Wrecks, Lifepods and Bases: A guide in progress

124»

Comments

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    @Halios Maybe I sounded too agressive because I saw so many fans of books, movies and games defend flaws. Practically the small lifeboats are better suited for luxury ships but not economic working vessels and its not unthinkable to spend working ships some luxury lifeboats suited for VIPs or presidents. It's just unlikely and I tend to say it's just a game with its limits and its even only an intro, so easy to swallow it.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    Halios wrote: »
    But Klinn wasn't talking in those terms and I responded in kind. And those are good reasons why lifeboats only seat two.

Just to clear up something, it actually was Alrekr_Ironhand who wrote the post you replied to, not me. Not a big deal, just thought I should mention it.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    It doesn't matter how many seats are in a Lifepod since it is just a game. It is a game set hundreds of years in the future so what we take for granted is meaningless. So all we can do is give our impression on why there is only two seats. The Lifepods on the Aurora would have been designed with exploration in mind not a cruise ship that travels the same routes over and over again. So passengers could be stuck for weeks or months in space without seeing another ship. There is also the issue with having more lifepods means that the chance of everyone dying to micrometeoroids and other dangers in space decreases and increases the communication range of the distress beacon.

Then there is the possibility of a report done that proves that having more than 2 passengers in a Lifepod causes psychological distress. It might be proven that the more people stuck in a cramped space for weeks increases the chances for cannibalism. If there is only two people in the lifepod, then they can defend themselves from the other. If there is more than two, then the others can gang up on the fat one.

There was something interesting that was said by one of Youtube channels about the Subnautica opening. I think it was everynightxRIOT, but I could be mistaken. They wanted the protagonist to push through a bunch of people to get to his lifepod.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    @Halios Maybe I sounded too agressive because I saw so many fans of books, movies and games defend flaws.

Oh I don't think you sounded aggressive and I'm not one of those. If anything I might be more critical of flaws when I'm a fan of an IP. Don't even get me started about that latest Star Wars movie...
    zetachron wrote: »
    Practically the small lifeboats are better suited for luxury ships but not economic working vessels and its not unthinkable to spend working ships some luxury lifeboats suited for VIPs or presidents. It's just unlikely and I tend to say it's just a game with its limits and its even only an intro, so easy to swallow it.

Even assuming that small lifeboats are less practical - which I'm not sure is the case - sometimes in the real world the seemingly illogical happens due to the amazing power of money.

Eg. the mining company might already have a contract for the 2 person lifepods for their smaller vessels and maybe they could get a better deal on more 2-seaters for their new large vessels, than they could for bigger lifepods. Economy of scale. Facilities, production lines, workers etc. etc. are already in place. Provided legal safety requirements are satisfied, from a business point of view the cheaper option is usually what a business will go with. Executives make those decisions and their bonuses are typically tied to profits.
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    (Though it probably took more than a loose fire extinguisher to blow gaping holes in the sides of the pods. Was someone or something pot-shotting lifepods as they came down?)

I wondered this too, but my only issue with this line of thinking is the way the holes are formed. They were blown out from within, otherwise the metal would have been bent inward. Makes me think something in most of the pods exploded. Some of them were no doubt due to fires, but some of the equipment might have been affected by whatever took out the Aurora.

• DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    yes.If the explosions or fire never killed them,the impact and failure of certain floatation devices will.

You know,the protagonist is very lucky to survive.Landing in the safe shallows,with a functional fabricator and a succesfully deployed lifepod.
    I feel sorry for the person who's lifepod crashed into the grand reef.Imagine slowly sinking in a rapidly leaking lifepod into the bottom of the grand reef.
  • VorgVorg AZ Join Date: 2016-03-23 Member: 214717Members
    gotta wonder about the craftmanship of the pods and the ship for that matter give the condition of all the pods that make it to the water. Even your own almost kills you.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Vorg wrote: »
    gotta wonder about the craftmanship of the pods and the ship for that matter give the condition of all the pods that make it to the water. Even your own almost kills you.

I think that the water capabilities of the pods were only added as an afterthought. Pods are generally used for dealing with space since that is likely where 99% of the accidents occur.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    @starkaos im sorry but thats 91.4353% of the accidents that occurs in space, 47.234% of the people knows that! :smiley::trollface: