Couldn't establish a connection with the server

Treebeard-Treebeard- Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134620Members
edited March 2016 in Technical Support
Hello,
I can't connect to any servers, and the browser sometimes only shows a few or no servers.

I nearly (I got in and could play the game once the other day) always get the message "Couldn't establish a connection with the server".
Then for like 2 minutes afterwards the internet on my computer stops working.

I have tried uninstalling the game and deleting the Appdata/Natural Selection 2.

I tried to follow the instructions on this page: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/124418/connection-problems-we-need-your-data-to-fix-it#latest

But I could not find an option on my router to change Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User. My router is
Technicolor TG589vn v2.

I wrote net_log 53 in the console and then tried connecting a server, here's the log.txt after failing.
http://pastebin.com/J9UFbrLS

and here's the dxidag report
http://pastebin.com/iPERc1qD

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016
    Hi,

Update 291 just has been released. After an update most servers take a few hours to update. So make sure you try to connect a server that's up to date.
  • Treebeard-Treebeard- Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134620Members
    Thanks but that is not the problem, it's been like this for a long time
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016
    Treebeard- wrote: »
    Thanks but that is not the problem, it's been like this for a long time

Your issue sounds like something related to a firewall. The only detail your log is telling me is that your client never gets any answer from the given server. Make sure NS2 is white listed inside the settings of your anti virus suite.

Furthermore it would be interesting to know what happens if you use the steam server browser to connect to a server (Open Steam, click at View at the top bar menu and select Servers. Then filter after Natural Selection 2 as game)
  • Treebeard-Treebeard- Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134620Members
    hmm I don't have an antivirus program installed.
    I tried disabling the firewall and it didnt seem to make a difference.

I tried using the steam server browser, sometimes it would not find any servers, sometimes the servers that were found would say not responding, sometimes it would make my chrome browser slow for a few minutes like I explained above, I successfully joined a server twice, but had to try many times.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016
    Don't forget that your router has a firewall as well.
    More than likely these issues stem from your router, after doing a few cursory google searches on the matter. Many others are having trouble playing games with it, despite forwarding ports etc.

Sounds like setting your router into bridge mode might help
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    Is it even worth having your router's firewall on coupled with windows firewall? I am in half minds about keeping it on or off? I suppose hardware based firewall is always preferred over software based.