't know exactly what you mean by "Working alongside the fans". Care to elaborate on that?

I understand your concern, but I'm speaking from years of experience modding Total War games and using mods on just about every game I play.
    Some of the most active and best modders are people who worked on the original vanilla game, and have a continued love for the game despite it no longer being officially supported.
    I'm talking about high quality mods, not your low-quality-thousands-to-choose-from-I'm-confused-what's-the-best-option Fallout/Skyrim/whatever Nexus Mods. The huge influx of poor mods for games only really comes when a game is very popular and there's a lot of people who think they can mod, when they really can't. Rimworld springs to mind. I'm currently trying to find a decent balance of mods for that game but I can't even be bothered wading through the garbage, so the game sits idle on my PC not being played.

I don't see the plethora of low quality mods being an issue with a game like Subnautica, mainly because the vanilla game caters perfectly well for 99% of players.
    All we need is the ability to mod the game into a realistic diving experience and a much longer, drawn out and involved crafting system. Perhaps new rooms and systems later down the line.
    After that's done (and it will be, officially supported or not) then mods or DLC with extra content, creatures, biomes, whatever, that's all fine with me.

The best way would clearly be a big official expansion, not small DLC contents. Paying for one extra creature or new skins is killing gaming and needs to be discouraged at every opportunity.

And I know from my experience, modding communities working alongside the devs have come up with some of the absolute best expansions (based on original mods) for games.

I mean just look at the fantastic Long War mod for X-Com: Enemy Within and how the devs for X-Com 2 were massively influenced by it, and how it lead to the creation of an entirely new development studio. All because modders modded and the devs liked what they saw.

I'm currently playing a Long War campaign, while I really don't enjoy X-Com 2 at all, so it's not like all mods have to be poor quality.
  • _intothevoid__intothevoid_ Join Date: 2016-08-24 Member: 221653Members
    I would like a free expansion, like the recent update.
  • SoulX777SoulX777 Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221646Members
    Sorry but I will not pay even more money on this game when without multi-player it feels empty
    I would like a free expansion, like the recent update.
    SoulX777 wrote: »
    Sorry but I will not pay even more money on this game when without multi-player it feels empty

This is the sort of thing that really irks me. This game is not Minecraft, not everything will be free. I would gladly pay another $20 after the game is done for a well rounded expansion pack, and I feel like its a little silly to expect everything for free.
  • SoulX777SoulX777 Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221646Members
    This is the sort of thing that really irks me. This game is not Minecraft, not everything will be free. I would gladly pay another $20 after the game is done for a well rounded expansion pack, and I feel like its a little silly to expect everything for free.[/quote]

I have bought the game on PC but due to my hardware not being top of the line I could not play so I then bought it on xbox one I am obviously not expecting free stuff I liked the look of the game I loved the mechanics but you can only play so much by yourself before you get bored I looks and feels like a multiplayer game and I'm afraid with out multiplayer I will only be able to play for so long after each patch before I goto other games

• CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    edited August 2016
    SoulX777 wrote: »
    You're going to be really disappointed then...
    Flayra wrote: »
    Our thoughts on this have become more clear now, as we've added more to the game and see how much work we still have to do on the game.

We are NOT going to be adding multiplayer of any kind to Subnautica. We would have to start over from scratch and it would take us years of work to do it.

I know that's not what you guys want to hear but we have our hands FULL with the basic v1.0 version of Subnautica.
    Link to Dev Post
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    All I want is Optimization.