AUTOSAVING!!!

Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
You know what'd be nice? My game to not crash after having done a ****load of stuff and losing all progress up until last save point.

You know what'd also be nice? Autosaving at certain points in the game (i.e. when inventory is secured) so this stuff doesn't happen!!!!!!!

Comments

• AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Oh please no! I don't want autosaving. I want to be able to choose when and where to save!

Autosaving is demonic!
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    As someone who has been using computers for the past 30 years, saving often is as natural as breathing...had an Apple 2e that would crash if you just LOOKED at it wrong! I like the idea of optional auto-save, but ultimately if you don't want to do things over then train yourself to hit the save button!
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Just imagine you fucked up during your game, and then there's an autosave. That means you can't undo what you fucked up and you're basically screwed. DON'T bring autosave, please!
    Yeah, then there's that...although making it optional would cover everyone
  • hmcivhmciv TX Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216033Members
    I prefer "snark auto saving", which saves the game in that golden few seconds between when you've completely doomed yourself and when you realize it's game over! ;)

Which is almost only funny once and then you realize you're also now going to need a new controller...
  • TigerTankSniperTigerTankSniper Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211735Members
    how about a save and load function on one world "hurm i want to go back when i only had a knife and a scanner"
    Also known as "new game" almost...
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    @TigerTankSniper That's gonna take a shit ton of memory space.
    No, just start a new game and console yourself a knife and scanner..
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    edited May 2016
    how about a save and load function on one world "hurm i want to go back when i only had a knife and a scanner"

There's a button called new game for that... . Like knive and Scanner takes much to craft. oO
    Well, if he just wants to start with those...

But yes, they're easy to craft
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Oh please no! I don't want autosaving. I want to be able to choose when and where to save!

Autosaving is demonic!

They should have it so you have to enable autosave first just for those who do want it, or you can select a world to autosave for
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Picture this: You're totally immersed into a game. You have done a buttload of stuff like collecting different materials, scanning a bunch of fragments, making massive changes to your base, stuff like that. You're too immersed into the game experience to care about pausing and saving. But then, lo and behold, your display driver crashes. The game screen freezes, yet the game itself is still running in the background, teasing you at the fact that you can still save, it's just impossible to do so. All of that time scanning, building, foraging, all down the drain.

This is my opinion why I would like autosaving, or at least a toggle for it.
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    Understood, but as Yomama said if you`re playing/working with pcs for years you`re used to saving. Flash is a good/bad example for that, don`t know how it`s today, but it really liked to crash, so if you didn`t save on a regular basis you never finished something in flash.
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    I remember playing a game, I wont tell its name but it was a realtime game, where the Autosave-window would pop up and brutally rip you out from the immersion. It didn't help that saving took around 10-20s in this game.
    yomama wrote: »
    ...had an Apple 2e

I remember that computer. :-) I never had one but I learned programming using one at school. Oh, fond memories.

Back when I played Wizardry 1 , if someone has tried to describe Subnautica to me I would've assumed they were part of the 80s crack epidemic.
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    One of the first games I wrote was actually 3d. Well not really 3d by todays standards, but it gave at least an impression. It was one of those "find your way through a maze" programs, I had 80x25 ASCII characters and I think 4 shades of grey (definitly not 50...) so with a little imagination you *could* recognize a corridor with junctions. You moved by discretely hopping like 5m per move and the screen took like 2 seconds to refresh.

Whan I look at Subnautica it feels like a hundred years of technological advancement inbetween. I remember when 320x200 pixels in 4 colors were "state of the art", I sometimes wonder how we were even able to read anything in these resolutions.

When I look at my children I ask myself, in 30 years or so, will they look on todays technology with the same nostalgia as I look at the 80s computers? What is going to be state of the art in 30 years? How will gaming evolve?
    Really good question, started with a c64, man those were times. One of my biggest favourite games up until now is the good old c64 pirates.
    Back when you could feel like a total badass with your 32mb hdd...
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    Dinkelsen wrote: »
    One of the first games I wrote was actually 3d. Well not really 3d by todays standards, but it gave at least an impression.

The first game I wrote was even more "pseudo 3D". :D It was played on a Teletype terminal connected to the university's mainframe. Yup, paper-based 3D!

It was a version of a simple lunar lander game and the space in which you controlled the ship was illustrated by multiple 2D paper print-outs that you stacked to represent 3D space.

I spent way too much time working on that instead of studying! :)
    And now we can play subnautica on oculus...ain't that a kick in the head...
  • KurgenKurgen Planet Earth Join Date: 2016-04-23 Member: 216051Members
    Just imagine you **** up during your game, and then there's an autosave. That means you can't undo what you **** up and you're basically screwed. DON'T bring autosave, please!

No need... a separate autosave slot could be created, independent of your manual save. Many / most games have had this function since the dark ages.
    @Kurgen What exactly do you mean?
  • omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
    lot of people want autosave, lot of people dont want autosave...

then for make happy everybody, why no add an option to set it? Autosave: Yes / No
    and that's all...

my game has a lot of crashes since last update, i'd really appreciate to have this function for not losing that much of progress by crashing...
  • GingivitisGingivitis Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216776Members
    If there was an auto-save feature, it would need to be separate from your main save file. Basically you would have two save points, the auto-save based on something (ei. set time, entering base, etc.) and then your manual save option. I would really like something like this as well.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Gingivitis wrote: »
    If there was an auto-save feature, it would need to be separate from your main save file. Basically you would have two save points, the auto-save based on something (ei. set time, entering base, etc.) and then your manual save option. I would really like something like this as well.

That's exactly what I mean. It should also keep a record for the 5 most recent saves in your games.
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    omegataur wrote: »
    lot of people want autosave, lot of people dont want autosave...

then for make happy everybody, why no add an option to set it? Autosave: Yes / No
    and that's all...

my game has a lot of crashes since last update, i'd really appreciate to have this function for not losing that much of progress by crashing...

Options are the bane of game development, as if you "add an option for it" on everything, you end up making the same game twice, if not more, over.