Farming and SubNautica

eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
edited March 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
I bring this poll up because I think it is important.
The tread "Farming Feedback/Balance" I feel needs more community input.
forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/141305/farming-feedback-balance#latest

Comments

• eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    edited March 2016
    Dam the enter button got me, I wanted to add one more to the list I hope it will let me edit this. :(

I can not edit the poll I am sorry
    The last one would be

4) farming needs a cost in power consumption.

Again my apology

Is there an Admin that can fix this poll and add the 4th option??? Thank you. delete the post if necessary.
  • OrkaOrka Join Date: 2007-06-07 Member: 61157Members
    Well, the Trees make any other form of scavenging redundant since you can just pluck half a tree, get full bars and come back later to a full tree.
  • etherealyandereetherealyandere UK Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213830Members
    I love how much easier farming has made my game. Trying to catch fish was SO infuriating for me (I have a shitty trackpad on my laptop) so I was more inclined just to let myself starve to death rather than try to eat. However, farming lets me actually live, which is great! However, I do think there needs to be some restrictions put on farming, but not HUGE ones. Just like, making it so food grows slowly and has a smaller yield perhaps? Or maybe having the chance of food failing to grow or parasites infecting your food supply and rendering the food useless?
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    yes farming is OP especially the hanging fruit the only Drawback is the ridiculous inventory size. i can think of several ways to make it not so OP
    • like you said power
    • Water
    • Fertilizer
    • Reduced grow speed
    • Light

since they already have a light level system for the solar panels maybe they could expand that to the plants.
    and if you want to grow plants at low sunlight levels you need a sunlamp. witch adds power cost.

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Farming definitely needs some balancing. That said, they shouldn't nerf it TOO hard, or it will go from OP to not worth it.
  • DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    Dam the enter button got me, I wanted to add one more to the list I hope it will let me edit this. :(

I can not edit the poll I am sorry
    The last one would be

4) farming needs a cost in power consumption.

Again my apology

Is there an Admin that can fix this poll and add the 4th option??? Thank you. delete the post if necessary.

How would growing a plant require power? Just curious.
  • CaricaCarica US Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214970Members
    to farm you should have a completely different room.... a specialized room(s).... various sizes that consume a set amount of power.... with pre-built grow boxes....
    1. rooms of various size.... one the size of what is now the multi-purpose room, one the size of moon pool, and a 3rd that is twice the size of the moonpool which will allow the growth of trees (think of 2 moon pools side by side with a moon pool on top of it.... the other two won't let you plant anything that grows over a couple feet in height...
    2. Change the multi purpose room.... create specialized rooms for certain things... one room for water filtration, a command room (for your fabricator and storage of resources). have a larger (multi-purpose) room for the aquarium.... basically choose to build a 3 story multi-purpose room for the aquarium, can even make the aquarium larger buy either stacking the room on top of each other or expand the width of the aquarium by building another next to it.... . can even have a room for an office.... sleeping quarters for when you find other survivors of the Aurora... etc etc.
    3. Farming inside the seabase should require special lighting and water sprinkers..... so you will need to have a filtration system to distill the sea water... farming outside doesn't require as much, but would still need a filtration system. a Hydroponics lab....
    4. a special farming structure for outside the seabase.... filtration system on one side with sprinkers along with pre built growing platforms... of course no height restrictions.
    5. slow down the growth speed... small plants should take atleast 5 -7 days (game time), trees should take 2 weeks (game time)
    6. You travel through space on a ship your are going to have a hydroponics lab somewhere on your ship... Perhaps a wreck that was off the ship that contains part if not most of the hydroponics lab or a room on the Aurora you can go to after taking care of the radiation leak... you will need to scan 5 parts to get the hydroponics lab blueprint. it includes the grow pots/troughs (1 fragment) , water filtration (different than what you would use for self) would be 2 fragments, the specialized lighting fixtures (1 fragment), and then 1 for the actual room.
    7. Also the Aurora comes from Earth right?? so you are going have food from there.... give us some plants found in the hydroponics lab... ie tomato, potatoes, oranges, apples, etc etc.
    8. Another room you can add would be a cooking station.... for storage and cooking of food, so it won't spoil on us.
    edited April 2016
    Power use can be consumed in Heat for the grow beds and the water the plants need, also the lighting.

The thread "Farming Feedback/Balance" forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/141305/farming-feedback-balance#latest
    has lots of good ideas.

My post there puts a lot of what I think into words.
    The farming update IMHO is not the be all end all to survival for me, it eases the burden a little, with the changes in the game lately it is going to be more difficult exploring deep wreaks and will take more planning then just jumping in the seamoth, and the base needing power to have air just adds to that. We may have to depend on farming more, as the game unfolds into the vision the DEVS have for us.

I for one enjoy more of an exploration game then a survival theme. I did try a new start lately and didn't go to the Island for a long time. Living just off the fish tank is doable. I did find myself missing the plants in base just for the scenery.

I think something that is missing in the farming discussion, is that we can pick the mode at the start of a game. Needing food or not. I for one play survival and hardcore mode.

I have all confidence in the devs to find a balance. They may have this all worked out, even before the farming update was released. And have plans we are not privy to at the moment.
    Its official Devs live on snacks and not hanging fruit.
    I cant repost the pic, its in twitter, on the left side 2 pictures of a dev meeting. LOL
    https://twitter.com/UWEDev/
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members

Yeah, struck me too with my "the only weapon ... poll". We must be really careful or :#
    Its official Devs live on snacks and not hanging fruit.
    I cant repost the pic, its in twitter, on the left side 2 pictures of a dev meeting. LOL
    https://twitter.com/UWEDev/

No wonder, that explains a lot of survival and farming issues. But you're wrong with the hanging fruit tree. Just replace the image of the snack table with a tree full of snacks until you're stuffed. It's their candy tree. By the way, did you ever look inside the fruits. I heard that unpacking them would just reveal they are hidden bags full of snacks.