OH NOOOO another cyclops dock discussion

gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
their has been many ideas of a cyclops dock and several of how it could couple with the base so it can recharge and you can move in between base and sub without getting wet my question is this a mut point, as it is it would ether require redesigning the cyclops or designing a new base module

x9dbqj43a8ti.png
ksikefrxl6e4.jpg
mzwztfbvqh3y.jpg
qphuyr8md3mh.jpg
909tli4aez2m.jpg

Comments

• ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    It'd be much too big though, a simple corridor module that auto connects with the front of the Cyclops where we'd normally enter would be easier to program and not take up as much space
  • RovaskiRovaski South Carolina Join Date: 2016-05-12 Member: 216663Members
    Yes, it would be rather large, but we are talking about an ocean that, in some areas is 500M+ deep. So, honestly. What would be the problem with the size. I mean, the cyclops docking bay would be more of a late game item anyways. Near the beginning you could have a simple umbilical like structure, like how airplanes connect with the airport structure, for loading/unloading of passengers.

When I took my dog out to the dog park, I was thinking a little bit about potential ideas to replace having such a massive module. One such idea was, what about a module about the size of two Multipurpose room's stacked atop one another or however tall it's needed envelope the front of the sub.

As you near the module, the module will extend out a lit platform, "guiding you in" {In reality, the ship would initate docking procedures automatically, akin to how the seamoth docks}. The module would be open until dock, where form-fitting doors would lock around the front of the ship, small cable umbilicals would extend and begin refueling the sub with power. As you're leaving the helm of the ship, the water would be draining from the module and a small light near the exit door would light up green, giving you the go ahead to exit the ship. Would be a lot smaller than an entire docking bay but it'd retain the security of a solid dock, plus it's a lot cooler than a simple junction.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Why not have the have the hatch design, but also have clamps that fit around the front end allowing you to power it and a module fabricator at the hatch where you enter.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    I think a giant moonbay style drydock is needed.

The game is all about huge scale anyway. Just add in 4x larger rooms to compensate and the cyclops moonbay won't seem as big anymore. Besides one room capable of four bio reactors is easier to service then climbing a ladder to access one bioreactor per floor, and it gives ppl a reason to hunt down all that titanium.
  • OsydiusOsydius France Join Date: 2015-09-19 Member: 208031Members
    I thought of another way to dock the Cyclop myself :)

What we need is actually a docking room in which you enter face first (Cyclop’s face I mean) into the wall. So imagine a square room where you have the shape of the Cyclop’s front embedded in the wall (as if you had pushed the Cyclop’s face into a soft surface, leaving a print). You would slowly attach yourself to the wall which would close around the nose of the Cyclops (to make it airtight). Then, the eye of the Cyclop (the round glass panel) would simply open forwards, a footbridge would extent your way and you would step out of the Cyclops inside your base. Once docked, this means that most of the Cyclop’s body would still be out in the water, only the first few meters would be embedded in the wall of the room.
  • DakkanorDakkanor New Zealand Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216616Members
    Rovaski wrote: »
    I was thinking, something similar to the moonpool, obviously large enough to accommodate the Cyclops but instead of floating up into the module, you simply drive into it, much like a garage. The module pulls in the cyclops, docking it and then the bay door closes and the water is pumped out. When you exit underneath through the front entrance, you find yourself on an extending platform, similar to the one that is on either side of the seamoth when it's docked in the moonpool. Another idea would be to have the seamoth launch bay of the Cyclops open up while docked and that would be your means of entering/leaving the cyclops, providing you easy access to the lockers inside for moving cargo.

i had a similar idea, but it would also serve as a cyclops modification station too, making the cyclops more modular, being able to change the engine for a fission reactor or installing a cargo section to the empty are a just below the engine room, or even changing the seamoth bay for somthing else entirely. i imagine that my idea is a bit too much work but having that kind of customization would be awesome imo
  • After_MidnightAfter_Midnight Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215890Members
    edited May 2016
    Dakkanor wrote: »
    I was thinking, something similar to the moonpool, obviously large enough to accommodate the Cyclops but instead of floating up into the module, you simply drive into it, much like a garage. The module pulls in the cyclops, docking it and then the bay door closes and the water is pumped out. When you exit underneath through the front entrance, you find yourself on an extending platform, similar to the one that is on either side of the seamoth when it's docked in the moonpool. Another idea would be to have the seamoth launch bay of the Cyclops open up while docked and that would be your means of entering/leaving the cyclops, providing you easy access to the lockers inside for moving cargo.

i had a similar idea, but it would also serve as a cyclops modification station too, making the cyclops more modular, being able to change the engine for a fission reactor or installing a cargo section to the empty are a just below the engine room, or even changing the seamoth bay for somthing else entirely. i imagine that my idea is a bit too much work but having that kind of customization would be awesome imo

Also I had this idea of the "garage" Cyclop's dock. But I thinks its adds more immersion when the water was pumped up the "windshield" will open up and a bridge will slide to you. Something in this kind...

I'm generally not really happy with the entrance to the Cyclops. Its not bad. But it should not be the only one.

BTW: I'm happy when the dev's are fix the seamoth release of the Cyclops.

Greets After_Midnight
  • ifferiffer Join Date: 2005-03-12 Member: 45041Members, Constellation
    Why not use the existing artwork items on the top of the moon pool? The pair of bumps are about the right spacing for the seamoth bay and the cyclops entrance. Just make the upgrade to the moonpool a pair of (extending) docking hatches and the seamoth arms able to reach up as well as down to fetch the seamoth from the cyclops bay. When docked, the cyclops powers/recharges from the base as if it was a room and the personnel hatch is just a joining ladder.
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members

It should have its own modification station so you can get something like a larger storage amount for the lockers down below or something like that ;). They could also have it so that when the cyclops gets pulled in theres some glass and then you can exit from a hatch
  • ifferiffer Join Date: 2005-03-12 Member: 45041Members, Constellation
    While I still like the idea of landing the cyclops on tops of the moonpool for "docking", Another option for recharge etc could be to let us build a power spike or some other type power receiver inside so the cyclops can charge via one of the power "beams" - pull up close to a powered base or solar panels and the cyclops reaches out and gets a charge. In a back story sense it couldn't be that hard to justify since even a solar panel has the beaming tech built in.
  • DestinyPlayerDestinyPlayer Russia Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218319Members
    edited June 2016
    How about doing a dry-dock instead of a moon-pool? i.e. the room has a door on the top, not on the bottom, and when the sub connects, it closes up and pumps out all the water.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    What if the cyclops can only connect to a hallway branching off a moonpool. then when it is like that you can use the seamoth modification station to edit your cyclops so you don't have to go inside