Why does the Cyclops make the sonar ping noise if there is no actual sonar?

TwevOWNEDTwevOWNED Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219546Members
One of the things that is bothering me while driving it is the noise it is making for no reason. I mean, it would be cool if every so often it did a pulse like the Seamoth (maybe even add a sonar on/off switch like the lights) but right now to have the sound without the effect is weird.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2016
    Hehe yeah, it kinda feels like sub styling right now.., Gottah have them bling bling sonar pings on your ride man -> novelty horn :smiley:
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Could be a problem when you take Cyclops over where the Crabsquids live too. They probably hate the sound and will home in on it...
  • Freeman79Freeman79 Sweden Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208093Members
    edited July 2016
    scubamatt wrote: »
    Could be a problem when you take Cyclops over where the Crabsquids live too. They probably hate the sound and will home in on it...

Thats when the on/off swtich come in handy :smile:
    But yeah I found that a little weird aswell, few days ago I manage to find my way to the lava castle in the Cyclops, thru the Grand Reef entrance, but it took me over 2 hours to find a way out, so a sonar simlair to the Seamoth (environmental grid scan) would get my vote for sure :smile:
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    I took it as a proximity sonar. So when you get to close to an object, it warns you... but until it does, the sonar is going off to check how close you are to things.
  • Freeman79Freeman79 Sweden Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208093Members
    edited July 2016
    CaptainRon wrote: »
    I took it as a proximity sonar. So when you get to close to an object, it warns you... but until it does, the sonar is going off to check how close you are to things.

Thats not what he meant, the sub is pinging like a normal sub, if you stand on the bridge part and look out thru the front window you hear it, its frequent and sounds nothing like the proximity alarm, dont use the steering wheel, just stand near it.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Freeman79 wrote: »
    CaptainRon wrote: »

Thats not what he meant, the sub is pinging like a normal sub, if you stand on the bridge part and look out thru the front window you hear it, its frequent and sounds nothing like the proximity alarm, dont use the steering wheel, just stand near it.

I believe he means that its just constantly checking proximity using the sonar, not necessarily sounding any alarms.
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    Its just ambient noise for the cyclops. However the "cyclops chipped" update should be adding a lot of new functionality to the cyclops.
  • waterlubberwaterlubber Near an ocean Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219589Members
    Aww man, Active + Passive sonar would be awesome.

Passive Sonar doesn't send out pings and instead recieves ambient noise, Active sends them out. Switching to Passive/Silent mode (lights off, etc) would be awesome
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Sonar will most likely have some kind of influence where the big fishies are concerned, they don't take kindly to noisy subs around here