SteamOS/Linux Support

EcnahcEcnahc USA Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214400Members
I just bought the game through Steam, and it claimed support for SteamOS. Now it seems that Linux and SteamOS are promised but not happening in the near future. I've searched the forum, but have not been able to find a recent answer to this question. On the Steam store page, right about the "add to cart" button, it clearly shows Windows, Mac, and Steamplay. Further down it does not show requirements for SteamOS/Linux, which I missed when I purchased the game.

My question should be simple to answer. I see that it was promised, but there has been no progress. Is Subnautica, at some point, going to be available on SteamOS?

Comments

• zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ecnahc wrote: »
    I just bought the game through Steam, and it claimed support for SteamOS.

The store page for Subnautica that I'm looking at says Steamplay. I'm going to quote somebody else, but I believe it's relevant to your question.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/
    Somebody wrote:
    SteamPlay means that "This released title has both an OSX and Windows version and if you buy this, you'll be able to play with both".

So like: you buy the game once, but you get shipped with both the OSX and Win files by Steam, and (if Steam Cloud is supported), your configuration and saves are kept consistent too.
  • Sigil_ThaneSigil_Thane Oklahoma, USA Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210855Members
    Point Taken @zimzum ... Linux wasn't promised, however it shouldn't be a stretch get there with there being a native Linux version of the Unity engine, and the similarity between Mac OS and Linux. (Mac OSX used FreeBSD as a large part of its kernel. Ubuntu and FreeBSD are both UNIX systems. Hence the similarity.)

There is clearly a desire for a Linux port, so there is an audience for it. (see here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/140797/what-is-your-main-operating-system-that-you-want-to-run-subnautica-on)

I bought early access, and am eager to play it. ...but I'm patient enough not to hound, and think that the game is amazing enough not to demand a refund or any such. I will just be content watching other people play on YouTube and just hope the devs don't forget about us Linux Users.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know about the community's desire to play this game on Linux, I've been around here for awhile. That link isn't the first thread started regarding other OS's and I'm sure it wont be the last.

I'm also waiting patiently for the game to come to Linux.