A bright future of NS2 or Death?

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Radimax what happens, by your logic, once every human on earth owns the game?

They have unimaginably huge gamecon orgies and give birth to millions of babies that all grow up playing the game and spending all their money on it, and the cycle continues.

Eventually it is immeasurably more likely that you are a player of this game than not, and it becomes evident that all life in the universe was simply a precursor to the fulfilling gameplay offered by NS2, with its appealing modern graphics and rookie-friendly skill floor, coupled with a metagame skill ceiling that just keeps rising beyond all sense or logic. Galactic cores are harvested to power the servers, banks of which extend beyond the observable universe. Flayra transcends to a level of wealth unknown to even the gods, encased in orgasm-inducing californium-diamond composite solar battleship armor lined with Plutonian white truffle leather. Ducks wear hats for no conceivable reason.
    And maybe, just maybe, if you log in to NS2 once all this has transpired, you might be able to get a decent game going.

I had always hoped ns2 would lead to first contact. Great news!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    @Radimax what happens, by your logic, once every human on earth owns the game?

Obviously we will start to colonize other planets to get more NS2 players... How is this even a question man!
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    you guys are great :) if only there was more people like this
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2016
    how would the matchmaking even work? rely on community server owners to allow you to use their servers? with how stupidly expensive hardware is for quality NS2 servers, I don't see UWE putting up half of the amount required.

just go the easy, tried and true weekend sale or f2p free weekend to get a momentary boost in peak players for the month.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited July 2016
    how would the matchmaking even work? rely on community server owners to allow you to use their servers? with how stupidly expensive hardware is for quality NS2 servers, I don't see UWE putting up half of the amount required.

just go the easy, tried and true weekend sale or f2p free weekend to get a momentary boost in peak players for the month.

you just gotta make the "play now" button 10x bigger so it takes half the screen and you hide the server browser button somewhere in the option like valve does with tf2 and csgo
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    I know this is a necro but after 6 pages of "Evolve showed us the holy grail to save NS2" i wanted to point out THIS for future "We need F2P" discussions:
    Right now in this moment NS2 has more players than Evolve.
    Over and out.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2017

you just gotta make the "play now" button 10x bigger so it takes half the screen and you hide the server browser button somewhere in the option like valve does with tf2 and csgo

Haha I booted up TF2 after a long time and was all like... Wait where's my server browser and what are these performance bars (ping) :D

dePARA wrote: »
    I know this is a necro but after 6 pages of "Evolve showed us the holy grail to save NS2" i wanted to point out THIS for future "We need F2P" discussions:
    Over and out.

We had foreseen this tragedy :open_mouth:
  • Cabinetduck1147Cabinetduck1147 The city outside of Ns2_Eclipse Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207832Members
    Is this still a feasible idea? To F2P ns2?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members

No, not really.

Would require a system in place... And that system doesn't jive with the hive 69.gif
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    ... doesn't jive with the hive 69.gif

You looking to get shot, son?
    3z4ulxlsgp4h.jpg
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Over and out.

In the past as an advocate for F2pNS2 I have used Evolve as an example to watch. I read your post and thought I was going to have to eat some crow now. But one thing Donald Trump has taught me is to check the facts.

Evolve:
    Last 30 Days Avg 401.9
    December 2016 Avg 473.4

NS2:
    Last 30 Days Avg 273
    December 2016 Avg 232

My argument still stands.

• AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    TinCan wrote: »
    Over and out.

In the past as an advocate for F2pNS2 I have used Evolve as an example to watch. I read your post and thought I was going to have to eat some crow now. But one thing Donald Trump has taught me is to check the facts.

Evolve:
    Last 30 Days Avg 401.9
    December 2016 Avg 473.4

NS2:
    Last 30 Days Avg 273
    December 2016 Avg 232

So, you're an idiot? Great to know.

Evolve is still trending downwards rapidly and is just about performing even with NS2 despite being a newer game and having a relaunch and having a larger initial playerbase even when it was twice the price of NS2.

http://steamcharts.com/cmp/273350,4920
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    So what. Maybe Evolve is just a boring game while NS2 is not.
    Goto the Evolve forum and post your last last post there @RevanCorana .
    And then wait for the feedback.
    You can post the results here later.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    You could make it FTP and start all current (paid) players at the max lvl, say lvl 50.

Start FTP players at lvl 0 with reduced armor, ammo, etc... have them pay 1$ for 5 levels or allow them to progress to lvl 50 via accomplishments.

