We're going to be getting our resources' worth out of the Battery Charger...

CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
Trello Card.

No more 'freebie' Scanning, Building, and Terraforming. This'll make things a bit more difficult, as you'll have to carefully prioritize what you build and scan... and be careful not to make mistakes when you Terraform. Strange that they'd include the Terraformer in here, as this is going to be removed as part of stopping terrain pop-in...

... Hey? I wonder if you could install a Power Cell Charger in the Cyclops' Engine Room, and carefully 'trickle-charge' its power Cells. Yes it'd use power, but if you then put a recharged power cell back in, you'd 'regain' some power. Possible exploit?

Comments

• Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    But the chargers are so sloooooow! It takes a fairly long time even with 'speed 10'!
  • OculusOculus ger Join Date: 2016-01-30 Member: 212360Members
    The charging speed is fine since you can just craft a few extra batteries/cells to keep the chargers loaded with them.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Keep a couple of charged batteries in your Inventory and a couple on the Charger, then switch them out.
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    Which is exactly what I do in RL.
  • kyrtmalthornkyrtmalthorn Safe Shallows Join Date: 2016-06-03 Member: 218013Members
    edited June 2016
    Batteries: been swapping my used ones to the flashlight and swimming around with them wearing swim charge fins.

Power cells: a moon pool will instantly recharge any power cell stuck in a docked seamoth's slot (provided it has enough power). Why do we even have a power cell charger at this point? ;) maybe the moon pool needs to take time to charge too.

I haven't even found any charger fragments and I can already recharge anything. Granted with swim charge fins, it takes a while. But at least the seaglide doesn't just nom copper now.
  • ColdSpyderColdSpyder AZ Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217767Members
    Considering this update changed how power cells and batteries worked, allowing you to retain used/drained units (Which you can now use to the effect kyrt just described), I think the update is fine. Before you couldn't pull drained batteries or cells so there was no method to recharging swathes of units.
    Even so, the battery and power cell charging stations are much more efficient than the aforementioned methods. Plus, you can throw a power cell charging station inside the cyclops itself (like shown in the trailer) and the amount of power you get back is more than it takes to charge them ??? infinite power.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    ColdSpyder wrote: »
    Plus, you can throw a power cell charging station inside the cyclops itself (like shown in the trailer) and the amount of power you get back is more than it takes to charge them ??? infinite power.

That doesn't sound right. :*
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Plus, you can throw a power cell charging station inside the cyclops itself (like shown in the trailer) and the amount of power you get back is more than it takes to charge them ??? infinite power.

I tested it and it's true. For every 1 power the charger drains from the cyclops, it's putting about 3 into the cells in the charger. It may be a slow process, but it definitely works.
  • ErgossErgoss KY Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213722Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    I tested it and it's true. For every 1 power the charger drains from the cyclops, it's putting about 3 into the cells in the charger. It may be a slow process, but it definitely works.

I was intending to test it myself. Is this related to the power efficiency module or independent thereof? If it only works this way with the power efficiency module, I'd think it might be easy to only apply the efficiency to drive functions and leave direct power drains to draw directly from the cells.
  • OculusOculus ger Join Date: 2016-01-30 Member: 212360Members
    Unknown Worlds invented a perpetuum mobile :smiley:
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Avimimus wrote: »

Ah, that is a problem. The charger needs to be more thirsty if we want physics to be sustained!
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    Yeah, that violates some law, doesn't it? Law of conservation of energy? Law of Thermodynamics? What's the one that says every conversion of energy is a loss-equation because you lose some energy to heat? You shouldn't even get a 1-to-1 siphon of power from one cell to another.

Isn't current, Earth-bound charging technology somewhere well below 50% efficiency? Depending on the in-universe efficiency of the charging systems, I could believe maybe somewhere up to 75% efficiency.

I have no doubt they will "fix" a perpetual power bug.
    They totally need to have Cyclops-installable versions of the new indoor nuclear and bio reactors.

.....How late to the party am I on that idea? :blush:
  • TheJewelOfJoolTheJewelOfJool Southwestern Ontario Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211261Members
    MrRoarke wrote: »
    Yeah, that violates some law, doesn't it? Law of conservation of energy? Law of Thermodynamics? What's the one that says every conversion of energy is a loss-equation because you lose some energy to heat? You shouldn't even get a 1-to-1 siphon of power from one cell to another.

Isn't current, Earth-bound charging technology somewhere well below 50% efficiency? Depending on the in-universe efficiency of the charging systems, I could believe maybe somewhere up to 75% efficiency.

That would make charging batteries and power cells annoying if you lost a large amout of power to charge them.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Batteries: been swapping my used ones to the flashlight and swimming around with them wearing swim charge fins.

Power cells: a moon pool will instantly recharge any power cell stuck in a docked seamoth's slot (provided it has enough power). Why do we even have a power cell charger at this point? ;) maybe the moon pool needs to take time to charge too.

