Peeper Burgers: One Survivor's Recipe

scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
[because we're grilling today, on the back patio]

Peeper Burgers

Ingredients
  • 1 ½ pounds of boneless, skinless Peeper (Salmon works well, if you can't get Peepers)
  • 2 teaspoons Koosh mustard (Dijon is an alternative)
  • 2 Small Marblemelons, peeled and cut into chunks (Shallots are also a good choice)
  • ½ cup coarse Bulboa Tree crumbs (regular old bread crumbs are fine, just use coarse ones)
  • 1 tablespoon Lantern Fruit, drained and rinsed (Capers can be used here for similar salty taste)
  • 2 tablespoons Creepvine Seed Pod oil (butter, olive oil, or non stick spray work as well)
  • Salt
  • Seasoning (whatever you happen to enjoy on burgers)

Preparation
1. Cut the fish into chunks/cubes about a half inch on a side. Put about ¼ of the fish into a food processor, along with the mustard. Run the machine until the mixture becomes paste like, stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary. This puree will help hold the larger pieces of fish together later while cooking, and help prevent it from drying out.
2. Add the Marblemelons and remaining fish to the mixture in the food processor, and pulse the machine on and off until the fish is chopped and well combined with the puree. No pieces should be larger than about a quarter inch on a side, but be careful not to make the mixture too fine.
3. Scrape the mixture into a bowl, and then use your hands to stir in the crumbs and Lantern Fruit, adding salt and seasonings (to taste). Shape into four burgers. (You can cover and refrigerate the burgers for a few hours at this point, if you need to).
4. Place your oil in a 12 inch nonstick skillet, turn the heat to medium-high. When the oil is hot, cook for 2-3 minutes per side, turning once. To check for doneness, make a small cut and peek inside, the inside should be a light pink – don't overcook them or they will be dry. Alternatively, you can grill them, let them firm up for about 4 minutes on the first side, then flip and finish them up on the other side for just another minute or two.

Serve on buns, a bed of greens, or by themselves. Citrus/Lemon wedges and Tabasco or any other sauce you like goes well with them.

Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings) All numbers are approximate, and adjusted for Earth standard nutrients. Your nutrition may vary, depending on alien ingredients.
484 calories; 29g fat; 9g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 8g monounsaturated fat; 7g polyunsaturated fat; 15g carbohydrates; 1g dietary fiber; 3g sugars; 37g protein; 108mg cholesterol; 863mg sodium

Cooking Notes
If you finely grind part of the fish, it will bind the rest, which can be more coarsely chopped to retain its moisture during cooking. Some bread crumbs keep the burger from becoming as densely packed as a (bad) meatloaf. This approach, along with a few simple seasonings, produce delicious burgers in not much more time than it takes to make one from ground chuck. The only real trick is to avoid overcooking. Whether you sauté, broil or grill this burger, it's best when the center remains the color of … salmon. Two or three minutes a side usually does the trick.

Comments

• LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    What if I shaped the patty in such a way that it looks like a pair of Peeper Eyes? :)
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    This is beautiful!! Do you think we could have more recipes and/or illustrations?
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    This is beautiful!! Do you think we could have more recipes and/or illustrations?

I didn't think to take a picture of the burgers after we grilled them (they didn't last long, either, I admit). Credit for the recipe goes to my wife, who is always researching recipes online and in magazines, and using me as her lab rat (I eat pretty well, maybe too well). I'm not sure where she got this one, but it worked great. She toasted the hamburger buns on the grill for a few seconds, before assembling the sandwiches. It made the bread crispy on the burger side and kept the mayo/ketchup/etc from making the bread too mushy.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    This made me think about how people imagine things in a game would taste and how we could all think very different things.
    I know you were fitting things into spaces they might not quite fit, and you did a great job, but I have to ask a few things...
    scubamatt wrote: »
    Marblemelons, peeled and cut into chunks (Shallots are also a good choice)
    You think of them as oniony? To me they taste like honeydews.
    Bulboa Tree crumbs (regular old bread crumbs are fine, just use coarse ones)
    I can see this.
    Lantern Fruit, drained and rinsed (Capers can be used here for similar salty taste)
    Salty huh? They're sweet and very much like a mango to my mind.
    Creepvine Seed Pod oil (butter, olive oil, or non stick spray work as well)
    Also works well as sun lotion and won't cause your skin to burn off, I promise.

Your wife sounds like my girl friend.
    It's good to be a lab rat sometimes.

So what's next? Airsac Salad? :)
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    And to use a literary classic drink to go with it... A big ol' steaming mug of Nothin' Tea, as shown in The Martian!

Ya take a big steaming cup of hot water, and you add Nothin' to it. Nothin' Tea! :D
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I think the Hoverfish is the most tasty fish on the whole planet. Spiced and deep fry the legs, served in a bucket. The body is made into sticks and deep fried, too, together with Chinese Potato chips. Yummy finger food.

A bit more balanced but still solid: Grilled Boomerang wings with mashed Chinese Potato and Creepvine salad.

Or something more exotic: With mushroom acid pickled Reginald, served with boiled Koosh pods and sweet sour Bulbo scraps.

And for the sweet treat between dives: Candied Eyeeye.

More in the book "Xenoculinary Arts of the Ariadne Arm".
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited July 2016
    Wonderful! Added this to my Grand Codex, a book over 700 pages in length called, 'the Chronicle'; thanks for the recipe and the new page, man!

k4820782vyzc.jpg
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Someone should do cocktails.
    Someone should do cocktails.

How about Crashers? I'm sure an explosively hot drink could be made from them. :)
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    And to use a literary classic drink to go with it... A big ol' steaming mug of Nothin' Tea, as shown in The Martian!

Ya take a big steaming cup of hot water, and you add Nothin' to it. Nothin' Tea! :D

Douglas Adams, The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where they had No Tea...
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    This is so creative! in all honesty you post some of the best stuff on this forum.
    Now I'm curious. What culinary creation could we make with the Reaper Leviathan Boomerang Fish? :)