Searching for Fragments

DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
I'm currently running experimental. I've gone to the four corners of the map, but I'm missing a couple key blueprints. Moonpool and Modification Station. I can't find either, and I'm sailing around in a Cyclops feeling dumb. Anyone know what biomes to search? And what direction they are?

Comments

• Invisigoth247Invisigoth247 USA Join Date: 2016-03-06 Member: 213934Members
    Moonpool is in the mushroom forest and seamoth modification is in the red grass areas. However, I think the new patch that just came out in experimental changed where a lot of the fragments are. I think a lot of them are in wreckage now and a few are in the Aurora itself.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Yes, experimental branch moves all of the fragments other than the two safe-zone items (solar panel & seaglide) almost exclusively to wrecks. You might find them just laying around if you spend hours searching, but if you want to be certain of finding fragments then you need to explore wrecks.
  • raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    for me major problem at experimental is wrecks and their guardians, a bit too many predators like to group near each wreck and considering about all of defensive tech is hidden in wrecks... not so good. allowing stasis rifle to be found at safe swallows would fix this problem quite well
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    raven0ak wrote: »
    for me major problem at experimental is wrecks and their guardians, a bit too many predators like to group near each wreck and considering about all of defensive tech is hidden in wrecks... not so good. allowing stasis rifle to be found at safe swallows would fix this problem quite well

I agree that there's a tad too many hostiles near some of the wrecks, but giving the Stasis rifle to the player in earlygame removes virtually all challenge from hostiles in the game. Giving player the counter to Reaper Leviathans in safe shallows is a silly idea.
    bwc153 wrote: »
    raven0ak wrote: »

I agree that there's a tad too many hostiles near some of the wrecks, but giving the Stasis rifle to the player in earlygame removes virtually all challenge from hostiles in the game. Giving player the counter to Reaper Leviathans in safe shallows is a silly idea.

true it may bit bit over the top but considering other options, having seamoth and vehicle bay is solid other alternative if promotion of non-violent solutions (if you consider ram em dead with seamoth non-violent) while exploring early on is considered, as currently only real alternatives with wonky AI of numerous predators is knife em dead or facetank em with high amount of med packs
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    edited August 2016
    You can just buzz them. Swim past really fast (having fins helps) and lead them off. Eventually they'll get bored and swim off, but not all the way back to where they started. Lead them far enough away from the entrance that you can safely park your Seamoth there (if you have one), and you won't have any more issues.

I've never needed to kill anything, and the only reason I built a propulsion gun was for the hanging sting vines in the shroom base. Still haven't built a stasis gun.
    edited August 2016
    That's interesting... I wonder: Could I raise a bunch of Gasopods, then release them near the wrecks to scare off all the predators? Sure, those flatulent manatees might be annoying in their own way, but they're nowhere near as dangerous as Sand Sharks or Bone Sharks. I might just have to try this!

Plus: Do Reapers attack Gasopods or do they, like everything else, find them indigestible? Oh wow now I really have to test this idea!
    edited August 2016
    mirality: remember that on early game tech like seamoth and upgraded fins is heavily guarded within wrecks and not accessible right off the bat, also still on point is that wrecks containing tech are infested with predators and some have fairly broken AI on experimental (some leave you be...and some aggro you miles away and are willing to follow you all the way to hell and back)

Also, while you can use seaglide to buzz, since fragments you need may not even be on wreck you are at and battery charger is one thing that is on wrecks (one annoying wreck in kelp forest (contains for my current save likely missing mobile bay fragment) example is pretty well hidden within few dozen stalkers and heavy greenery) such joy needing dozen batteries per hunting trip and storing empty ones in chest while crafting more:) (still trying find wreck containing missing battery charger fragment)
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    My perspective might be slanted as I haven't played Experimental, just Stable. Though I didn't mean upgraded fins, just regular ones. And Seamoth fragments are out in the open -- granted there are some sandsharks and biters around them, but they're not hard to avoid with that strategy.
    edited August 2016
    mind though you also need mobile bay fragments to build seamoth:) (those parts at least on experimental are harder to get than seamoth itself) also not sure if its just experimental but "some sandsharks" or "some stalkers" is severe understatement (there can be dozens of em near wreck)

edit:
    adding little suggestion why and how stasis rifle wouldn't be too game breaking at safe shallows area:
    why:
    currently its gained end game where one has numerous other methods of survival such as seamoth+perimeter defense/torpedos, cyclops, exosuit making it kind of a niche item to own, where as during early game before access to even seamoth its capability to make wrecks exploring slightly safer without promoting violent approach of killing all predators nearby is tremendous.