If we get 3,000 players only 1/10 players will be maxed.... and on green servers they will all be low level.

Skilled players will Pub stom no matter what, and some will buy lvl 50 thinking that it will make a difference. BUT others will work at it trying to lvl up and may actually get good enough to stick around.

Sure the occasional smurf will Pub stomp even as a lvl 1, but in doing so he will fulfill lots of objectives and rank up fast(and skill)...

Someone will always have a minimum hour/skill/player server where we can play 6v6 with other players with 1,000 hours ... but there needs to be a feeder program.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Over and out.

Evolve:
    Last 30 Days Avg 401.9
    December 2016 Avg 473.4

NS2:
    Last 30 Days Avg 273
    December 2016 Avg 232

explain why he's an idiot. or is this another poltical reference? someone call morton, we've found a salt mine.
    2cough wrote: »
    Over and out.

Evolve:
    Last 30 Days Avg 401.9
    December 2016 Avg 473.4

NS2:
    Last 30 Days Avg 273
    December 2016 Avg 232

explain why he's an idiot. or is this another poltical reference? someone call morton, we've found a salt mine.

Three points.

One. That he doesn't check the facts before.
    Two. That he thinks Trump is associated with facts.
    Three. That he possibly thinks that Trump is truthful although that can be interpreted both ways.

But look at you, taking it personally, getting all testy. Poor thing.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members

And you're not?

How about we all get off the topic of politics, hmm? And no, Aeglos, TinCan didn't start it.
    edited January 2017
    How did Trump get involved with the death of NS2....... *dramatic dotdotdot pause* ...

I do recall something about Walls of Lame...
    coolitic wrote: »

And you're not?

How about we all get off the topic of politics, hmm? And no, Aeglos, TinCan didn't start it.

No, I'm not. I don't even know how you even came to that conclusion.

Nice strawman by the way, you didn't even wait for me to respond.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    That is a very strange chart... why are the peaks and troughs of ns2 and evolve out of phase? Do ns2 players just play later in the day? Interesting...
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Over and out.

Evolve:
    Last 30 Days Avg 401.9
    December 2016 Avg 473.4

NS2:
    Last 30 Days Avg 273
    December 2016 Avg 232

Three points.

Three. That he possibly thinks that Trump is truthful although that can be interpreted both ways.

not taking a single thing personally, just have noticed a couple times now you've brought up politics in ways entirely unrelated to whatever topic is being discussed. you're tilted, man.

its okay, happens to everyone from time to time.
    ah, btw @TinCan
    Feel free to post your "Last 30 days" example again here in one month.
    You would be surprised.
    Right now in this moment while i post this Evolve and NS2 have the same playercount:
    NS2 402, Evolve 405.

I give Evolve lets say 2 month, then its real dead while people still play NS2.

And this "Evolve is a boring game, NS2 is not " argument is just stupid.
    Sure, Evolve is a boring game. But NS2 on the other hand is to complex for an casual F2P player.
    THATS the reason why it had always a low playerbase.

You want a high playerbase?
    Then dumb down NS2, so its super casual friendly.
    Oh, wait. This is something noone wants.
    Makes sense.
    Over and out.

Evolve:
    Last 30 Days Avg 401.9
    December 2016 Avg 473.4

NS2:
    Last 30 Days Avg 273
    December 2016 Avg 232

Three points.

not taking a single thing personally, just have noticed a couple times now you've brought up politics in ways entirely unrelated to whatever topic is being discussed. you're tilted, man.

I've been disparaging him since early last year. Its not because he won, its because he is a disgusting person.
    Over and out.

Evolve:
    Last 30 Days Avg 401.9
    December 2016 Avg 473.4

NS2:
    Last 30 Days Avg 273
    December 2016 Avg 232

Three points.

I've been disparaging him since early last year. Its not because he won, its because he is a disgusting person.

I dont disagree w/ you, but guess what - nobody wants to read about it here.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    We sure have the best community, don't we, folks?
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    I have not played the Evolve game so no opinion on that. I hope NS2 numbers kill it next month.
    You want a high playerbase?
    Yes. F2P would do that. Micro-transactions would add more fun.

64-bit will be real. Now that is exciting!

I wish I didn't try to use humor with a political reference earlier.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Micro-transactions would add more fun.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Easy solution: F2P, but you have to pay to be onos or exo.