Alternate join game/play now interface prior to accessing server browser

SamG2020SamG2020 Bristol UK | Vancouver Canada Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209449Members
I really like the idea behind the play now option, and would like to see more development of that feature. I personally however tend not to use it because I'd like at least a little control over the type of server it is going to send me to. I think that dividing the feature by game type could be a useful feature to bring some control to the option, but also could support a new game joining interface that could look a lot tidier than jumping straight into a server browser while also providing more details about the game type for the benefit of newer players.

I'd like to see something like a game type selection screen, each with:
  • description
  • play now button
  • server browser button (each button with appropriate filters for the selected game type)
  • # active players
  • # active servers
  • cute little picture to depict the game mode.

Stylistically, I'm thinking of a bigger version of the currently displayed Tundra promo and discord buttons.

There could be game type groupings roughly like 12-16, 18-24, >24, Last Stand, Faded, etc. I think these groups generally deserve unique descriptions, as the gameplay is rather different between them. There'd also be space for the mod disclaimers. 12-16 and 18-24 could be the most prominent, with modded types listed separately underneath. Mods could by displayed in order of active players, so the currently active or seeded ones will show up ahead of empty ones.

I think this would step around the recent filtering issue (filter game type first, then browse servers), while also providing a refreshed visual front to the game. It could put more emphasis onto the play now feature, potentially increasing its use. But may also help to support the seeding of modded servers by displaying up front the total player counts across such servers while directing new players to the main game modes. Ultimately, it would just be an interface to either guide the existing play now feature, or to put an initial filter onto the server browser.