Latest Steam Update causing Sea Sickness in Subnautica? Game now unplayable for me.

JhadarSyJhadarSy Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215030Members
I binge played most all of yesterday and the game was fine. I've played the game for about 30 hours total.
Loaded my save game today after a Steam update. I start in my base on "solid" ground, but everytime I look left or right my viewport now rotates CW or CCW along the Z-axis (think spirals) about 5 degrees and then levels out over the next 1.5 seconds. This slow "releveling" makes it feel like you are on a ship that only rocks when you look around. It's nauseating! The game did NOT do this yesterday! But auto-update is on for this game so perhaps the devs changed/patched something without releasing a new build?

Thinking it was yet another corrupted save game, I start a new game. The intro freezes on a black screen. Restart game. Intro plays, but now new games have this new viewport phenom.
Exit game and steam. Reboot computer. Backup save games. Had steam remove and reinstall game.
Start new game and problem is still there!
But I noticed I didn't have to reassign my keyboard shortcuts so I suspect Steam or Unknown Worlds is storing that info somewhere - perhaps with other Unity game engine configuration files that would effect the viewport?

Game is now unplayable for me. I hope the devs fix this soon. I've searched everywhere for other Subnautica game configuration files on my HDD but didn't find them. Ah, they were in the registry (really guys?) under HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Unknown Worlds->Subnautica
Didn't see anything there though that would effect viewport.
Even tried changing screen resolution and turning on windowed mode. Didn't help. *sigh* I'm screwed.

(P.S The only other game that's made me seasick like this was Halflife where the game was fine until the avatar stepped inside his environmental suit and the viewport changed so that strafing moves caused this same 5 degree Z-axis rotation crap. I finally got past the worst of the seasickness so that I'd only get bad headaches after a gaming session. What infuriated me was that you could turn off "head bob" but nothing were turn off that evil spiraling effect!)

Comments

• JhadarSyJhadarSy Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215030Members
    This was in Build 30230 Mar-2016
  • JhadarSyJhadarSy Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215030Members
    Now that I think about it, the movement is similar to the effect when in the SeaMoth but greatly reduced. Perhaps the effect didn't fully turn off when I last exited? Or maybe I saved the game while in the SeaMoth and this caused it on reload? But that doesn't explain why its happening now on new games too. It was perfectly fine on Mar-28-2016 and now a day later it's constantly happening. So I wonder if any files auto-updated on that day? I've done a full reinstall so I can't check file timestamps.