Commander interaction with world objects

BehroozBehrooz Join Date: 2002-03-14 Member: 315Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Would a slight random delay make sense?</div>The Commander is able to trigger buttons/doors/etc at any time from Commander Mode by "hacking" in through the systems.  

This could provide a theoretical justification for adding a 125-500ms random delay to the commander's ability to interface with the world, and an additional short delay before the commander is able to activate another button/door.  Logically, a marine hitting a button should get an instant effect... but it would take the commander a half-second longer to do the necessary hacking.

Adding a slight random delay and a post-triggering delay would reduce the impact of the following problems:

1.  Commander being able to instantly slam fast doors on aliens/teammates.  (Mappers could still make deathtraps by using bigger/faster doors, if they *really* thought it necessary)

2.  Commander being able to activate multiple buttons in sequence (i.e. multiple-button systems for opening doors that require several marines to activate)

Both of those could potentially screw up gameplay elements, and IMO should be minimized.

Comments

• hardy_weinberghardy_weinberg Join Date: 2002-03-27 Member: 357Members
    hey that's really cool, i didn't know the commander could interact with the environment.  but i totally agree on the delay, though there should be some audio notification so it actually sounds like the commander is hacking in---otherwise the player might think its lag or something.  but cool stuff, i'd like to see that!
  • arsonidearsonide Join Date: 2002-02-14 Member: 218Members
    add an entity trait for doors like, door_hack_difficulty from like, 1 - 10 and have 1 be instantaneous and 10 be uber hard 2 second hack, ya know? randomize it but depending on the door, that will give the mappers freedom to do what they wanna do
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Guys...commanders can avtivate anything in the level already. Anything a marine/alien con turn on, switch, open, spin, etc, the commander just clicks on it and voila, the object porforms its desired action.
    Also arson, a delay IMO would not work, the maps are supposed to be made with "group excursions" area near the marine spawn. In a map like Bast, every exit requires a slow door to open, slow elevator to descend or something to slowly spin around. If a mapper adds these in, this time is enough of a delay. Waiting even longer for the commander to hack it would make it excessively long.
  • Nemesis_ZeroNemesis_Zero Old European Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 75Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I agree with Comprox. Many of the entities have already to be on the edge of being so slow that fast reactions on the aliens attacks are becoming impossible. Further delay, as small as it may objectively be, would just be a pain.