Will subnautica support the Vive?

moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
Just got a vive and really hoping to be able to use it with subnautica. TheBlu was amazing. I can only imagine how cool subnautica would be.

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    How would the controls work? I don't have a vive, but I have seen videos of it, and the only way that you can actually move around in the game in an area bigger than your own space that I know of so far is by teleporting. Wouldn't that ruin the gameplay a bit? Or are there buttons which you can press to actually move around in a game?
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    My guess is you'd have to wave your arms like the swimming animation in order to move around, and turn your head for up, down, left, and right. On land and in bases it'd be a jogging motion
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You can sit and use the vive just like the rift. It supports both.
  • WaviestBow6WaviestBow6 Join Date: 2016-06-05 Member: 218131Members
    My guess is you'd have to wave your arms like the swimming animation in order to move around, and turn your head for up, down, left, and right. On land and in bases it'd be a jogging motion

Wouldn't that get tiring after a while. Well anyways at one point they did say they were messing around with it in the cyclops. But I do not believe it will ever be implemented into the final version. Sorry :(
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Certainly would remove the old perception of gamers being overweight people that get no exercise. Of course, that will only last until VR gets replaced by Neural Interfaces. Spending a few hours on a Vive with those wands would certainly give anyone a workout.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Woah, that swimming animation sounds awesome! Might indeed get tiring after a while, and the ability to use a keyboard/controller at the same time is also great, but actually swinging your arms just sounds (though may not actually be) cool!
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016
    For now, making the vive support identical to the oculus support is all I would ask for. Longer term though, it would be amazing to have a subnautica themed game that used room-sized submersibles and diving cages to support the room scale mode. It would be just so amazing to look out the "windows" of my room into the subnautica world, and grab peepers as they swam by.