Predator AI bug: Predators dryhumping the base to get to the Alien Containment fish

SkirlasvoudSkirlasvoud Groningen Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220000Members
If you build a base near or on a biome with any type of predator fish and you make the mistake of creating an Alien Containment with fish in that base, the nearby predators will go mad.

Even without windows, they can sense the fish you have inside and they get stuck in a hunting routine trying to catch them. The result is something that looks like half a dozen sharks/stalkers making sweet love to your base as they keep rubbing sensually up against the walls, clipping through them in and outside the base and generally being a nuisance. It looks stupid, lewd and glitchy.

Predators shouldn't concern them with fish you're growing inside the base and they should be smart enough to figure out they can't reach them.

Comments

• Invisigoth247Invisigoth247 USA Join Date: 2016-03-06 Member: 213934Members
    Speaking of stalker bugs... When you hatch them in the alien containment and release them in the wild they are no longer docile and will attack.
  • SaladExistsSaladExists Canada Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219747Members
    edited July 2016
    Speaking of stalker bugs... When you hatch them in the alien containment and release them in the wild they are no longer docile and will attack.

that's normal because the one in the alien containment tank is a miniature adult version because there is not enough space for the whole thing. problably sticking in 100 ampeels will break your game. speaking of that...... IM GONNA SET FASTHATCH AND SPAWN 100 AMPEEL EGGS IN THE ALIEN CONTAINMENT AQUARIUM!!! ITS SOOO EVVVVIIIILLLLLL HAHAHAHHAHAHA
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members

Unfortunately that's not a bug but a "Working as intended" mechanic. They're not supposed to be passive anymore once released sadly.

The only reason you'd want to release a predator is if you're repopulating a biome that lost its predator fauana, or if you're wanting to muck about with the ecosystem like releasing Bone Sharks into the Grand Reef or Kelp Forests.

Would love if that was a feature though - you hatched them, so they won't attack you. Maybe they won't FOLLOW you and whatnot, but they'd still be nice to you. Just make sure you know which one is a tank-hatched Stalker and which one is natrually born ;P
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I have another stalker bug in my game that I reported on F8 but I might aswell mention it here aswell. Whenever I approach a certain creepvine forest, a stalker starts chasing you and than it calls a friend than they both follow you back to the pod/your base. Even after you enter they stick around for about a minute. If you stand on top of your pod while they are around they'll start jumping up to get! It's really annoying.
  • NorulvNorulv Norway Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218528Members
    Uh, oh... That explains that lone sandshark visiting me at the edge of the safe shallows and kelp forest. If we only could make some stasis/ repulson/ propulsion turrets for our bases. And set them to target predators for example.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    On the other hand, maybe we can exploit this to our advantage? Build an aquarium at the bottom of a hostile biome and stick some tasty fish in there, then watch as all the predators swarm that one spot. Now you can explore in peace & safety. :smile:
  • WastelandJoeWastelandJoe USAUSAUSA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219591Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    On the other hand, maybe we can exploit this to our advantage? Build an aquarium at the bottom of a hostile biome and stick some tasty fish in there, then watch as all the predators swarm that one spot. Now you can explore in peace & safety. :smile:

The problem is that bases have serious, sometimes game-breaking problems. mobs aggro you through the base, damage hits you through the base, fish, plants and the waterline clips through the base. and serious graphic overload occurs when you build a large base because of poor optimization.

Bases really need to be fixed because that's a major part of the game.
    PS71ihG.jpg

Moral of the story: Don't build aquariums unless you never want to be able to get into your own base ever again.
  • SkirlasvoudSkirlasvoud Groningen Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220000Members
    Oh whow, and judging by the look of that picture, you're pretty far inside the Safe Shallows too. Those Sand sharks had it out for your aquarium from hundreds of meters away.
    edited July 2016
    Yup. And the weirdest part? The fish inside were:

1 x Sandshark
    1 x Stalker
    1 x Gasopod
    1 x Jellyray

So two predators, one of their own species, and two defensive fish that predators normally avoid. In other words, nothing they should be considering as food in the first place. How does that work?

Right now I'm thinking of ways to tie this in with acid mushroom filled exterior grow beds to make a trap to make all the predators kill themselves.