This is why terrain deformation needs to stay

MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
So I might have made this shape scooping up this ground with the terraformer, but I don't remember making this shape. I stumbled across this and thought "WHOA, that looks like a Leviathan claw mark!"

7w8ii14xfnps.jpg

Comments

• AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    My reasons for wanting to go are the same as @Calarand77
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    As others have pointed out, the cons of keeping it in outweigh the positives. Making the terrain fully static would mean it wouldn't have to constantly auto-update and regenerate every few meters you travel, and it's pretty bad down in the Lost River right now. Traveling with the seamoth quickly causes that to crop up a lot, especially when speeding through the Mushroom Forest.

It's a cool feature yes, but with the limited resources that UnkWorlds has (And it's always a case of Time/Resources sadly enough) cutting the feature for optimization purposes was the route they had to take.
  • Invisigoth247Invisigoth247 USA Join Date: 2016-03-06 Member: 213934Members
    I honestly only used to terraformer once when I first made it just to check it out. Never really found a use for it and haven't used it since. It's kinda cool I guess, but at the same time there is really no need for it. And if by removing it from the game cuts the pop-in then I am all for removing it.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Then your Cyclops gets stuck on a chunk of terrain and you have no way to get it unstuck because you can't dig out any more. That's when people will realize they should have kept the terraformer.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    We will still have console commands right? "Dig" will still work?

If so, getting stuck isn't an issue.
    edited July 2016
    DagothUr wrote: »
    Then your Cyclops gets stuck on a chunk of terrain and you have no way to get it unstuck because you can't dig out any more. That's when people will realize they should have kept the terraformer.

Personally (and I think a lot of people will agree) I really think a massive improvement in performance is worth a stuck Cyclops.

Only places I can really think of the cyclops easily getting stuck is in shallow biomes like the Safe Shallows (Not that you should try driving into such areas mind you) and the Floater Island's shores. And the Blood Kelp Trench at times.

The risk of getting your cyclops stuck is worth the performance increases, in my opinion. If it REALLY becomes that much of an issue, and not a few isolated cases of misfortune and/or poor driving decisions, then they might try and find an alternative to assist in getting the big sub unstuck. Maybe some fancy tech that would push it away a bit from the surface its on - like the exosuit's thrusters or... Something else entirely.

We will still have console commands right? "Dig" will still work?

If so, getting stuck isn't an issue.

Depends. The command deforms the terrain, and they're removing the deformation mechanics entirely. So, it's likely the command would either be removed or become obsolete and do absolutely nothing when typed in.
  • TerrazinTerrazin Germany Join Date: 2016-03-01 Member: 213688Members
    I don't think the dig command will still work. We can probably get a new command that can make the Cyclops unstuck though,
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    For a new command (to get unstuck) it could be as simple as a 'respawn at the surface' command.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Things might not get stuck any more if the performance allows to load terrain before objects. This could also fix animals clipping through the ground and bouncing off when the terrain physics kick in.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Rezca wrote: »

Personally (and I think a lot of people will agree) I really think a massive improvement in performance is worth a stuck Cyclops.

Only places I can really think of the cyclops easily getting stuck is in shallow biomes like the Safe Shallows (Not that you should try driving into such areas mind you) and the Floater Island's shores. And the Blood Kelp Trench at times.

I mean I've gotten a Cyclops stuck once EVER and that was when I spawned one in the Safe Shallows like an idiot. I may have had to dig it out, but it was my own dumb move that got it stuck there in the first place.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    If you are to construct a cyclops, make sure to release the vehicles bay above deep water, like the grassy plateaus.
  • CeepsCeeps Join Date: 2005-01-23 Member: 37626Members
    I think it should be an end-game thing that you can only craft with the rarest material in the depths of hell once you've progressed through everything else. That, or restrict it to only being able to take "soft" material near the surface, but no hard rock (so that when you go deeper and need to break stuff with an exosuit rock punch or use floaters to move the rocks) you can't just dig around.
  • RhaniiRhanii USA Join Date: 2016-07-20 Member: 220487Members
    JB940 wrote: »
    why they can't just have a toggle on level creation ("Editable terrain? (Warning, can lag your game serverely and causes huge save files).

They already have both types of ground coded in.

I agree with you, this solution makes a lot of sense and would let people choose.

