Any idea what the maximum depth is?

scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
Looking at the X/Y coordinates, it appears that 2000 +/- is the maximum range for the height and width of the map. Does anyone known what the maximum depth is (the Z coordinate)? At what point do you 'hit bottom' of the playable area?

I ask because I'm currently drilling a vertical shaft towards the planet core, and I'm a few hundred meters deep so far...

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I've reached at least 1,200 metres when exploring the inactive lava zone before. I imagine that the Sea Emperor's prison will be even further down.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    The absolute deepest you can go (By going downward off the edge of the map) is 10000m
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Funsauce32 wrote: »
    The absolute deepest you can go (By going downward off the edge of the map) is 10000m

Wow! So we're in a sandbox thats 2km on a side and 10km deep! Lots of room for me to keep digging then.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Threads like these make me cringe, that black darkness and ominous sounds from the deep. That shit sends shivers down my spine.

I've said it once and I will say it again, I will never leave the shallows if I see a huge spaceship devouring whirlpool!
  • WaviestBow6WaviestBow6 Join Date: 2016-06-05 Member: 218131Members
    What Happens when you go pay 10000 meters?
    Does it act like a solid floor?
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Threads like these make me cringe, that black darkness and ominous sounds from the deep. That **** sends shivers down my spine.

Well, I started my mine shaft next to my hidden base, which is inside a thermal vent. There's absolutely no flora and fauna in here, other than what I have transplanted or released myself. I'm using grow beds with creepvine pod plants and purple brain coral at intervals, to provide natural lighting and air replenishment as you ascend or descend the shaft. My only real worry is that I'll punch through into the roof of a cavern system (like Jellyshroom) and then have to deal with a sudden influx of Bad Things. I've set myself off to one side, using my beacon from the Jellyshroom Outpost as a guide, so I think I'm going to be able to go right past it without breaking through.

One of the odd things about the game I've noticed is that it gets brighter/darker in my mine shaft, in the same cycle as the day/night cycle on the surface, even though I'm 200m+ straight down in bedrock with no possible line of sight to the surface.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    That's a cool project in any case, brigning life to the lifeless areas!

Also I'd report that day/night transition in the depth of doom as a bug if I were you. Seems like an oversight
    edited June 2016
    I'm well into the Jellyshroom biome now (I realized I can check this with the F1 key), but I haven't broken through into any caverns. I built a way station base into one wall at 225m depth, installing a bioreactor and planters, so I'd have a place to refill my air and food/water without having to travel all the way back to my primary base at 25m depth. Air consumption is higher now, in the mine shaft, because of the depth. I do notice that the background coloring changes by biome, no matter what the actual light source is. For example, when I get ready to leave my way station, the wall of the hatch where I am about to exit, has a purple color (like in the Abandoned Jellyshroom Base). The exterior of my way station has a faint pink and purple glow to it, as if it were illuminated by the Jellyshrooms, although there are none in my mine shaft.
    edited June 2016
    Looking down the mine shaft from the top of the shaft, where the hidden base is inside the thermal vent.
    6yWjneX.jpg

and looking up from the way station spot, at the 225m depth point
    Qe3ptcu.jpg

The green and yellow glows you see are grow beds placed in niches in the shaft wall, with 4x Purple Brain Coral and 2x Creepvine Pod Plant in each one. They act as lights and emergency air supply.
  • AntoninAntonin Montréal Join Date: 2016-05-08 Member: 216529Members
    I went in creative to 2000m deep and there seems to be absolutely nothing.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    It's not a recent video, but still I don't think there's a limit right now... except maybe the game engine finally giving up:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cAY-UlsmYac&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Thats 272 miles deep...
    Once you dig too long the terraformer just glitches out and you cant dig anymore
    edited June 2016
    I'm not using a Terraformer, though. I'm using the Habitat Tool.
  • GoretogGoretog UK Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216082Members
    I have been off the edge of the map upto 16000m+ I used the exosuit to drop, and after that just floated down till i drowned ^^, Active Lava Zone is 1500+ down and that's the "deepest" play area.
  • TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    It's not a recent video, but still I don't think there's a limit right now... except maybe the game engine finally giving up:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cAY-UlsmYac&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Btw you can hold down a move key like w and then open the console and you will stay moving
  • DefectivePotatOSDefectivePotatOS Utah Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216964Members
    Dang....The dude that made that vid should have written "speed 10" in the console. Everything would have been 10x faster, and by the time he got back he would have been 10x deeper than what he had achieved...
    Dang....The dude that made that vid should have written "speed 10" in the console. Everything would have been 10x faster, and by the time he got back he would have been 10x deeper than what he had achieved...

I'm sure at that point, Cthulhu Would Stop him

Or clang

(anyone get the space engineers reference)
    (Or is this the wrong place to put it.)
    edited June 2016
    It would be just awesome to have a underwater city with the Cthulhu inside!!!! This would be the deepest area in the game. roaskokvx4lw.jpeg
    Antonin wrote: »
    It would be just awesome to have a underwater city with the Cthulhu inside!!!! This would be the deepest area in the game. roaskokvx4lw.jpeg

God dammit! no one understands that cthulu is a god! A FREAKING GOD! He is not just some video game boss that you can simply kill! He lives in an underwater city, yes but not on this planet he ain't! Get ur stuff together.
    Also this has nothing to do with the thread.
    Antonin wrote: »

God dammit! no one understands that cthulu is a god! A FREAKING GOD! He is not just some video game boss that you can simply kill! He lives in an underwater city, yes but not on this planet he ain't! Get ur stuff together.

I know who is Chtulhu and I am a big fan of Lovecraft. The Chtulhu can be on this planet, its no the earth! I also find the Sea Dragon the "Dagon" of this world.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    If you use the Teraformer you'll break through the bottom of the world and just keep going down forever.
    I went down over 10k and still could go further. I would post pics but I don't remember where the screenshots use to be stored.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members

But the videos show us that you can indeed go way below 10000m.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Watch the depth on this vid.