Crabsquid can kill docked Seamoth.

DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
So here I am building my base at nearly 500m depth in the Grand Reef, partially in hopes of having an observatory for crabsquids. Didn't seem like any was in the area, though, but then one came up to me while I was gathering uraninite. I scream and race back to get me and my Seamoth to safety in the nearby moon pool and walk away happy with my sought-for neighbor, until I hear a screech from the moon pool and turn around to see it is still attacking my sub. Not every hit lands - there seems to be some angling at play, but by the time it decides my Seamoth is not as tasty as it made itself believe and I dare to get near the moon pool (not going to check if it can grab me too) my sub is down to 34%.

Don't get me wrong, I sort of liked the scenario. I don't get the impression this is a common possibility for predators; I've got no prior experience or can find info of others seeing their Seamoth killed while docked. It fits the crabsquid, but that means I would need something to protect or chase away. I'd have hated to be stuck at 500m depth without Seamoth.

Comments

• scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I'd have hated to be stuck at 500m depth without Seamoth.

This is why I always have an escape kit in the locker. I've wondered whether or not a pursuing predator could attack me if I enter the Moon Pool and climb up into the room. I had almost convinced myself its safe in there, until your post...
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Wouldn't it be cool to have a Boneshark waiting beneath your moonpool to ambush you when you take a dip? That'd be an awesome feature :smiley:
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited June 2016
    It's not even just pursuing. My dear neighbor just every so often breaks into my garage to beat up my car. The only perk is that they screech every time they land a hit and I can hear it in every corner of my compact base, so with about 13% damage per hit I can keep track of how close to dying my car is.

I made pictures in case I'll ever decide to go to court over this. Fortunately, my neighbor has no objections to my camera drones. [EDIT: Right, the forum is refusing to upload my screenshots. Might add them in later if it works then.]
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    You gotta build a wall and make the Crabsquid pay for it :P
    HYBRID1313 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be cool to have a Boneshark waiting beneath your moonpool to ambush you when you take a dip? That'd be an awesome feature :smiley:

I have this already, from Gasopods, Crash, and Stalkers right next to the Life Pod starting location :(
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Got around the picture matter by posting them in another topic where I do get the option. Odd, but solved.

Again, I'd love this as an actual feature if I can get some protective means too. Can you imagine it rising from the water enough to look at you?

I suppose that once the EMP blast gets implemented its behavior might change. If it'd be more prone to go after the Seamoth with a ranged attack, it would probably deplete itself soon and retreat without causing too much damage. I'm vaguely curious if a moonpool would respond to a shut-off Seamoth.

Based on the fact fauna can follow you into the moonpool, I'm going to guess that the ranged attack of lava lizards might prove a problem too with base building (assuming they aren't exclusively in areas base building is impossible in for temperature reasons to begin with).
    I know that Gasopods can hurt your base, so an EMP nearby would be a Bad Thing.