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited July 2016
    Rezca wrote: »

I mean I've gotten a Cyclops stuck once EVER and that was when I spawned one in the Safe Shallows like an idiot. I may have had to dig it out, but it was my own dumb move that got it stuck there in the first place.

I do understand that most of the time its the player's fault for getting the Cyclops stuck. But what needs to be understood here is not from a veteran player's point of view its from a completely new player's point of view

A veteran player knows how big the cyclops is and wont/should'nt spawn it in the Shallows but a new player who never saw a cyclops before cannot know exactly how big it is and might very well make the mistake of spawning it right on a sand dune. I remember the first time i made one thats exactly what happened, i didnt knew how big it was and it got stuck on a dune lol

Granted, a new player will make this error once then realize its not a terribly great idea to make one in the Shallow but the point is to how can we avoid this error to be made in the first place since digging sand to free a beached cyclops will soon be out of the question?

Maybe the game can evaluate the space there is below where the Cyclops will be made and send a warning on screen that there is not sufficent space to safely build it? i dunnno ....
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    Rhanii wrote: »
    JB940 wrote: »
    why they can't just have a toggle on level creation ("Editable terrain? (Warning, can lag your game serverely and causes huge save files).

They already have both types of ground coded in.

I agree with you, this solution makes a lot of sense and would let people choose.

I'd be totally down for this, especially since I got my base kinda wrapped around a location that would require the terrain to make room for it. :neutral: After spending so much time on it, especially practicing on recreating it for new games (updates and 1.0)... it's really disappointing that all those hours were for naught.
  • TwevOWNEDTwevOWNED Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219546Members
    You can still keep the game like this. Just take the current version and stick it on a different hard drive or usb.
  • WaviestBow6WaviestBow6 Join Date: 2016-06-05 Member: 218131Members
    55fgdfp35kt4.jpg

Or they could have an option for terraforming/voxel destruction. like space engineers! :)
    But will see what they do.
    Having it be a one-time toggleable option on world start would be a good solution and one I could totally support, though they might have their reasons for why they don't want to / can't / etc. They know their games coding better than we do, so even keeping it an option might not be worth it to them.
    From what I've read I think they are disabling the story in creative. so as someone said before they could keep terraforming as a creative only thing but just what I wanted to say.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I'm no coder, but I'd rather not pile work up on the devs right now.

Keeping teraforming in a separate game version/as an option may very well be just a matter of changing one line in the code, but let's not forget that the development of SN is not finished yet. With terraforming removed from the main game - and improved performance as the result - I bet there will be previously impossible to implement possibilities/ideas/mechanics that the devs will want to bring in or replace the current ones with. Considering that, keeping terraforming as an option would essentially mean developing two, suddenly very different, games at the same time. I'd rather they focused on getting us all the planned awesomeness for 1.0 instead.

I think we need to finally learn that players can't have (and shouldn't have) absolutely everything they want in the game, eat the cookie and keep the cookie. In this case, I trust in the devs that they know what's best for their game.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I'd keep terrain deformation, but limit it only to Creative Mode. In other modes the performance hit caused by it could actually be... not a thing the player wants when a Reaper Leviathan shows up...
    edited July 2016
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    I'd keep terrain deformation, but limit it only to Creative Mode. In other modes the performance hit caused by it could actually be... not a thing the player wants when a Reaper Leviathan shows up...

I'm not sure that'd change the fact that the underlying mechanics of deformation would still be there - Creative, Survival, Freedom... It doesn't matter what game mode you pick, the terrain coding and mechanics wouldn't be affected. Keeping deformation in period would affect all game modes, whether it's limited to one or not.

Originally I felt that keeping the Terraformer a Creative only feature would work just fine, but its the deformation mechanics themselves that are contributing to the pop-in issues. Even if you never touched the Terraformer your whole game, the coding that handles deformation will still be there slowing things down.

That's why they're cutting the whole thing. I'm sure if they had the resources and time, they'd find a way to keep it all in, but with the limited resources they do have sometimes sacrifices have to be made.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    "I think we should keep such and such feature because its not that hard, even though I have no programming experience and have no idea whether that's true or not." lol Just because something sounds easy doesn't mean it is. Its as Fathom said, an inefficient use of limited resources for something that doesn't have much of a purpose and causes extremely noticeable performance issues.