Optional Story ideas discussion. SPOILERS?!¿

TravistyJCTravistyJC California Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217267Members
I personally would love the idea of an optional time based storry. After some exploring and enough in game time it's easy to see a story being formulated that a person could easily ignore and just focus on surviving or investigate further. So from the wiki we know the Aurora was sent with a crew of 100 to this planet to set up communications and warp technology (for possible future colonization?).
We know that the systems and programs the Aurora was operating on werent up to standards. (From this we can gather the player is sort of like Issac from DeadSpace out of his depth a simple mechanic pretty much). We know several lifepods deployed and a few had potential survivors we get a Com message from one of these. We know the planet had scientists on it before. We even get a com. from the Aurora saying to go south 750 meters to a land mass and advised survivors grouping up and staying there till rescue. We know the company that sent the aurora knows of the crash and suspects survivors. On the mentioned land mass there is a ruined base and in it a PDA which in the PC version is accessible and states the scientists that resided there were moving to a deepsea base.

It would make for an amazing gameplay if there were a deep optional Story inside the survival aspect if the player chose to investigate.
The player once getting these coms can chose to investigate or ignore them as they already do. If they wait to long certain events will disappear. Like when the Com comes in of another escape pod which is beginning to sink (which does happen), the player could actually try to save the other survivor and could have him become an npc who helps keep the base running. Maybe You can save other survivors and all join together on floater island repair and build onto the base there. Maybe you can try to locate the scientists before they lose power and supplies in the deep ocean and they can give you information on resources to make a strong enough signal to break the atmosphere.
Maybe if you actually investigate enough and save and group up with enough people you could have rescuers that do come eventually but instead of rescuing they decide to go off the bases you've built and colonize. This bring more ships which means more possible crashes more and new resources.
I know the game was originally made with the idea of multilayer and even if that never happens adding NPCs with skill sets and potential roles would be a cool replacement.
Maybe the player can save a Aurora survivor with mining skills and if he is saved he teaches you how to make mining equipment. Then you can have a multipurpose room with a drill that passively excavates minerals and he can operate in for you. Maybe he can give you the blueprint for the Terraformer (far less powerful less invasive version of it though just for helping with base building. Maybe if you don't save him in time you'll never get those blueprints. Apply the same to other npcs. A doctor, a nuclear physicist, a mechanical engineer, a bio engineer, a botanist. All character types that can be npcs that need saving with special benefits to offer. Even if the player choses to ignore the coms they might still run into these npcs and have the chance to participate in certain events by just exploring if they're in the right place and the right time.

Anyone else think this would he s good idea? Devs, have you guys considered any of this?
It seems as if the Devs have put some
thought of a story into this with all the the communications and data logs but I'd love to see that develope more. This is an awesome game it's just I'd love if there was some story to investigate for those players that chose to undertake it without ruining the basic survival gane aspect for they players that just want that and nothing more.
And personally I'd love for something to give me that extra sense of accomplishment and amazement. Like imagine the feeling of just stumbling into the situation of saving the life of an NPC you never even expected to encounter.
And I wonder what I'll have left to do after finding all the blueprints. I've already fixed the aurors generator, found both islands, skimmed through all current biomes, encountered most if not all the flora and fauna available on the XB1 version, reached 600 meters deep, built a huge self sustaining base and farm, I'm already starting to reach the point of what do I have to attempt next.

But as I said this game is amazing and it's beauty alone keeps me playing for hours on end. I'm just wondering if there is any potential for some sort of story or goal series even if just a mild back story and would love to hear about that from the devs. And I'm interested to hear ideas and opinions from other players of what they think an optional side story or investigative back story could involve.