Honestly..

Space_JesusSpace_Jesus Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182732Members
It might of been better off postponing this update so as to allow inclusion of the planned mechanics/entities such as Sea Treaders, Cutefish, Spine Eels, Warpers, and rechargable batteries into the base game. Yes, in its current form the update is quite nice but doesn't feel fitting of having the title of a "Big Update" like the other monthly updates did. It sort of feels empty in a way. The Cyclops upgrades, Scanner Room, respawnable creatures, new area, and the Crabsquid is pretty bloody impressive but doesn't give this update the padding like the previous ones. Please do note that this isn't an attack on the developers at all and is just my initial opinion on the update; my view may actually change the further I get into the new save I have started.

To any developers who might take the time to give this post a little sticky-beak: I implore you to keep up the work despite my opinion.

Comments

• blurbrerrrblurbrerrr Join Date: 2015-10-03 Member: 208281Members
    i think they just released this one so people wouldnt get pissed, also im pretty sure one of the devs said hopefully another update comes out in the next few weeks but i may just be hallucinating
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
    I can name all those three whiners if you all want to, but yes, it's indeed a hard task for the devs.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I think that what everyone was really expecting, beside the remodelled reactors, was the battery/cell rechargers. that alone, when finished, will alleviate ALOT of peoples frustration towards the current gameplay (in particular, how the cyclops is used/not used atm because of its power consumption).

Given the name of this update, the Machinery Update, i think we all got our hopes high for this feature to come live right here. i for one was one of them expecting this but in all honesty the devs never promised anything. Also, it is us the community that interpreted the Trello wrongly on the rechargers. What was marked as ''done'' was the models and not the whole coding process.

Hopefully they will arrive in the next update :smiley:
  • After_MidnightAfter_Midnight Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215890Members
    LeonDOGE wrote: »
    I can name all those three whiners if you all want to, but yes, it's indeed a hard task for the devs.
    Do it....
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Do it....

I'm no moderator here, but name calling is always a big no-no on forums, so... don't.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I think the devs have better to do than care about us. They have to survive and make sure that Subnautica gets a success. They need the update to make the product Subnautica more known to the public. Without this update the public interest or good talk about Subnautica might get too weak. So it had to be done. But really not for a few people or those playing experimental, than rather for the mass of players looking for the next stable version.

The only things that struck me with their release message was the missing "machinery update" message normally appearing with major updates in the main menu. And the other one was the strange range extension behaviour of the scanner room that made it look broken at first. Getting 60m without upgrades at first and then getting 90m range with 4 upgrades is an average extension of about 7.5m per upgrade. Almost not noticable. In other runs after testing I also got the other extremes of 30m without and 110m with all 4. So it's more an average of 50-90m and therefore 10m per upgrade. Not really worth making upgrades at all. So I expected more of the stable update looking unfinished and am still glad playing experimental that's quite stable to me.
    edited May 2016
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    Do it....

I'm no moderator here, but name calling is always a big no-no on forums, so... don't.

Alright, 2/3 have appeared, where's the last one?
    Edit: Not you.
    edited May 2016
    @zetachron: Pointed to the first part of your last post: I really don't want to start another trouble but ONE person told me the exact opposite and it was very hard for me not to answer to his post....
    edited May 2016
    Sigh, one the devs said this, and I personally think that he has a point.
    oqH2nsc.png?1
    Stop complaining/whining/demanding stuffs every goddamn time, everyone.
    Sorry this time he get no point from me. Really sorry...
    Sorry this time he get no point from me. Really sorry...

Your opinion is not well appreciated, good for you.
  • AncoliusAncolius Nederland Join Date: 2015-02-01 Member: 201148Members
    Excellence takes time, if you lot would know what a nightmare changing a single line of code is in a finished part one single letter or number can mess up the script of other things attached to it.
    Since it is a recharge script it would affect everything using battery's so there is a good chance every vehicle, tool and power supply’s script needs to be altered or rewritten.
    Not to mention you need all the models, animations for every tool/ vehicle and the character.
  • rudyeckertrudyeckert Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173444Members
    @leondodge

No that dev does not have a point. The power systems in this game are The absolute most important short term improvement that can be made. In fact I think these features are about 6 months overdue. I'm really not trying to be unreasonable, I could have waitied for storyline updates, farming updates, new creatures, and new biomes. I love all of those things but the amount of work put into them before fixing the power was not worth it.

I remember about 1 hour into my first game thinking about how I could not wait to get a base up with a large power capacity (it seemed like common sense there would be buildiable moduals you would insert power cells into just like the lifepod) only to find out powercells were just consumables. I also remember thinking that a power update would most likely be the thing they would focus on next as it was the most glaringly obvious flaw in the game. Again this was six months ago.

Then they released solar panels which are cool however I'm confused why they have a capacity at all. It seems to me that they should charge the cells you have installed in your base.

All in all, I think the "charger" should be more like a base capacitor. You should have an option to turn certain slots off so they don't add capacity to your base (this would be like a charging mode) and you can remove them for mobile use.

now im rambling,

Power control and streamlining is the single most important short turn flaw in this game

Multiplayer is the single most important long term flaw in this game.

