Major update suggestion: ALL OUT WAR!

warbrand2warbrand2 Join Date: 2010-12-13 Member: 75657Members
Ok, this may sound strange but I really think there needs to be a major content update. and I mean major.

So ridding off of this idea: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143103/content-update-idea-heavy-ordenance#latest I have a much more detailed concept

ALL OUT WAR
the war for survival has hit full force with the frontiersmen having pushed back the kharaa to what they belive is the beasts home plannet. The marines are readying for full on war, and the kharaa are doing the same.

MAP: planet side
info: designed for large team battle,s planet side is the most open map in NS2 history, with only a few interior spaces. the main feature of planet side is the fact that the teams must base in caves and outposts. As such it has unique power nodes and special features for both sides.

map lay out
the map has a grand total of 6 tech points, 2 of them marine dropped bases, 3 caves, and one unknown alien sand temple. the temple is the big part of the map as it has 4 res nodes meaning the team that controls it controls the map. And to make matters worse out side of the spawn bases most "rooms" do not have res nodes, so controlling the temple is the main objective, for both sides.

power nodes
nodes on this map take the form of "ARC" units that have a strange generator construct on top of them, they are wired to the areas an when the game starts ALL BUT the kharaa hive areas (the 3 caves) have active nodes, though it doesn't take much to destroy them.

FRONTIERSMEN

ARSENAL OF WAR

In prepping to wipe out a species they do not understand the frontiersmen have started to arm up with equipement they would never use in the past.

weapons

ballistic missile launcher
info: single load missile launcher capible of punching through the carapaces of most kharaa life forms. this heavy weapon takes up the primary weapon slot with its ammo taking up your grenade slot. it also take a grand total of 5 seconds to reload.
research: high explosives (unlocks this and the grenade launcher)
cost: 15 pres
ammo cost: 1-4 pres a round, max 5 rounds.
ammo types (note cost is per round, can have max 2 round types)
standard: costs one pres, and deals massive damage to a single target, takes 4 hits to kill an Onos.
Flame assault: costs 3 pres, when impacts a target does minimal damage to the target directly and splashes napalm in a large arc around the blast area, the fire will quickly damage the carapace of any aliens in range, warning can damage allies.
cluster: costs 4 press, the oposite of the flame assault where the flame does damage to armor this does damage to flesh, a team of 2 one with this the other with flame can easily wipe out a gorge wall defense or a large group of skulks.

SMG
info: a secondary weapon, that replaces the pistol. This weapon is a smaller cheaper "machine gun", the down side is the fact it lacks the machine guns mag size. the upside is that it makes a great secondary when using a weapon like the flamethrower or grenade launcher.

flamethrower/machine gun change
research required: sweeper weapons. (this is do to grenade launchers being changed to a new research called high explosives, which unlocks it and the missile launcher)

EXPERIMENTAL LAB ITEMS

shield generator
info: a cheap item at 10 pres, the shield generator adds a 20 health "shield to the user, this shield is represented by a glowing section on armor hud, that regenerates even with the armor is brought to zero.
note: can not be used with jetpacks or exo suits.
use: some times a welder isn't near by and you need some armor, while not meaning to replace weldiers in front line, this is meant to give them a break and help the survivability of all.

ROCKET PODS
info: exosuit upgrade, adds a dual minigun varrient that fires both miniguns at once and has a swarm missile launcher mounted to both shoulders. the missiles do not do much damage, but are great for blowing through armor and have the unique ability to knock skulks of walls and ground lerks.

These heavy weapons for the marines are not all that is getting into the fight, you are on the homeworld of an enemy and they are bringing everything they have.

KHARAA

Evolution is king

ok just going to repost here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143105/alien-lifeform-ideas for the start with idea from my last post in my old idea topic. well not old but I wanted to bring everything together.

LIFEFORMS
with their home comes new creatures to the fight, ranging from hybrid roles to new and horible creatures.

creeper (gorge alternative)
role: low level tank, defender.
info: a small craplike creature, has teh ability to hunker down in infestation and lob bile spikes at enemies. This alien lifeform moves quickly on infestation, but is really slow on standard terrain.

naming: the creeper is named for its habit of creeping around areas and picking off weakend marines. Though it does confuse marines how something so slow and clumsy has been known to sneak into bases and blow up taking spawn portals with it. (late game only)

WEAPONS

infestation cultivation: like gorge can build things.(can create and destroy)

bile spikes: a hybrid of lerk spikes, and gorge bile attacks, bile spikes are long range damage for the kharaa, they are also unique in teh fact tehy can head shot un armored marines dealing 75 damage to health. if armor is up though does only 10 damage to it, and is slow to fire.
note: think of this like a DMR of sorts.

deadshell (upgrade)
info: like skulks can become living suicide bombs, unlike skulks they do huge damage to exosuits and buildings. while they are slow off the infestation, getting hit with this ability is a death sentence, as it not only does major damage but throws shrapnel. (if you see a creeper of infestation, and moving for close range, it is a mine stay back)

"abilities"

hard shell: takes 40% less damage from bullets while carapace armor is still up, has a high carapace armor

infestation climber: if there is infestation it can move on it, this means the creeper can climb walls in infested areas.

