Rookies not showing up in tab

DaretDaret canada Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218386Members
as the title says. for the past month I've been unable to see rookies in tab. i see the (rookie) when they chat but i can't see rookie or green highlight on the tab menu.

I tried googling and searching this forum for help but didn't find anything relevant. It's annoying not knowing who's a rookie.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There was a change so that rookies appear as white on the scoreboard.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Yeah this was one of their more "wtf?!?" changes. I get that they're trying to minimize the elitism that occurs, but it's kind of like burning down the house to get rid of the termites...

Plus it doesn't really stop elitism to begin with.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't know about other players but whenever i use to see a server with more than half greens i would just leave or else just destroy them. It's boring + just pisses everyone off, now i can't know at all until they talk, genius!
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Yeah we need an easy to see rookie indicator, if only to be able to evenly distribute them.
  • NexZone30NexZone30 Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185719Members
    I've noticed it too and it definitely makes it extremely hard to balance teams. Please make it so we have some real indication of rookies. :/
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    Quit shaming rookies and they might bring it back.
    I have a better idea: give a badge out to players that hit level 6. Don't put a mark of shame on somebody for sucking, instead give rewards for doing well.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited June 2016
    Sgt_Sass wrote: »

It doesn't really stop the shaming of rookies either.. The a**hole elitist rejects that do that just look up profiles to find the rookies... Their rookie hate is strong..

Plus they will hate on even veterans who aren't on their level... You can't run into a room as a a1/w1 marine and kill 5 skulks alone? Well they can so you're a noob...

On the other hand looking through everyone's profile before a game to try to keep the greens from all stacking the same team is a huge pain..

• NexZone30NexZone30 Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185719Members
    edited June 2016
    Here's my philosophy when it comes to rookies. If you can listen, learn, and are actively trying to get better at the game, then you can stay. If you can't and blatantly make the game worse for those you are playing with, you can leave.

In essence, there are good rookies and there are bad rookies.
    On the other hand looking through everyone's profile before a game to try to keep the greens from all stacking the same team is a huge pain..

Nobody is trying to completely stop people from being asshats, it's impossible without a ridiculous level of censorship. But creating a system that makes it convenient to shame somebody is something we should avoid. It's like sticking a yellow star on somebody - you're practically inviting the trolls to dinner.
    edited June 2016
    How is being marked as a rookie a badge of shame? We need to know who the new players are so they can be distributed evenly, and given appropriate guidance. Until you have a few hundred hours of experience in this game, you are definitely rubbish. I speak from my own personal experience.

There is a distribution of skill in this game, as in any aspect of life, and it is worth facing up to that fact instead of giving everyone trophies for participation, which only dumbs things down and doesn't help anyone (aside from making people feel good about themselves for no reason).
    edited June 2016

It doesn't really stop the shaming of rookies either.. The a**hole elitist rejects that do that just look up profiles to find the rookies... Their rookie hate is strong..

Plus they will hate on even veterans who aren't on their level... You can't run into a room as a a1/w1 marine and kill 5 skulks alone? Well they can so you're a noob...

Technically, a well positioned 1/1 marine should be able to take out 5 skulks with support of 1 or 2 medpacks, at least in the early game. If you can't it doesn't mean you're a noob. But if you can, it means you are decent. :D
  • AliteAlite Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60188Members, Reinforced - Shadow

This guys clearly knows what he's talking about
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited June 2016
    That's not good we need to know who are the rookies on the team, so that we can expect them to do retarded stuff, else we have to expect everyone to be a rookie basically.

Plus we can't see when a team is "rookie-stacked"
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Nobody is trying to completely stop people from being asshats, it's impossible without a ridiculous level of censorship..

Erhuyip, bheru oj keuttgy, whahann opi kuuurdig !

That's not good we need to know who are the rookies on the team, so that we can expect them to do retarded stuff

So we know they need some hints about what to do ;)

• RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    I mean, be less severe for their mistakes. x)
    This thread is a pretty good example of what I've been talking about, and why they likely won't bring it back.
    edited June 2016
    There is a distribution of skill in this game, as in any aspect of life, and it is worth facing up to that fact instead of giving everyone trophies for participation, which only dumbs things down and doesn't help anyone (aside from making people feel good about themselves for no reason).

It's a video game. The entire point of playing it is to feel good about yourself for no reason. I don't understand this need to put newer players down.

"Until you have a few hundred hours of experience in this game, you are definitely rubbish."

"we need to know who are the rookies on the team, so that we can expect them to do retarded stuff,"

"This guys clearly knows what he's talking about"

Being a noob has always been, and always will be an insult as long as the internet exists. It shouldn't be, but it is, and while branding newer players as new is a well-intentioned idea it ends up bringing more harm to a playerbase that you are already struggling to retain.

Edit: Skip to 3:13.

This video is taking the same idea and applying it to XP systems, but the benefits of positive framing vs negative framing (rewarding vs punishing) echo into every aspect of game design. Again, this has nothing to do with being 'politically correct' but taking a mechanic that is inherently negative "You are a noob" and reframing it to be positive "these guys aren't noobs". Instead of singling out the new guy with neon-green text, you make the average players look better with a neat badge. Now the noobies have something to work towards and they aren't getting shit for being the new guy.

T-t-t-triple edit: In other words change the situation from "Why am I green?" "Because you're a noob" to something more like "Where did you guys get that badge?" "Level 6"
    edited June 2016
    Trophies for participation only dumbs everyone down.

Now being called a noob is some kind of mega insult? Stop taking yourself so seriously.

Enough with the discredited social engineering and the politically correct nonsense. Keep it on twitter. Keep it out of games.
    edited June 2016
    Trophies for participation actually have been proven to increase engagement across numerous demographics. Stop trying to bring your politics into proven player psychology. Companies across the world use these techniques to broaden their products appeal, and for a damn good reason. Leveraging psychology = $$$

Or keep up the internet tough guy front. It's all the same to me.

Edit: Noob is not a 'mega insult' as you put it. Perhaps my yellow star reference made me seem too invested in the issue, I don't think new players are a persecuted religious minority. A dunce hat example is probably more apt. Do they even use dunce caps anymore? Is anybody going to get that reference? God I'm old ...
    I agree that there needs to be an immediate way to visually tell a sub-level 6 player from everybody else. I think this could be achieved without neon-greening the newer players.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If I was a rookie I wouldn't want to be branded, "I know I'm shit but I don't need everyone else to know that".
    Use two colors, green then blue so they actually see it's progressing.