Shade Hive Suggestion - Shysts

MaxPowerMaxPower Join Date: 2013-09-08 Member: 187992Members, Reinforced - Shadow
What if choosing a Shade Hive allowed Cysts to upgrade into Shysts? The idea combines a Shade and a Cyst together, allowing Alien Commanders to upgrade and hide their cysts from normal Marine vision.

pq223wp1d2wk.jpg
What a Shyst might look like

Shysts could have varying degrees of power:
2-3 rez: Cyst mutates into a Shyst, cloaking itself from normal view. Only viewable after taking damage or observatory scan/ within observatory range; Infestation still visible? Marines bumping into it do not reveal it.
5-10 rez: Cyst mutates into a Shyst, cloaking itself and other structures within 3 yards. It is essentially a weaker shade that also acts as a cyst. Can be discovered by all normal means.

For balance purposes and to not undervalue the Shade structure, perhaps Alien lifeforms cannot hide by a Shyst. Shades remain the only structure with Ink Cloud ability.

The idea is to make Shade Hive a little more viable of a choice as first hive, and fits the illusion/deception vibe.

Image originally from Mystic Cyst mod, found on the steam workshop here.

Comments

• ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    I like the idea in general.
    But the infestation should be invisible, too. Otherwise you would know there must be a shyst.
    A second upgrade could be loudless walking for marines on the infestation :smile:
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    Excellent idea. Pub matches may make more use of it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why add something new when shades do the exact same thing
  • MaxPowerMaxPower Join Date: 2013-09-08 Member: 187992Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Personally, my favorite is the first option of the two. I hate rebuilding cyst chains, especially really early game with aggressive marines. It would be nice to have nearly unbreakable chains for the first couple of minutes of a game. The cloak field was just an after thought, but I felt like mentioning it anyway.