BUILDINGS

fruit vine [temp name]
limit: 2
info: grows a vining plant that sprouts stocks similar ot mushrooms, the stocks grow a large orange fruit ontop that can be "Eaten" by kharaa life forms to heal health quickly and decisively, while it is much more effective then gorge heal,

umbra stock
info: the creepers main defensive building, umbra stocks spew small balls of the poisonus gas at enemies. While it isn't as effective a teh lerk umbra nor dense (doesn't last long), the ability to lower the marines weapon effectiveness means the creeper can easily pick off teh soldiers while they deal wit hthe stocks.
upgrade note: an umbra stock can be healed by a gorge into a level 2 and three state.
level 2 state: grows a second head faster fire rate
level 3 state: grows a large vent around it causes it to generate a constant spore cloud around it, acting as area denial.
damaging note: a level three one will lose its spore cloud if damaged by 1/3 health, and its faster fire rate if damaged by 2/3.

lerk nest
info: creates an outcropping which can be placed on walls, as name suggests this seems to be something specifically designed to help its flying brethren. As lerks that have landed in the nests have been shown to be harder to kill do to its natural armor and the fact that it can allow them greater vantage points to fire their spikes which seem to gain more range and damage when roosted in these armored nests.

note: I rarely play alien but when I do I play lerk, they are fun but some times a room doesn't have a great vantage point to range tap from a hallway that is where this building idea comes in, it would be just large enough to fit a single lerk. a well placed on of these could be the best defense the kharaa have against anything except a flamethrower sweep.

GLIDER (player would have to choose between this or a fade)
info: a medium sized flying kharaa lifeform, the glider, specializes in long range airborn attacks and prolonged flight. Unlike the lerk the glider can hover in place and has a rather limited ground movement.
visual cocnept refrerence (polled from google)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/dd/83/e9/dd83e9849a6498849e94dfb2563a00d2.jpg

game play: the glider, would attack by using smaller liforms which generate from under its wings, these life forms act similar to the projectiles from the brood lord in starcraft 2. with that the glider has 3 weapons.

WEAPONS

Screech: a low damage close range, sound based attack, disorients marines hit, and has a bonus when fighting jetpack users, as it will cause their packs to leak fuel. making flight harder.

gliderlings: generates spare gliderlings, gliderlings are the gliders main weapon, they act as mini missiles and home in on target to harass from the air, while they do not do much damage to marines, they are great against structures, and for clearing human mine fields.

pheromone pulse: orders gliderlings to attack an object or head to a location, unlike blader bait is not a physical item but a pheromone trail, note the smoke grenade that messes with kharaa armor also prevents ording gliderlings to attack in the area while it is effective.

ABILTIES and other.

hover: gliders do not need to land, and infact are almost imobile on the ground. as such tehy have the ability to hover in the air. which can make them a bigger threat then before as they can fly into obscure places and order down gliderlings to rip the area to shreds.

GLIDERLINGs
the living weapons of the glider, these are the young of the gliders and can act both as a living missile and a melee harasser, while they lack their parents sonic attack and ability to generate more, they have a biological defense that means tehy explode on death. meaning that killing them before tehy get close is a priority.
Countering: gliderlings do not explode if killed with fire, infact fire is teh best way to deal with the glider its self as it will cause their hover ability to be negated, aka light a glider on fire and they will drop like a rock.

Hovering egg: when evolving to a glider, the alien will be in a special egg that will start to hover as it gestates, when about ot hatch would be 3 feet of the ground, this is to prevent conflicts in movement do to low mobility on ground and hover ability.

