How many airtanks and why?

eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
I will start by saying what I use and why.
If I am gathering ore and resources I use 3. This allows me plenty of air as I keep a eye out for bubble producing plants.
If I am exploring a wreak I use 6 and the Rebreather, I have died in hardcore mode getting disoriented when in larger wreaks.

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited March 2016
    Depending if theyre regular ones or High Capacity ones, i usually got for 2-3 normal ones in earlygame for gathering mats. For exploration of the Wrecks and deep caverns i wait till i have both a Seamoth and High Capacity Airtanks (usually 4) so that my air capacity is well beyond 200 (add to that a rebreather of course).

I may get curious if new Wrecks are added that i havent seen before and go in even if i dont have HC Airtanks ill then go with 6-8 regular ones. So you see i havent answered your poll cuz the number i have on myself varies greatly depending on the situation/reg. or HC tanks
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    2 high capacity.
    Im usually to lazy to carry more airtanks on wreck dives. But I may consider doing so.
    The big wrecks are becoming rather confusing.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    5 lightweights, (and ultraglide fins and a rebreather)
    for me it strikes that near-perfect balance between time and speed and carry capacity, especially as I usually do my resource gathering in a cyclops (which still has solar panels on the top)
  • sabin77sabin77 edmonton Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207081Members
    3 heavy tank for more air. I don't care too much about speed.
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    i use 3 HC tanks lots of air and lots of inventory space.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    I have yet to find in my current game (build 30600-30640) the High Capacity tanks and I can only dream of a seamoth. I did find the Nuclear Reactor :)

Ill have to try rhys_elcins build of 5 light and the ultrglide fins.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    I primarily use either 2 or 3 normal tanks with a rebreather, mainly cause I haven't gotten the modification station yet, otherwise I'd use HC tanks
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    1 HC tank, rebreather, ultraglide fins. Used to start with 1 normal tank and fins. For a short time I use 2 tanks until I get the seamoth tech. Reason is simply having space for fast harvesting and escape.

This might change as right now the fragment tech is a nightmare to find, especially power tech for my bases before my lifepod drifts away like a rocket. This is too stupid.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I usually run with 3 high-capacity tanks... gives 225 seconds of air (usually keep the rebreather equipped as well, unless I need the rad suit), which is usually pretty good for stayin' alive. I really want the dive reel to work properly for exploring wrecks - that would make finding your way out much less painful.
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    I usually run with 3 high-capacity tanks... gives 225 seconds of air (usually keep the rebreather equipped as well, unless I need the rad suit), which is usually pretty good for stayin' alive. I really want the dive reel to work properly for exploring wrecks - that would make finding your way out much less painful.

Try brain coral diving.
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    Always 3 lightweights tanks on my back, with the ultraglide fins (je suis un poisson).

Both on Cyclop and base I got always 2 more tanks for planning long expeditions, I guess I should add a pair of charge fins but, you know, once you got a locker full of High cap batteries, this isn't a problem anymore.
    I only need 10 coral brain beds to dive from the island to the lava castle ... Achievement unlocked: "True Pacifist" - won the game without using tanks.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I will start by saying what I use and why.
    If I am gathering ore and resources I use 3. This allows me plenty of air as I keep a eye out for bubble producing plants.
    If I am exploring a wreak I use 6 and the Rebreather, I have died in hardcore mode getting disoriented when in larger wreaks.

There's no option for 0 tanks. It's possible.
  • OoieGooieOoieGooie Australia Join Date: 2016-03-27 Member: 214893Members
    edited March 2016
    Nearly anything can be done with a Seamoth + 1 lightweight tank + glide flippies. You're super fast with lots of bag room. :)

Exploring tight spaces or confusing areas would require a lot more tanks. Speed vs Time is personal choice. Note speed allows you to avoid nasty monsters. I don't use guns.

Stab, stab.
    edited March 2016
    "There's no option for 0 tanks. It's possible. "
    I guess I should have a hardcore 0 option lol

Seamoth is getting hard to find I have explorded about 8 or more wreaks and no luck yet. ;)
  • VorgVorg AZ Join Date: 2016-03-23 Member: 214717Members
    I found the seamoth, but can get the bay to build it, and resources have gone poof, so couldn't build it even if I had the BP
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    edited March 2016
    2-3 Normal tanks in the beginning, and then 2-3 HC tanks when I can upgrade them. It really depends on whether I need those extra four spaces for either scavenging or food and water.
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    2 HCs but ultra-glide fins. I tried out the Plasteel tanks and felt that I preferred the capacity to the increased speed. As for why only 2, I don't like a lot of back-and-forth when resource gathering.
  • j0ndavj0ndav Bristol Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214373Members
    generally i use 2 high capacity becauswe i want more inventory space. If i need to go deeper than an upgraded Seamoth can handle i'll use 3 or 4
    I just found th high capacity tanks this morning, I may have to revise and amend my remarks. lol
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    I use 2 normally, 3 for wrecks.
  • NutrynionNutrynion Seattle, WA Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214541Members
    3 High Capacity, but also I drive around in the seamoth most of the time. You know you can also breath in the air bubbles that come out of the brain coral, if the situation demands...
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    Personally, one of the reasons that I go with High Capacity is that with the ultraglide fins on, I couldn't sense any appreciable speed difference between the HCs and Lightweights.
  • IcewaveIcewave Canada Join Date: 2015-11-02 Member: 208906Members
    i like to use 2 early-game but after i get a seamoth i just use one because they slow you down a lot and it's really annoying
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    This was posted on the To Do List of Trello a couple of days ago.

1. Add a paper doll slot for the tank.
    2. Change tank code so it doesn't count the number you have, but instead, your O2 and swimming speed are equivalent to the current game with 2 tanks.
    3. Change the high-capacity tank to also be slotted into the paper doll.
    4. Balance the high-capacity tank to be equivalent to the current game with 2 high-capacity tanks.
    5. Change basic tank recipe to 4 titanium and 1 glass.

So this will completely change the number of tanks we use when it is implemented. I am guessing that it will be 105 seconds of oxygen with a regular tank and 165 seconds with a high-capacity tank. This will free up at least 8 slots of inventory or let us bring more air tanks depending on our preference.
    starkaos wrote: »

2. Change tank code so it doesn't count the number you have, but instead, your O2 and swimming speed are equivalent to the current game with 2 tanks.
    4. Balance the high-capacity tank to be equivalent to the current game with 2 high-capacity tanks.

So this will completely change the number of tanks we use when it is implemented. I am guessing that it will be 105 seconds of oxygen with a regular tank and 165 seconds with a high-capacity tank. This will free up at least 8 slots of inventory or let us bring more air tanks depending on our preference.

That would mean I now have to use the lightweight plasteel tank with ulraglide fins to still allow me extreme fast swimming. But at least we get a slot that makes sense (not like the gloves).
    You can see your swimming speed if you hit f1 its about part way down the list.
    Swimming on the surface is fastest, I haven't checked it with different tank/fin combos.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »

That would mean I now have to use the lightweight plasteel tank with ulraglide fins to still allow me extreme fast swimming. But at least we get a slot that makes sense (not like the gloves).

You don't need to immediately switch to the lightweight plasteel tanks since it will be at least a week or two before it even is available on experimental.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    I'm not sure adding the air tank to the player paper doll is a good idea. As you can see by this poll, different players have different strategies. Switching to a specific, fixed slot will reduce the options we can experiment with.

Maybe a paper doll slot for several common tank options, but the player can still add tanks to their inventory to supplement their oxygen supply?