Game Won't Launch

ty5123ty5123 USA Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219421Members
edited July 2016 in Technical Support
I was able to play the game before update 304 on steam. But trying to play the game now it simply won't launch. Now error message or anything pops up. Any Suggestions?

Edit: I downloaded the game the night before the 304 update was released, and played it for a couple hours. Then when I turned my computer back on the next morning i noticed there was an update, so i installed it. Now whenever i press play in steam the game won't run. It says "Running" next to the name in steam for a moment after pressing play, but after a few seconds "Running" disappears and nothing happens after that.

I am using windows 10 and the game ran perfectly fine with no issues the night i played it.

Comments

• KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    Welcome to the forum, @ty5123! Please see this post for tips on how to make a good tech support request. Don't forget to tell us your operating system and other system specs. In the mean time, it might be helpful to restart Steam, restart your computer, or check your anti-virus.
  • ty5123ty5123 USA Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219421Members
    Restarting steam and my computer yielded no results. And my antivirus showed no signs of interfering. I even turned my antivirus off and started the game but nothing appeared to change.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016
    Ok first try to validate your game files via steam as explained in the post Keats already linked.

If that doesn't help i kinda have bad news for you, looking at your tech_support.zip revealed that ns2 faults with this stack trace:
    P1: ns2.exe

P2: 0.0.0.0

P3: 57759cd2

P4: StackHash_c2c0

P5: 0.0.0.0

P6: 00000000

P7: PCH_B7_FROM_ntdll+0x0008E7A5

P8: c0000005

P9: 00000008

P10:

This indicates that some of your nt kernel files are corrupted (maybe due to a incomplete windows update or worst case malware at your pc)

To verify it's really a nt kernel corruption start your windows in safe mode:
    1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power > Restart.
    2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
    3. After your PC restarts, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
    4. Now start Steam and see if you can start NS2

More details about the safe mode can be found at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If you are able to start ns2 in safe mode then everything sounds like some kernel files are really corrupted.
    1. Press the Win key and X
    2. Click at Command Prompt as administrator.
    3. Run the following commands:
      1. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

- Windows will now start to search for corrupted files, this may take a while
      2. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

- Prints out found issues
      3. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

- Windows will try to resolve found issues
    4. Check if you can't start NS2
    5. In case you still can run NS2 run
      sfc /scannow

which will scan all your kernel files and will replace corrupted once.
    I finally got some time to try this out, and it did run in safe mode. How do i go about fixing it so that i can run it without safe mode?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016
    ty5123 wrote: »
    I finally got some time to try this out, and it did run in safe mode. How do i go about fixing it so that i can run it without safe mode?

Run step 1-4 of the "recovery steps" from my post above. That should fix the corrupted kernel files.
    When i scan for corrupted kernel files, it says there are no corrupted files. I still went through with the clean up, and there was no change.
    edited July 2016
    When i scan for corrupted kernel files, it says there are no corrupted files. I still went through with the clean up, and there was no change.

Did you also run step 5? If that doesn't help it may be some driver of yours is causing the issue. Did you update any driver before the issue occurred?
    You know what, i think i know the problem. Is this game dependent on .net framework at all? Because mine is a little screwy. All updates were deleted at one point and haven't been fully installed since. Never could figure out how to re-download it on windows 10. And i don't believe there was any change to my drivers in the time the issue popped up. The only thing that was different was the update to the actual game.
    edited July 2016
    On i side note, i did step 5 again and after finishing me it said that it found corrupt files but was unable to fix some. Also that details about the scan are recorded in a log. Would you like me to link that log? (I will be home for awhile now so i can respond relatively soon)

Edit: That game still would not launch after step 5
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    On i side note, i did step 5 again and after finishing me it said that it found corrupt files but was unable to fix some. Also that details about the scan are recorded in a log. Would you like me to link that log? (I will be home for awhile now so i can respond relatively soon)

Edit: That game still would not launch after step 5

Please link log, in regards to .netframework, remove and re-add.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-add-or-remove-unwanted-windows-features-programs-or-apps

Even thought windows 10 will most likely complain you have a newer version already, try https://ninite.com/ and grab 4.6.1 from there, very handy website when you need to grab multiple applications at once.