Update 297: Shadow Fade Released!

12346»

Comments

• MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I kind of like the notion of it sapping energy and/or slowing your attack speed way down..

That way instead of it being lethal it would serve to weaken aliens and provide protection for resource towers so marines can defend them easier..

Its just a thought...

If they need to have the damage then I think the idea of making it a certain amount (15-25?) per bite would be the best route... That would solve any concerns about having it become a "noob-trap" while still keeping it effective...

• Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited May 2016
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    I kind of like the notion of it sapping energy and/or slowing your attack speed way down..

That way instead of it being lethal it would serve to weaken aliens and provide protection for resource towers so marines can defend them easier..

Its just a thought...

If they need to have the damage then I think the idea of making it a certain amount (15-25?) per bite would be the best route... That would solve any concerns about having it become a "noob-trap" while still keeping it effective...

Yes, well I think it would make more sense to create a temporary shield around an rt, so marines in the area would have more time to go save it. You could also have it zap an aliens energy, but not sure if that's fair to a skulk biting an rt. Could be waiting to jump out and attack a marine and then have no energy or attack speed.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Frozen wrote: »
    It's still not going to feel good or right or just when I win with 1 hp remaining and die to the 25dmg power surge. It CANNOT be lethal, it can be damn near close if you want. But we HAVEEEE TOOO BITE RESSSSS

For this reason I expect to see more regen now. Which isn't a bad thing, most people pick carapace in pretty much all situations. Would be nice if they removed the stupidly loud sound effect in return, though.
    Frozen wrote: »
    It's still not going to feel good or right or just when I win with 1 hp remaining and die to the 25dmg power surge. It CANNOT be lethal, it can be damn near close if you want. But we HAVEEEE TOOO BITE RESSSSS

For this reason I expect to see more regen now. Which isn't a bad thing, most people pick carapace in pretty much all situations. Would be nice if they removed the stupidly loud sound effect in return, though.

Yeah but regen doesn't matter if you don't have it or you happen to have really low hp and you barely have time to get an rt down. Why not just make this a shield protection so marines can go save the rt and work for it?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Deck_ wrote: »
    Why not just make this a shield protection so marines can go save the rt and work for it?

Was nano shield removed recently or something?
    Why not just make this a shield protection so marines can go save the rt and work for it?

Well there you go. I never use nano shield on structures, but if that's already how it works then it's already in the game...perhaps make it more useable to save rt's. Or does it already fully protect rt's for a certain amount of time?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Well there you go. I never use nano shield on structures, but if that's already how it works then it's already in the game...perhaps make it more useable to save rt's. Or does it already fully protect rt's for a certain amount of time?

It reduces damage to 30% (?) for 3 seconds.

So I would suggest having them look into making that very easy to do. So you just have to push on the rt you want to protect. Then they can change it to full protection for a certain length of time or whatever they want. I just thinking saving marine rt's isn't a bad focus, but I don't like the idea of it hurting skulks.

So I would suggest having them look into making that very easy to do. So you just have to push on the rt you want to protect. Then they can change it to full protection for a certain length of time or whatever they want. I just thinking saving marine rt's isn't a bad focus, but I don't like the idea of it hurting skulks.

Right now it's as easy as researching it and pressing E>D>click

Well they could consider making it not need research and having it be selected by pushing on the rt so it's very easy for any commander to find. It just seems like then it would be very straightforward to how to protect your rts. Or even if they wanted to make it keep it's research but change how it works so it's more of a protection so it's a bigger part of the game. I just don't think this new power surge is necessary and feels wrong from a skulks perspective.

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @F0rdPrefect One of the tenets of balance I mentioned being marine vs alien it's important to pay attention to how power surge forcing defense upgrades will weaken aliens. Celerity is of major importance in the current meta and balance scheme.

This all will depend on next weeks alien balance changes so I don't want to jump the gun after rantology mentioned that. I don't love the packaging of changes so far already, but if they form into a coherent package after 4 patches it'll have been very worthwhile.

Well they could consider making it not need research and having it be selected by pushing on the rt so it's very easy for any commander to find. It just seems like then it would be very straightforward to how to protect your rts. Or even if they wanted to make it keep it's research but change how it works so it's more of a protection so it's a bigger part of the game. I just don't think this new power surge is necessary and feels wrong from a skulks perspective.

Don't forget you can use it on everything else as well - giving marines nanoshield for free would make it trivial to win early game engagements.

Don't forget you can use it on everything else as well - giving marines nanoshield for free would make it trivial to win early game engagements.

Good point, but that's the good thing about updates. They can change it. They could develop a new protecting rt ability that works different than normal nano shield. Have it give off a cool new color.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Would be nice if they removed the stupidly loud sound effect in return, though.

Oh my god yes this!! That healing sound effect is so ridiculously loud that Marines can sometimes hear it from two rooms away...
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Sigh. Grinding phase gates are going to be even more of a pain now.

good. Cause tunnels can't be grinded down or turned in to meat grinders.
  • AliteAlite Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60188Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Sigh. Grinding phase gates are going to be even more of a pain now.

good. Cause tunnels can't be grinded down or turned in to meat grinders.
    I can't agree with that line of thinking.

2 or 3 marines standing around a tunnel and waiting for the skulks to come out will essentially make that tunnel a grinder for those aliens. The only reason "grinder tunnels" aren't a thing is because 2+ marines can outright kill the tunnel in a couple of seconds. Your comparison just doesn't fit in my opinion.

EDIT: rephrased my post
  • bambusbambus Germany / Stuttgart Join Date: 2014-08-24 Member: 198092Members
    edited May 2016
    Rupture charge time decreased by 42% (was 3s now 1.25s)

I hate to be the wise guy, but math?
    1.25/3 = 0,42
    so it was decreased to 42%, or by 58% if I'm correct.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    bambus wrote: »
    Rupture charge time decreased by 42% (was 3s now 1.25s)

I hate to be the wise guy, but math?
    1.25/3 = 0,42
    so it was decreased to 42%, or by 58% if I'm correct.

Good catch.