ARACHNE (players would choose between this an Onos)
info: a large 8 legged horror the ARACHNE earns its name, this beast looks like some one took the twisted remains of a human and molded it into the kharaa infestation. infact that is sort of what happened. as such the arachne is smart, large and has the ability to use a few weapons of their own grown by the kaharaa.
role: support

Abilities

salvager: Arachne can pick up dropped marine weapons, and yes this is as bad as it sounds. while they can not reload them. Just be thankful of that, cause nothing is worse then an arachne on the roof with a grenade launcher.

wallclimber: like the skulk, arachne can climb walls, unlike the skulk it can not fit through vents.

sticky back: smaller aliens like gorges and skulks can ride on teh arachne's back, this is useful as it can get a gorge to locations you would otherwise not expect to see one.

"WEAPONS"

claws: a smiple melee attack doesn't do much damage, but melee is not the arachne's big bad weapon, no it is the fact that using claws on a dropped weapon allows the arachne to pick it up.

web net: throws a net at the target, if target is hit they will be immobilized and easier for allies to kill.

webbing: an arachne may crate webbing around it, said webing acts as a slow down to any none kharaa life forms the enter it, this webbing is different form gorge webs in the fact it can only be placed on flat surfaces.

thresher: skulk level creature, can be this or skulk can swap between at will.
info: a small lizard/snake like creature, similar to teh skulk only different. The thresher, is simple fodder like the skulk. The thresher is unique in teh fact it can quickly weave in and out of infestation and is almost like shooting at a fly when it is dodging around on the ground.
role: distraction, damage over time attacks.

Abilities

infestation walker: while in infestation, move 2x faster.

toxic: this thing seems to be the source of the toxens that the kharaa use, as such its death spews a small cloud of toxens, while alone it isn't enough to kill, the toxic cloud messes with vision and if the creature is mutated right, can cause armor to drain making these things death leathal to exosuits.

WEAPONS

1. poison bite
Info: no where near as damaging as a skulks bite, but teh poison bite does damage over time, the damage can only be stopped by medkits or armories. meaning a hit and run tactic will be more effective then just biting over and over again.

2. toxin disperse
info: disperse a small cloud of umbra and spores, doing minor damage and lowering weapon effectiveness. can only be done once per life, and doing so changes poison bite to just bite and removes your toxic death.

3. scamper
info: while acive you can not attack, and 50% of all projectiles, explosives, and melee attacks out right miss drains energy quickly but is great for destracting enemies so that they waste ammo allowing for skulks to come in for the kill.

stalker (gorge level lifeform
info: stalkers are small mouse like kharaa life forms, which may have come from some sort of well mouse on one of the stations. Though I personally know none of the lore behind the kharaa I know they evolve rapidly and I bet they would notice how humans ignore the small verman.
role: sabotage, infiltration, and scouting.

ABILITIES

small and invisible: the stalker is small like 6 inchs long, 3 tall, 3 wide. this means it is weak, as such even a none upgraded stalker is invisible walk "crouched" at all times.

internal damage: stalkers have an active ability that allows them to crawl inside of frontiersman tech and mess with it. what happens depends on the tech.
*armory: can either overload it killing yourself and causing it to need repairs, or actively savatage its systems causing it to randomly stop healing, giving ammo, and locking out weapons that are already unlocked.
*infantry portal: can leave infestation inside of it, this causes soldiers to spawn parasited and with 10 less armor.
*sentry battery: can leave infestation inside of it, this will cause the sentrys to fire at random targets, be they other sentries, players, the battery, or anything else. warning they can fire at you even if invisible.

wall climber: can climb walls.

"Weapons"
bite: deals almost no damage to soldiers, but if you nibble on a power node you can fry it, killing yourself and damaging teh power in the room for 30 seconds. Room with fried nodes, have armories and portals disabled, infantry portals regenration time increased by 20%, and res gain reducsed by alot.

IN CLOSING

I would post more, but well I am a marine main, I could give a large list of things I think frontiersmen should have, but I know most of it is pointless, my problem is evening out marine and kharaa ideas in this concept.

All I know about the kharaa is their is two effective ways a team can play (that I have seen), all out tank, or stealth.

also sorry about bad grammer and spelling suck at it when awake and it is 11 PM here so not awake.

IDEAS NOT BY ME!

Some ideas :)

Alien - Mollusc

i like the idea of the Mollusc for the alien team, its an organism that can be built by the khaam onto a powernode, it feeds off the powernode and prevents a destroyed powernode from being rebuilt until it is killed. It possibily has a ranged attack but its main focus is to slow the marines down. Must be researched at a hive or possibly part of the crag hive. Vulnerable to flamer damage.

Marine - Power converter

A very large structure that attaches to a suitable power node and drains all the power from the room preventing any other structures from gaining power from it. The power converter converts power into res for the commander at a slow steady rate. Not as efficient as an rt but Still useful depending on the room its constructed in.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is such a big project it would have to be ns3.