So, to cory strader. Your not too far off, they are somewhat related
  • AdmiralPainAdmiralPain Germany Join Date: 2016-04-02 Member: 215206Members
    edited May 2016
    Power Cell would be nice to have, but i realy can run my Cyclops easy without it.

I can farm 6 Power Cells in about 10-15 Minutes? I always have about 15- 20 Powercells on my Cyclops, and never run out of Energy.

Seems to be to hard work for many People, to run thier mobile Base.
    Is it a natural thing of Generation i want it all, and i want it now, and i dont want to do anything for it?
    I go almost everywhere with my Cyclops easy, and i never run out of Energy with it.

Perhaps People should not recharge thier Empty Seamoth 5 times an Hour in it? :D

The Point is, that it feels realy fair, that you have to Farm some Energy to run a Mobile Base, and to prepare for big Journeys. The Cyclops makes you flexible and is a save Spot to travel everywhere, and can be used for you, to transport your Ressources everywhere on the Map to Build your Bases, or to Farm many many Ressources in every Biome you want. And that it is for me, my save Mobile Home and Freedom Station.
    It always felt fairly and good Part of the Game for me, that you have to work a little bit (it is realy not much, if you know where to search) , to farm something to run your Mobile Base.

It could be very hm, boring and not feeling hm... rewarded?-worthful? , when Energy Recharger comes in, and you have absoluteley no work, no effort to do, for running a Mobile Base that has such a great impact of Freedom in the Game.
    Yes my Cyclops means Freedom for me, i can go everywhere, i can Build everywhere, i can Fabricate everywhere, i can transport every Ressources everywhere with me, i can Farm every Biomes Ressources, and as many from them like i want.
    There should always be a trade for such a big advantage thing in a Game, and this trade is to farm Energy to run it.

For me, the acutal Mechanic runs fine with no Recharging Station.
    A Recharge Station perhaps would give me the feel, that running a Mobile Base needs nothing for me to do, no effort to run for your unlimited Flexibility and Freedom.

Just another and my personal Point of few, to the Recharge Station and the Cyclops.
    Yes, in its current form the update is quite nice but doesn't feel fitting of having the title of a "Big Update"
    Im very impressed with it.
    Perhaps it looks way small for People that always play Experimental and know all the things for a long Time, but not for me.
    I play 90 % of my Time Stable, and for me this Update is realy big and wonderful advantage.

So many Details, new things, and my Cyclops get Light Switchs (would love this for every Room of your Base, because it must look realy awesome, to have some Dark Rooms with all the beautyful lightning Flowers) and Cams, and a Collission Warning, funktional Lockers. yay
    New Biome, new Stuff, new Creatures that looks awesome and scary, Creature Respawn, new effects on the Aourora, Modeled Fragment Parts, new Balance or Spawning Places for the Fragments, Scanning Room implemention, many new little Details, some Terrain Changes, new Chairs , new Airtank Mechanic , new Hullpressure balance, new Display for Deph and many new things, i haven´t seen until now, but i will soon.

For me as a Stable Version Player, this Update is realy impressive, and i love what the devs have done. This Game gets bigger and bigger, and better and better. And i feel very rewarded for what i get with every new Update. ;)

So many new beautyful Screenshots i have to do in the next Weeks .

• yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    edited May 2016
    I see both sides. I was *REALLY* enthused about the stupid chargers, more so than for the more complicated other stuff. I was disappointed. I recognize that it's all going to come sooner or later and got over it.

My gripe was actually with the size of the cyclops lockers...but I got over that too.

It's like cats. anyone who has ever had a cat may be able to confirm...you buy a fancy, freaking expensive cat toy and what makes the cat lose its mind? Those plastic things from the milk jug. A paper bag. The shipping box from the expensive cat toy the damn thing has zero interest in that you shopped for and were so proud of yourself for finding a great deal on. Freaking cats, man.

My dog on the other hand...
    A new frisbee! I LOVE MY NEW FRISBEE!
    A new ball! I LOVE MY NEW BALL!
    A piece of poo! I LOVE POO OMNOMNOMNOM
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    edited May 2016
    I personally have no use for the Scanner room (yet), still I build it and I like the update. It`s still EA, as long as updates come, no matter what, it`s ok. Don`t forget that by looking at what is added with an update.

Edit: Yeah, I damn miss the rechargers too. But hell then I have to do it the usal way, grabbing massive amounts of acid making cells. Could be much worse. Since I guess there will be another "Start a new game or you won`t get everything new ingame" once all biomes are completed then I will see acid mushrooms again near my base(s). xD

Only thing that`s very strange so far is that every energy producing system is seperated, meaning they fill up their own max energy, but not the max energy of your Base.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    I personally have no use for the Scanner room (yet), still I build it and I like the update. It`s still EA, as long as updates come, no matter what, it`s ok. Don`t forget that by looking at what is added with an update.

