Exterior stairs and vertical building.

DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
I can't be the only one to have noticed this, but building upwards is a massive pain in the butt. The vertical connector can't connect to a multipurpose room, and trying to build anything at or above sea level is hair pulling out frustrating.

An alternative fix would be being able to use the mousewheel while constructing to zoom the piece further away, so you don't have to facehug everything your placing. Though being able to make an abovewater base with multiple platforms connected with stairs would be awesome.

Comments

• fakin2fakin2 Vancouver, BC Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220012Members
    I noticed this too, because I have a glitch where if you build underwater, there's water in your base that you can't get out :neutral: . So I decided I'd build my base above water. I couldn't, so I just built it at sea level. Then, all the pieces of my base wouldn't connect, so I had to put my moon pool underneath my base. Then, to connect it, I decided I would use a vertical connector. It didn't work, so my base is in pieces. It's really frustrating, I have to dock my seamoth, leave and swim to my base. Then, the scanner room wouldn't connect either, so it's really close, but not connected to my base.
  • DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
    Try rotating the scanner room. That actually let me connect it to my base, because only certain walls can connect via tunnels. But yeah, the moon pool was very finicky with its placement.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    edited July 2016
    The issues that I have with vertical building is that vertical tubes only come in one type and that the ladder movement is instant and has no animation to it. I find that very immersion breaking for one simple reason: So much of the game revolves around the mystery and dread of going deeper, yet vertical movement within bases is completely devoid of any sense of interaction.

Let's say that I go into Creative Mode and start a floating base near the surface. Then I add a hallway and then start building vertical tubes going strait down to a down of 50m, then end with another hallway. I enter the base, click on the ladder, and poof! I'm now 50m lower than before. Now let's say that I did that but started my floating base over some epic abyss and then I build vertical tubes non-stop all the way down to a depth of 2000m before capping it off with another hallway at the bottom. Then I go in, add one ladder segment (same materials cost no matter what size it is) that goes on for two kilometers and - once again - I can basically teleport from the surface to the bottom in one second.

No animation, no looking out windows, no appreciation or sense of dread over the vast distance that I just traversed, nor time spent in motion. Poof, I'm the surface, poof I'm at the bottom. The only time I experience any sense of transition is when I'm first building it.

So here is my suggestion: 1st, expand the ladders with animations and make people have to physically move up and down with the W/S keys, while leaving the mouse to move their heads to they can look out the windows. 2nd, expand the types of vertical tubes (you've got glass everything else already) so that those windows are actually worth looking out of. 3rd, add wider tubers and elevators for those of us who want to invest more resources to indulge in laziness. You know, just kick back and enjoy the view while the little platform disk moves up & down the tube like a hotel glass elevator.

Let us enjoy our little Bioshock moments as we return to our deep sea bases, looking out the window as the elevator pod descends from the bright shallows into the neon black depths we worked so hard to get to.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    the vertical connector is more of a verticle strut and less of a connector. In my opinion a way to fix this, would be allowing I and L corridors to be rotated to work with gravity and be built inside the if needed. this would also allow for two new places in the multi-purpose rooms to be built upon. Imagine have an animated ladder corridor going down 50M in a glass tube and can look out as fish try to get in or examine you closely. an elevator could be a freight elevator outside or an interior one connecting spaces of 20M or more. conversely, a special room for a protect "shark cage" elevator on rails that can take us to the bottom in a protected box, and if sync'd with another base. I have a base above a crater leading to the ILZ, and one at the bottom of the crater; it would be nice if I could send supplies to the base. Lastly, it would be late game, but a robotics blueprint for simple tasks, like say mining in hard to reach places, equipped with a stasis rifle for defense, or have a sonar pulse HUD module. Anybody else want to discuss robotics in another discussion?
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Hmmm, or we could make it so the the three-way connector can be rotated so that one opening faces up, then allow the other tubes to be rotated vertical to match it. That way no new models would be needed for the tubes themselves. The only new model needed would be the lift platform that moves the player up/down, and we could free up the RAM for that by taking out the ladders & current vertical tubes.

Sounds like a win-win.