I haven't even found any charger fragments and I can already recharge anything. Granted with swim charge fins, it takes a while. But at least the seaglide doesn't just nom copper now.

I used a similar method. Install a solar charger on the seamoth then swap out the drained cyclops cells to fill them that way.
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members

The First Law of Thermodynamics: The Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy.

That said, conversion of energy is NEVER a loss equation. That would violate that law :). It's just almost impossible to get 100% conversion to the form you want it in. You end up converting some to things like heat.
    cdaragorn wrote: »

The First Law of Thermodynamics: The Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy.

That said, conversion of energy is NEVER a loss equation. That would violate that law :). It's just almost impossible to get 100% conversion to the form you want it in. You end up converting some to things like heat.

Yep, that's what I was going for.
  • kyrtmalthornkyrtmalthorn Safe Shallows Join Date: 2016-06-03 Member: 218013Members

That would make charging batteries and power cells annoying if you lost a large amout of power to charge them.

Probably they will, and I believe it should be fixed. But until then, I can afford to be picky, build a cyclops before building a base, and take my sweet time finding a nifty place to build. :D
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Ergoss wrote: »

I was intending to test it myself. Is this related to the power efficiency module or independent thereof? If it only works this way with the power efficiency module, I'd think it might be easy to only apply the efficiency to drive functions and leave direct power drains to draw directly from the cells.

Actually, if you install the power efficiency module, it says "Power efficiency now 400%" on screen. When you then remove it, it says "Power efficiency 300%", so the 3:1 rate of exchange makes complete sense as far as the game is concerned, and it's probably 4:1 if you have the module in.
    That's a good catch. I've seen that message and didn't until now realize what it actually meant.

So it's confirmed in-game that the first law of thermodynamics is more like a guideline.
    Right. Laws of Physics are like the Pirate's Code. Perhaps you should ask that reaper leviathan for the right of parley?
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Hi.

Concerning Thermodynamic laws is nice but kinda irrelevant when you talk about a game where interstellar travel is possible. I mean not too long ago people thought the Earth was a disc. Now we know it is not. Maybe our current view of the laws of physics will be "partly" obsolete in a time where people can fly to other planets. I think you have to allow that argument in a video game that plays on an alien planet. ;) That beeing said I do think that it should not be possible to charge cells with other cells and actually get away with it. Not that I would mind to have a not so limited supply of power on a submarine the size of the Cyclops.

What I do like to see is what MrRoarke said. Versions of the current base generators for the Cyclops. Like a Solar charge module or Bio- /Nuclear- reactors or even a Thermal reactor if you plan to take your Cyclops to the corresponding depths/biomes that have the needed temperatures. Or a combination of more then one power generator. Like Solarcells for shallow depths and Thermal reactors for higher depths with more heat?
    Or what about a reactor that can generate power out of water pressure? Like the "Unobtanium" metal from the movie "The Core" which could generate power out of heat and pressure? That would be a cool thing for exploring the deeper parts of the map. Just go deeper then 200 - 300m and your cells start to recharge or something like that.
  • thanatos73thanatos73 US Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216180Members
    Wee, you could build an outpost on the Floating Island, with a bunch of Solar Panels, and a MPR full of nothing but chargers.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    The only thing I use that consumes Power Cells is the Cyclops. The Seamoth has one, but it recharges fully in daylight, via the Solar Recharger upgrade. For a Jellyshroom Base, the PC recharger is handy (since the Seamoth can't use sunlight to recharge), but otherwise having one is more of a 'completionist' thing for me.
  • NikonthenetNikonthenet UK Join Date: 2016-05-12 Member: 216680Members
    thanatos73 wrote: »
    Wee, you could build an outpost on the Floating Island, with a bunch of Solar Panels, and a MPR full of nothing but chargers.

Just next to the floating island is a thermal vent, I popped a thermal reactor there and it does very well! The bone sharks make building somewhat hazardous tho :)
    thanatos73 wrote: »

Just next to the floating island is a thermal vent, I popped a thermal reactor there and it does very well! The bone sharks make building somewhat hazardous tho :)

He's talking about the island that's on the surface, not the underwater ones. No bone sharks there.
  • ifferiffer Join Date: 2005-03-12 Member: 45041Members, Constellation
    That's a good catch. I've seen that message and didn't until now realize what it actually meant.

So it's confirmed in-game that the first law of thermodynamics is more like a guideline.

Well, there is that huge spinning generator thing in the power room so maybe the powercells are just the priming force for a much larger source of energy (Microwarp? Dark matter? Laser induced fusion, whatever). So in that case a power multiplier effect is very reasonable. And it makes the Cyclops a very practical roving base (couple spare cells in a charger, an indoor garden and you're good to go!)
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    I make 7-8 batteries and keep 4 in my battery charger. then when i go on an adventure i can get 3 refills before i have to go back home. then i can swap out the batteries and head back! its a great system.
  • Chris01Chris01 95050 Join Date: 2015-11-19 Member: 209347Members
    Well I've never studied law so I won't worry about it... ;)