How about boats?

ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
I've been thinking that boats would allow for some freshness in terms of travel.

On one hand, they can be a faster way of traveling along the surface, and can bring some use to a dive reel, as you can attach one to a boat.

However, you cannot see below you and it is restricted to certain depths.

Idk, just a thought. I would just like to skip across the surface, and a Reaper just starts rocking my boat....

Comments

• CrioCrio Poland Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208247Members
    I think that it is not a good idea, since it misses the whole point of this game, which is underwater :-)
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    Yeah,the game focuses on underwater gameplay and i feel that boats would be a bit too out of place.A boat would only be practical if there were enough resources to sustain yourself Via Floating islands or dive reels and you would need to have limited mobility underwater in such a way that getting on a boat could actually be a viable option but that would be a totally different game than subnautica which 95% of the time,takes place in an aquatic enviroment.

The character would need to be in more danger underwater like lowered oxygen,mobility or more aggressive creatures to justfiy using a boat and even then,you can use a cyclops and it would be more practical since it isn't only limited to travel on the surface.Plus,using dive reels to get off your boat would be very slow paced and different from just diving.

Basically,this idea would be great but only if it was in another game as it doesn't fit Subnautica's theme.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    If a boat were to be implemented I'd like it to be an end-game item, and not in the way others have mentioned. My idea would be a pontoon boat that can be used as a decent sized garden. After all, we were appointed for terraforming missions to make the planet habitable for others, building boat islands after studying some tech and the giant floaters would be an excellent element to add to the game
  • SmashBrownSmashBrown Kerbin Join Date: 2015-08-27 Member: 207523Members
    No boats! moar subs! plz