Suggestion: Make the flashlight part of the suit or helmet

toxickillertoxickiller Earth Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215003Members
edited April 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
It's the future. You'd think your suit and/or helmet would have a light on it, especially for worker from a mining company. It's kinda silly to have this massive handheld flashlight to be the only portable light option other than flares.

How about making it an integral part of the helmet or your suit? You can still require players to craft a battery and glass for it, but it seems unnecessary to also require backpack space + hotbar space. If anything, maybe let us slot it in the HUD, where signals and the Thermometer is equipped? Then maybe we can dedicate a regular keyboard button for it, instead of taking up precious hotbar room.

Comments

• MayaserenaMayaserena Phoenix, AZ Join Date: 2015-09-15 Member: 207961Members
    I like the fact that you HAVE to decide whether you want to be armed (and blind) to defend yourself or use the flashlight so you can see what's what. It's a vital strategic decision that can make or break your game at times. And it's not silly to have a flashlight be large and or unwieldy. For years and years before the console fed generation that thinks it's perfectly normal for one person to carry around 9 large weapons and countless ammo for said weapons flashlights were large boxy annoying affairs.
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    While I'm not too concerned with the size of the item, given that it is a survival flashlight, maybe a wrist-mounted unit? Something mounted in the gloves slot would be nice, because after you repair the Aurora it ceases to be useful.
  • OsydiusOsydius France Join Date: 2015-09-19 Member: 208031Members
    I've always thought that this would be on of the thing we would be able to update with the modification station. Like you start with that big, clunky flash-light, and then modify it to fix it for instance to your suit (like make a bioluminous suit for instance).
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Osydius wrote: »
    I've always thought that this would be on of the thing we would be able to update with the modification station. Like you start with that big, clunky flash-light, and then modify it to fix it for instance to your suit (like make a bioluminous suit for instance).

Yes, the modification station should update suits. Especially if you consider that diving below 200m will be off limits for diving with normal suits one day (the display turns red at 200m). So why not update a diver helmet with a better one including lights.

If we love decisions and balancing it might be even better to create an upgradable suit system with a limited number of upgrades (like the seamoth):

2 Helmet upgrades:
    • radiation protection
    • advanced HUD comlink
    • helmet lights
    • rebreathing
    • liquid breathing

2 Suit upgrades:
    • radiation protection
    • reinforcement
    • stillsuit system
    • shock protection
    • thermal insulation
  • NevercallmebynameNevercallmebyname Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207155Members
    edited April 2016
    Mayaserena wrote: »
    I like the fact that you HAVE to decide whether you want to be armed (and blind) to defend yourself or use the flashlight so you can see what's what. It's a vital strategic decision that can make or break your game at times. And it's not silly to have a flashlight be large and or unwieldy. For years and years before the console fed generation that thinks it's perfectly normal for one person to carry around 9 large weapons and countless ammo for said weapons flashlights were large boxy annoying affairs.

Where were you when everyone was dissing this same feature in Doom3?