Liquid Breathing Apparatus

GreyFox33GreyFox33 Australia Join Date: 2016-07-13 Member: 220145Members
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the game and this is my first post! :)

Boy do I love this game! I can foresee myself playing this for a long time.

Anyways, a bit about myself. I have always loved the water growing up, going to the beach and have always had a major interest in the underwater world. I am a certified diver and just love exploring, which bring me to my idea.

Now i'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but what if the devs were to implement a liquid breathing apparatus (if you have seen 'The Abyss", then you'll know what i'm talking about). I think it would be great to add increased bottom time at the extreme depths. It should be somewhat complex to build also, considering it would probably be aimed at more end game players. Also, some sort power requirement may be required to power the artificial ventilation/gill system.

For anyone who is interested in this, have a read here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/into-the-abyss-the-diving-suit-that-turns-men-into-fish-2139167.html

Thoughts?

Comments

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Oh yes I too know the felling of loving the water. It's one of my most favourite environments. Now I do love the idea and I have had a similar one but for real life divers. Although I'm afraid it's already implemented in the game. It's called the rebreather. It allows you to use less oxygen at greater depths. Although it does not do what you probably imagine your idea to do. Maybe instead of technology it could be added to the list of genome editing you can do in game. But again I do love the idea and since this is your first post I will definitely put an awesome (Not that I wasn't going to do that anyway).
  • GreyFox33GreyFox33 Australia Join Date: 2016-07-13 Member: 220145Members
    Hey Nautical Nick,

Thanks for your reply. I see you and I have a lot in common then :). Yes, the re-breather! It does come in handy that's for sure.It's an item that never leaves my inventory lol. I was thinking with the liquid lung, or whatever we want to call it would be used at 1000M+. Also, i'd say it would take up maybe 6 slots in the inventory considering how much tech would be in it plus the bulkiness of it. Anyways just throwing around ideas :)

I do like you idea of the genome editing too. Find the correct blueprint or genome sequence and hey presto, liquid lungs lol.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    LBA would definitely be an improvement. It's kind of silly that a titanium hulled submersible has a crush depth but a frail, organic human does not. I'm just going to assume that the devs have something in mind along this route already.
    edited July 2016
    Just an addition to the above; as another negative to wearing this, perhaps your view could be more limited compared to the standard goggles. (considering it is a full enclosed helmet system).
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Instead of it taking up inventory it could be added to the helmet slot or either one of the slots beside the helmet slot, and yes, I do believe we have a lot in common.
    Good point. The helmet slot would definitely suffice. I actually kinda forgot about the slots available on your character lol.
    This also opens the door to more crafting and resource questing in general as SCUBA physics get more realistic over time. For example, start with Helium mixes for oxygen tanks for dives below, what was it, 150m? Then switch over to full on Flouring Liquid Oxygen mix for the truly insane depths.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    The liquid oxygen used is corrosive as oxygen, but it's used for very deep sea diving and premature infants. For about a kilometer, the oxygen gas mix for diving is used, after, it has to be liquid oxygen or a pressurized sealed submersible
    crafting or creating the liquid oxygen mix could also be an option, as it would eventually need to be replaced just like O2 needs to be refilled.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Fluid breathing systems (such as the one used in 'The Abyss') use an oxygenated fluorocarbon solution to transfer a carefully-monitored and constantly adjusted amount of oxygen directly to the diver's lungs. Pure oxygen becomes increasingly toxic at any depth below 2 Atmospheres (10 metres/33 FSW), so normal compressed air is only used for dives at depths less than 40 metres. Beyond that depth, you'll need special gas mixtures that include lower percentages of oxygen and nitrogen, plus helium or hydrogen. The FBS is supposed to have a maximum safe working depth around 2000 feet/609.6 metres.

In real-world terms, you're much better off using an ExoSuit for any depth below 100 metres in Subnautica.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    wht about the rebreather
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Funsauce32 wrote: »
    What about the rebreather?

The Rebreather in Subnautica only serves to make your O2 supply last slightly longer at increased depth.

Technically, real-world rebreathers are dangerous to use below 33 feet/10 metres because of oxygen toxicity at increased depth.
    I believe there are advanced rebreathers available for sport diving that have an onboard computer to control the breathing mix, although they are hideously expensive, very complex and require a specialized training course before you can safely use one.

Here's the first one I could find with a quick search: http://www.abyss.com.au/scuba/pc/Explorer-Recreational-Rebreather-p7819.htm
    Yes, rebreathers IRL are more of an expensive snorkling toy.
    Given this discussion is about the LBA and deep diving, who wants to go deeper than say 2000M? The devs could implement some sort of special sealed nano diving suit which hardens upon decent (maybe even requiring a power source).

Dont mind me im just throwing around ideas. :)
  • 747snoodles747snoodles United States Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222259Members
    If be up for as long as it wasn't op meaning a battery wouldn't last long, otherwise it would be way to easy of a game
  • ScrabquidScrabquid Germany Join Date: 2016-09-05 Member: 222092Members
    Yea, I do remember this movie too. It left a deep impression.

And I like the idea (tossed you an awesome), what could be imaginable is, when (if) the devs iron out the diving mechanics (like ascending too fast from great depht, you suffer from ...errrm... the gas in your blood bubbling up... you guys know what I mean. I don't know the right term in english) that we will need different gear for varying dephts.

Lets say we are fine with what we have now till ~50/60M
    50-100m we would need Gas-mixture bottles,
    100-400m we take the FBS,
    400-900m we take this nuytco.com/products/exosuit/
    and anything deeper we take our prawn out for a walk.

I always wanted to learn diving... but thats never going happen now.