how: fragments should be behind locked doors that you need to cut open in safe swallow wrecks, or alternatively some easier to reach wreck at kelp / grass plateau (, this method would also promote exploration and introducing grand reef (because mining at mountains is not that viable option early game)
    Fragments behind locked doors? Are you mad? You need a diamond to make a cutting torch. Where to find diamonds? Oh only in the farthest, deepest and most dangerous areas of the map. The cutting torch is an end-game item, unless the devs want to make it easier to build someday. You're more likely to finish building a Cyclops before a cutting torch.
    edited August 2016
    dagoth: diamonds are often found in grand reef (which is hostile free zone), albeit diving there you kind need tanks and rebreather accompanied with batteries and seaglide (and possibly starting by building small base camp at sparse reef)
  • Invisigoth247Invisigoth247 USA Join Date: 2016-03-06 Member: 213934Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    Fragments behind locked doors? Are you mad? You need a diamond to make a cutting torch. Where to find diamonds? Oh only in the farthest, deepest and most dangerous areas of the map. The cutting torch is an end-game item, unless the devs want to make it easier to build someday. You're more likely to finish building a Cyclops before a cutting torch.

Diamonds are also found in mountains, mushroom forest and underwater islands. It is most definitely not end game.
  • DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
    Thanks for all the tips. Yeah, I did notice that fragments were now centralized more in wrecks than before. Which is kind of a problem, since for me they can be kind of hard to find. I mean, to find a biome you have to generally just follow a direction of the compass. But wrecks, large as they are, get harder to spot in deeper water. Especially if the terrain is more craggy.

I hope that ideally, eventually you would be able to find a way to locate them. Either a kind of long range scanner specifically keyed to them, or have a way to find signals leading to the wrecks.

Considering they are going to be stuffed with vital progression technology, I don't think something like that is too out of question.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Dactylos wrote: »
    Thanks for all the tips. Yeah, I did notice that fragments were now centralized more in wrecks than before. Which is kind of a problem, since for me they can be kind of hard to find. I mean, to find a biome you have to generally just follow a direction of the compass. But wrecks, large as they are, get harder to spot in deeper water. Especially if the terrain is more craggy.

I hope that ideally, eventually you would be able to find a way to locate them. Either a kind of long range scanner specifically keyed to them, or have a way to find signals leading to the wrecks.

Considering they are going to be stuffed with vital progression technology, I don't think something like that is too out of question.

when you visit the Aurora, there should be another new room , like a giant scanner room, where you can find Signals that leads you to the big wrecks
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

Well, you can chill because the pressure module only requires the welder. Then you can go to the farthest (wrong), deepest (wrong), and most dangerous (really?) area of the map.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    The cutting torch is an end-game item, unless the devs want to make it easier to build someday. You're more likely to finish building a Cyclops before a cutting torch.

uwotm8?
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    edited August 2016
    That's why I proposed earlier access to the laser cutter, using titanium and crash powder for a rutile laser and then upgrade it with diamond (speed) and aluminum oxide (energy efficiency) later on.
    forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143492/tool-laser-cutter-earilier-access-and-upgrade-options
  • XadieXadie Germany Join Date: 2015-11-06 Member: 209020Members
    Soooo much exagaration in this thread. You just need fins and a O2 tank and you have reliable access to most biomes and few of the wrecks. On top of it: you only need a laser cutter in few areas - most wrecks interior is reachable without it. It's by far not so bad as some of you guys make it sound.
    (Wo-)Man up! And play better :-p

Just for giggles:

z1bbs8sl4nlk.jpg

Today I started anew (again) and that is my view from my first base. When I arrived i had just:
    Enough building material for 2x solar panels, 1x Corridor, 1x Hatch, 1x fabricator and 4 titanium to spare.
    A trusty knife, builder tool, scanner, fins and o2 tank had been my tools I had. For farming i got myself marblemelon seeds and chinese potato. In terms of food I also took 1 nutrient block and 2 filtered water bottles with me. The only fragments I aimed to get were the indoor growingbed and multipurppse room on the island and the solarpanel in the safezone. I unlocked few other things on the way when i happened to stumple on them but for the purpose of settling in the dune biome not nessesary.
    And there you go: starting base in the dunes, leviathan in the front yard, something like 6 sand sharks surrounding the base but I lived happily and prospered :-p

Getting into wrecks, scanning everything and getting out is just as easy.

Thing is: most fragments are more about convenience than necessity. Which also means: most fragments are reachable with the basic tools you have even if they are hidden in wrecks surrounded by 'dangerous' guards.