Seasonal evolution of players in NS2

BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
edited June 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
Hi there,

For some time I have wanted to take a look at the monthly evolution of NS2 players in a graph. The intention was to see in perspective the pattern of decreasing player numbers over spring and the gain of them over autumn.

I reduced the comparison to the last 3 years in order to reduce the noise of player fluctuations due to other factors (novelty of the game, big steam sales, big updates, etc). Also, take into consideration that values of January 2014 have been truncated to ease the readability of the graph (values of that month are written at the bottom of the figure)

I just was interested in seeing this and since I did it I thought that I could share it with you.

99VAxGT.jpg
X4jXUhS.jpg

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Blrg what are your thoughts on 2016 being marginally higher than 2015 for the last 3 months?
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Nice work.

If only there was a way to quantify the volume of new players/month (I don't dare to think players ID are available, otherwise, one could tell everything, new players retention, players cycle of life ...).
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Wake wrote: »
    Nice work.

If only there was a way to quantify the volume of new players/month (I don't dare to think players ID are available, otherwise, one could tell everything, new players retention, players cycle of life ...).

Yes, we have this info.
    @remi <place your favorite god name providing your religion allows to write it here> !!!! Is it available somewhere ?
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    remi wrote: »
    Nice work.

Yes, we have this info.

Can you say something about it? Give us some feedback about the situation of the game.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2016
    @remi <place your favorite god name providing your religion allows to write it here> !!!! Is it available somewhere ?
    Nordic has some of the data, but no. Not really available. If you message me on Discord we could chat more though.

Rammler wrote: »
    Can you say something about it? Give us some feedback about the situation of the game.
    Sure. We get about 75-175 new players a day. During the recent sale, we had 460-600 new players a day. During past sales we had huge spikes in new players as well. The way we've been measuring retention is pretty coarse... but the definition goes -- did they launch the game again within a one week period on a different day from their first launch. That has been at about 50%. I'm actually going to be looking into this data more over the coming days and seeing what else I can glean from it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have posted a lot of my stats in the past to here. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/136931/basic-statistics-of-the-hive-skill-system

Besides Remi, I also have some of the UWE data and a bunch of hive data. If you have any questions you think I could answer with this data we could discuss it. I have been very busy lately, so be patient.
    edited June 2016
    @Nordic If I get it right, your work is oriented on skill/balance issues.

If someone cand send me an exerpt of raw datas, I would like to try to work on player lifcycle.
    For that, one need ID's and timestamps.

Athough I'm more used to relationnal Data Bases and SQL, I can also quite get some snip out of Excel.
    @remi sorry, I didn't saw your answer. I'm not on dicord though, any other way ? PM ? telegraph ? smoke signs ?
    edited June 2016
    My work is not oriented on anything specific. I just have a lot of data, and I try to answer the questions that I think can be answered by the data. I had a lot of hive data, which was limited to basically skill analysis. The new UWE data I had was limited where the most interesting thing about it was the balance numbers. I don't mind if you ask Remi questions instead of me. He does have all the data, and I will likely help him with it anyways.
    @Nordic Well it seems that I got so amazed it might be possible to apprehend NS's players activity I put my foot in my mouth (I hope this translation is correct ...).
    No way I intended to disregard what you got out of the datas and the work it takes to rfine them before they can be of any use.
    <span style="color:orange">PM</span> sent <= Actually not <span style="color:orange">that kind</span> of PM :)
  • unrenderedunrendered Finland Join Date: 2013-11-07 Member: 189137Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter