Skulk Suggestion: CTRL = climb on wall

RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
Tbh I'm not a huge fan of pressing down keys all the time to get around and I'm sure new players arent either.
Simple change: invert the behaviour of the CTRL key, by default skulks would not stick to walls and need to be pressing CTRL to do so.

Also since all other lifeforms sneak with CTRL maybe also switch CTRL and MAJ for skulk for clarity

Comments

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    This is a great toggle option idea. I doubt I'd use it, but reversing a function can't be too hard anyway.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is hard to guess the real effect of a change like this without actually trying it. I don't think this is a good change as proposed. Skulks should spend less time on the ground and more time on the walls. What you suggest makes it ever so slightly more difficult to climb walls. Since it would be more difficult, I would expect to see more skulks on the ground. More skulks on the ground would be a bad thing.

You do bring up one good point though. The behavior of the CTRL key is not consistent across lifeforms. It would be good to make it consistent across lifeforms. I just don't know how that would look
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Lifeform movement isn't consistent either, wallwalking vs bellysliding vs gliding vs blinking vs charging. So yeah, that is part of the game kinda...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Lifeform movement isn't consistent either, wallwalking vs bellysliding vs gliding vs blinking vs charging. So yeah, that is part of the game kinda...

It is often hard for me to remember being a rookie, but in this case I do. The 5 alien lifeforms that were completely different was one of the reasons I decided to buy this game. I never expected a skulk, gorge, lerk, fade, or onos to move the same way. This does make the game harder for new players, but it is also one of the charms of the game. This is separate and not related to consistent movement keys.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »
    The behavior of the CTRL key is not consistent across lifeforms. It would be good to make it consistent across lifeforms.

Ctrl is completely consistent across lifeforms, It's crouch. Shift is 'Movement Special' which obviously changes per class, Wall walk/belly slide/roost/meta/charge. Basically the unique movement mechanic or a component of it for each class. I think having a 'toggle' for wall walking would be really confusing personally.

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Guys, wtf, it's an NS2+ type option...
    Foxy wrote: »
    The behavior of the CTRL key is not consistent across lifeforms. It would be good to make it consistent across lifeforms.

Ctrl is completely consistent across lifeforms, It's crouch. Shift is 'Movement Special' which obviously changes per class, Wall walk/belly slide/roost/meta/charge. Basically the unique movement mechanic or a component of it for each class. I think having a 'toggle' for wall walking would be really confusing personally.

CTRL on skulk does not make you quieter. Shift does. On gorge, onos, lerk, and fade CTRL makes you slower and quieter.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Stay on topic, this is getting confusing.

No one likes change, so having an option for it may be the best way to do it so people can try it out and see for themselves that it's more convenient.
    But fact is if you are a half-competent skulk, you spend most of your time walljumping more so than climbing walls
    (ie. more time pressing ctrl down all the time than not).
    Inverting it would simply require more active usage of the key and less brainless keep pressed all the time stuff.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »

It is often hard for me to remember being a rookie, but in this case I do. The 5 alien lifeforms that were completely different was one of the reasons I decided to buy this game. I never expected a skulk, gorge, lerk, fade, or onos to move the same way. This does make the game harder for new players, but it is also one of the charms of the game. This is separate and not related to consistent movement keys.

Except for the Skulk, that is a wall climber, needs his drop down key. Which is logically the CTRL key if ya ask me :D

Those other aliens are the offenders. Even more so, cause they are a not the initial lifeform
    It does not matter which is the offender, but that there is inconsistency.

@revancorana, do you wall jump while holding CTRL?
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow

CTRL on skulk does not make you quieter. Shift does. On gorge, onos, lerk, and fade CTRL makes you slower and quieter.

CTRL on an Onos still makes the ground around you shake so is practically useless, also CTRL as a Lerk will detach from the wall same as a Skulk, using it to sneak on the ground as a Lerk is pretty much suicide, no?

Skulks do not need to crouch, they are low profile enough as it is already, so the only thing CTRL could do differently for a Skulk is make you move slower but not be able to wall climb, so you'd just use Shift anyway. I'm sorry to disagree but I think changing the behaviour of movement keys should be avoided at all costs. This problem is far easier solved by more intuitive tutorials and help documents like the wiki, all a work in progress.
    And to add to that, Gorge would have a protective crouch ability as well while crouching. But it never got implemented. Kinda similar of boneshield. just have a look in animations in viewer.exe, pretty sure it's still in there :D
    CTRL on an Onos still makes the ground around you shake so is practically useless, also CTRL as a Lerk will detach from the wall same as a Skulk, using it to sneak on the ground as a Lerk is pretty much suicide, no?

Skulks do not need to crouch, they are low profile enough as it is already, so the only thing CTRL could do differently for a Skulk is make you move slower but not be able to wall climb, so you'd just use Shift anyway. I'm sorry to disagree but I think changing the behaviour of movement keys should be avoided at all costs. This problem is far easier solved by more intuitive tutorials and help documents like the wiki, all a work in progress.
    The onos has the shake thing, but it still functions the same regardless of effect. If you move really slowly, as in now holding W, you can move silently as an onos. A silent walking lerk is useless, but still functions the same.

Changing any movement keys, or movement in anyway, should be changed with extreme caution. Most likely it is just going to make nearly all veterans upset. Still though, the point is that the functions are inconsistent.
    You're making an assumption that crouch is intended to be a sneak mechanic. Crouch has a movement penalty associated with it, but that shouldn't be interpreted as anything more. The proper sneak mechanic for a Lerk is Glide, shall we change that because it's inconsistent? No, because every Alien class is different. The controls are, in my opinion, as consistent as they can be for 5 vastly differing life-forms.
    edited March 2016
    The only thing I can think off is that going from Skulk to Gorge the shift button propels you forward for that instant lesson of "HEY this aliens has a different steeringwheel" :D Which in itself is a good thing to show they are different right?