New Alien Models

DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited June 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Is there any chance that in the future we may see actual model replacements/options for some of the alien models (more than just new skins)? I am thinking of alien models that actually look quite different than the kharaa style aliens. This could be another opportunity for a micro-transaction purchase.

Back in the day, I played around with custom models in NS1 and it was fun having a change of scenery by swapping out the alien models with custom alien models to play with.

If not, does any have any experience with NS2 and importing alternate models into the game? Is this acceptable by UWE/server admins?

Comments

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    For a consistent gameplay, if you introduce different models you have to have different hitboxes too.

You can change models, but it has to be a mod. Otherwise, servers will simply deny connection if your crucial game files differ.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    .trixX. wrote: »
    For a consistent gameplay, if you introduce different models you have to have different hitboxes too.

You can change models, but it has to be a mod. Otherwise, servers will simply deny connection if your crucial game files differ.

When we did custom models in NS1, we left the hitboxes the same as the core game.

I guess if it has to be a mod, the server would have to run that mod as well. Therefore, it's not worth doing.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I don't think it would be cost-effective. Designing new models requires time and the PDT is already limited by this 'time' that I doubt they can afford spending it making new models.

Technically, we've seen the Shadow Fade model already.

Doing it through mods would be excellent but yes, they'd have to be installed on those said servers.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is a memory cost for it also. NS2 is already straddling the limits of having a 32bit exe. It would be an extensive months long job just to get ns2 onto a 64bit exe let alone have it work well.
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    The question is whether or not it's worth bringing balance/UI work to a slow trickle for 3+ months to refactor for 64. How long will it take to develop new content for 64? Another couple of months at least. You're looking at a near-dead game for half a year in exchange for more content down the road. Is the game even going to be alive after those many months of refactoring? Would that time have been better spent working on player retention, or finding ways to attract new customer bases?

I dont have any insight to these questions but I'm sure it's a more complex issue than "UWE is lazy so screw them".
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I appreciate everyone's feedback and yeah, it sounds like this may be a better idea saved for something like NS3 as the tech requirements in NS2 are not ready in the current state of the game, unfortunately. :(

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2016
    Daphisto wrote: »

When we did custom models in NS1, we left the hitboxes the same as the core game.

I guess if it has to be a mod, the server would have to run that mod as well. Therefore, it's not worth doing.

Did you ever Hovar buddy :angry:

scorpion.gif
    Kouji_San wrote: »

scorpion.gif

Wat
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2016

scorpion.gif

Wat

Hey now, you talk the talk, but it is clear now you don't walk the walk :tongue:

Let me take you back to the terrifying times of Smartbomb's Hovaring Scorpian model! Ya might remember the phrase: "It Hovars Without Flapping"

scorpion.gif

Wat

Hey now, you talk the talk, but it is clear now you don't walk the walk :tongue:

Let me take you back to the terrifying times of Smartbomb's Hovaring Scorpian model! Ya might remember the phrase: "It Hovars Without Flapping"

Sounds great but I don't recall. :) I mainly worked on converting P models and V models over from AVP. It was over a decade ago and haven't done any modeling stuff like that since, instead I choose to go down a game design path. I used Milk shape back then and the half-life model viewer. I had a total blast when I was working on it, I remember, and was recently considering getting into customization stuff for NS2 but this time around, I would probably just end up paying someone to design and create the models for me as I unfortunately don't have the time to dedicate to it myself. :(