[Tool] Laser Cutter: Earilier Access and Upgrade Options

FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
With scanning becoming much more important and wrecks getting more things to scan, the Laser Cutter will be of use early in the game. Yet getting a Diamond to build it is out of reach at that point.

So I propose use rutile for the basic Laser Cutter instead of Diamond, replacing it with Titanium and Crash Powder (for the oxygen) in the recipe. The Fabricator would oxidize the Titanium and sort the titaniumoxide into the rutile crystal structure. As a downside, the rutile Laser Cutter will use up a full battery instead of a half.

Upgrades for the Laser Cutter would then be a ruby laser for less batter consumption and a diamond laser for increased cutting speed.

Comments

• ChJeesChJees Sverige Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219412Members
    edited July 2016
    Noticed this problem a lot to. By the time i got a diamond for a laser cutter i do not need the little stuff i find inside wrecks. Also wreck loot sucks in its current state :P.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    the diamonds are easy to get.
    just swim into the rising sun and head to the island, on the left side cliffs underwater are lots on resources and a few fragments.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Yes, Diamonds are easy to find when you know where to look. A new player, however, does not have that information. And even then, you'll have to swim a long way off to get them.
    Making Diamonds a requirement for a starter item does not seem right.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    just swim into the rising sun and head to the island, on the left side cliffs underwater are lots on resources and a few fragments.

This is logical from an experienced player POV, but not from a new player POV. Its also immersion breaking, in my opinion, to go anywhere but the three primary biomes without vehicle.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    edited July 2016
    the devs could put a signal to lead the NEW player to the diamonds. Like they did for the floater island.
    DrownedOut wrote: »

Its also immersion breaking, in my opinion, to go anywhere but the three primary biomes without vehicle.

I swim every where early on and just stay on the surface, where we swim fastest. how Is this immersion breaking? If we are on a water plant, swimming is what we do :p

It took me FOREVER to find out the old recipe for the bio-reactor needed the spores from the mushroom tree.

• ChudovishChudovish Ru Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219418Members
    Think cutter may have a lot of usage if we need some parts from Aurora... in future updates))

A lot of unique stuff may lay down in that scrap metal parts of ship. Maybe even people. Exciting story to explore. Imagine...

Unknown group inside part of hull. Deeeeeeep in ocean. Oxygen is low and getting lower. You try to help. You take care of some breaches and holes to stop oxygen to depleet, building pumps and pipes trying to give a few more time to people dying from suffocation. Produce ropes and winches to get this damn cage closer to surface. And finaly (when you find this diamond) cut the doors to release your crew members...
    Too complicate and sounds like womans novel but hey! Screenplay is right to developers, they can make it work and playable.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    You do know you don't need the laser cutter right? The propulsion cannon can remove doors and vent covers (not cuttable ones though). I don't know if this was intentional, but it would seem to be, at least with the vent covers.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Chudovish wrote: »
    Think cutter may have a lot of usage if we need some parts from Aurora... in future updates))

A lot of unique stuff may lay down in that scrap metal parts of ship. Maybe even people. Exciting story to explore. Imagine...

Unknown group inside part of hull. Deeeeeeep in ocean. Oxygen is low and getting lower. You try to help. You take care of some breaches and holes to stop oxygen to depleet, building pumps and pipes trying to give a few more time to people dying from suffocation. Produce ropes and winches to get this damn cage closer to surface. And finaly (when you find this diamond) cut the doors to release your crew members...
    Too complicate and sounds like womans novel but hey! Screenplay is right to developers, they can make it work and playable.

Im one of those that would also love to see another alive being on this planet. Heck, finding more survivors from the aurora would be so cool ..... alas, finding survivors inside the Aurora is impossible. Think about it for a minute ... not only did it crashed on the planet but it also exploded from a quantum deflagration afterwards. Theres like 0 chance anyone still in there survived that, sadly :disappointed:

Unless they were in one of those Lifepods how could they have survived? And all the Lifepods seem damaged like there was an explosion from inside, unless i missed one thats intact?
  • ChudovishChudovish Ru Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219418Members
    Yes, Aurora explodes. But we really sure that it not lose any part during emergency landing?* On loading screen we see deep cut on the board, on the landing zone we find a lot of parts that the planet rands from the ship by the rocks - dont tell me there cant be locked sections that have possibilities to maintain and reproduce atmosphere. Aurora is spaceship anyway. And it HAS radiation suits bcause it HAS reactors. If somebody on boar survived they surely try that things:
    1) Trying to protect from radiation (find suits)
    2) Trying to repair reacor (we know - no luck)
    3) Get away when hear "explosion immanent!!!!"
    Another lifepods can sink or be locked out, or damaged but hey! How many people was on the Aurora? Hundreds, thousands? Where are they? Some of them survived, its obvious from radio messages. Devs must decide what to do with them.
    I vote for NPC. Yes! I NEED SLAVES TO FIND RESOURCES FOR MY BASE!!!)))
    Seriously, people can do many things that supposed to do by "BRAND NEW!!1!" mechanisms that members ask devs to include in game.
    Who will give you the story? Notes and radiograms?) Nah.

*Aurora succesfully land on this planet. If it just fell there be nothing but the metal pancake in the bottom of giant crater. And someone pilot this thing to the last - 500 meter right or forward and it sink forever.