Edit: Yeah, I damn miss the rechargers too. But hell then I have to do it the usal way, grabbing massive amounts of acid making cells. Could be much worse. Since I guess there will be another "Start a new game or you won`t get everything new ingame" once all biomes are completed then I will see acid mushrooms again near my base(s). xD

Only thing that`s very strange so far is that every energy producing system is seperated, meaning they fill up their own max energy, but not the max energy of your Base.

Just wait until the devs add some piece of equipment or upgrade that requires Mercury or some other resource that requires mining.

I wonder if it would be better for Power to be separated into Generators and Capacitors. Capacitors would be strictly for determining the current power and maximum power while Generators would be strictly for the rate of power generated. Have one Solar Cell and no Capacitors and only the automatic base functions like the lights and oxygen will work. Have a bunch of Nuclear Reactors and Capacitors and you can go from 0 power to 1000 power in 10 seconds. After all, Reactors are measured in how much energy they create per second rather than how much energy they create.

Also, rechargers should be able to go both ways for extreme circumstances. No power to the base and you need to convert some Metal Salvage Creepvine Seed Clusters into Titanium and Lubricant for a Bioreactor, then you can by just placing a couple of batteries into the recharger to provide some emergency power. Or charge up the Seamoth or Cyclops with a bunch of batteries.
  • hmcivhmciv TX Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216033Members
    I'll leave this here for the developers. http://xkcd.com/1425/

zvxeevnloapo.png
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    edited May 2016
    starkaos wrote: »

Just wait until the devs add some piece of equipment or upgrade that requires Mercury or some other resource that requires mining.

I wonder if it would be better for Power to be separated into Generators and Capacitors. Capacitors would be strictly for determining the current power and maximum power while Generators would be strictly for the rate of power generated. Have one Solar Cell and no Capacitors and only the automatic base functions like the lights and oxygen will work. Have a bunch of Nuclear Reactors and Capacitors and you can go from 0 power to 1000 power in 10 seconds. After all, Reactors are measured in how much energy they create per second rather than how much energy they create.

Also, rechargers should be able to go both ways for extreme circumstances. No power to the base and you need to convert some Metal Salvage Creepvine Seed Clusters into Titanium and Lubricant for a Bioreactor, then you can by just placing a couple of batteries into the recharger to provide some emergency power. Or charge up the Seamoth or Cyclops with a bunch of batteries.

Sorry Pal, but I have lockers even for Mercury. I know it has no use for now, but for just in case I store even unused stuff. xD

AND still no use for the Scanner room then since Mercury ain`t near any of my bases usally.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    starkaos wrote: »

Sorry Pal, but I have lockers even for Mercury. I know it has no use for now, but for just in case I store even unused stuff. xD

AND still no use for the Scanner room then since Mercury ain`t near any of my bases usally.

Shouldn't thermometers use mercury?
    edited May 2016
    The scanner room will unfold its potential once you need to drill out half of the resources while the other half is hidden like quartz inside weeds or sandstones matching the color of the sand they're in. In a few months no resource will just lay around.

The same with fragments. Once they were visible boxes lying around, then put into wrecks (still work to do and be better placed), now the seamoth fragments look like useless wreckparts if you don't look closer, because lately useless wreck parts were distributed to the map. If more useless machinery wreck parts appear we'll have a hard time distinguishing them from the useful ones without the scanner room.

EDIT:
    But a max upgraded range of 100m won't work I think. 200m would be needed to be useful at minimum. Otherwise it will get a hazzle to rebuild scanner rooms to scan a biome. It could also work if you could scan mobile with the cyclops. Then even 100m would work.
    zetachron wrote: »
    The scanner room will unfold its potential once you need to drill out half of the resources while the other half is hidden like quartz inside weeds or sandstones matching the color of the sand they're in. In a few months no resource will just lay around.

The same with fragments. Once they were visible boxes lying around, then put into wrecks (still work to do and be better placed), now the seamoth fragments look like useless wreckparts if you don't look closer, because lately useless wreck parts were distributed to the map. If more useless machinery wreck parts appear we'll have a hard time distinguishing them from the useful ones without the scanner room.

EDIT:
    But a max upgraded range of 100m won't work I think. 200m would be needed to be useful at minimum. Otherwise it will get a hazzle to rebuild scanner rooms to scan a biome. It could also work if you could scan mobile with the cyclops. Then even 100m would work.

Or you could just hold the rmb with the handheld scanner 'till you find a fragment.
    edited May 2016

EDIT:

Or you could just hold the rmb with the handheld scanner 'till you find a fragment.

Try that with a 50x50 square meter debris field and 100's of pieces in the sandy red weeds. Not with half a dozen objects inside a wreck where it works as you described. Yesterday I had some hard time finding those seamoth parts. Yet it could get worse.

I forgot: While I searched, the sandsharks and biters tried to eat me.

EDIT:

Try that with a 50x50 square meter debris field and 100's of pieces in the sandy red weeds. Not with half a dozen objects inside a wreck where it works as you described. Yesterday I had some hard time finding those seamoth parts. Yet it could get worse.

I forgot: While I searched, the sandsharks and biters tried to eat me.

Any problems with tiger plants?