Unable to change commander binds

Doc_ODoc_O Join Date: 2016-03-11 Member: 214114Members
When I change the commander key binds (Q,W,E, ...) then my new binds don't work. I tried a lot of different keys, and it seems like only the default keys work. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are you changing the keys under the commander options? What exactly are you trying to change?
  • Doc_ODoc_O Join Date: 2016-03-11 Member: 214114Members
    Yes, I'm doing my changes in the commander tab of the options menu. I'm trying to change the grid shortcuts. Basically I wanted to move the three shortcut lines up by one on the keyboard. So by default the first line is Q,W,E and the second line is A,S,D,F. I want to start the first line with 1,2,3, then have the second on Q,W,E,R, and the third on A,S,D,F.
    I'm doing this because I have a german keyboard layout meaning that Y and Z keys are swapped compared to US layout, hence my third line would be weird.
  • mockmock Germany Join Date: 2014-03-28 Member: 195015Members, NS2 Playtester
    I guess in command mode the digit row is reserved for the hotkey bindings. I don't want to be rude, but if you are not using them, you should rethink your commanding. As a Marine Commander I have all my observatories bound to them (so a beacon is only 2 keys away), and then for example the Arcs, Macs etc. As an Alien I use them to select hives (I think the first hive is always bound to 1 anyway), and bind them to shifts for emergency relocation of upgrades and to drifters, because selecting them manually is always a pain ;-)
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Like mock said, The number row is probably reserved for hot-keying.
  • Doc_ODoc_O Join Date: 2016-03-11 Member: 214114Members
    edited April 2016
    You're right, I figured that it only accepts letters, no numbers and no other keys. Thanks for helping.
    And yea, I still learn to command so I appreciate the tips ;)
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    You can bind things you have selected (buildings, marines) to 1-9 keys by pressing simultaneously left CTRL and the chosen number.
    As an alien commander you can bind a key to your shift to echo a lot of things fast.
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    Excuse me @Doc_O but why don't you just swap y and z keys? ^^