Upgraded Structures:

NexZone30NexZone30 Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185719Members
I believe the title says it all. I feel it'd be nice to be able to upgrade the various structures on each team, like an observatory for marines with increased range or a crag that can heal more/faster. Even extractors/harvesters that could generate resources faster or have more health for a reduced res influx, would significantly add to the game on the RTS spectrum. I feel additions like these would increase the ability for commanders to have more flexibility with their strategies and give more for a commander to invest in. Late game especially, for when a commander wants to do something else than drop some eggs or weapons.

Comments

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    edited March 2016
    maturity is allready a thing
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't like the idea. It means you don't need to have map control to gain a good amount of resources and can just focus on turtling until you teched up enough to push.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    Balancing each little boost would be a herculean task for an already hard to balance game. This does not mean it is impossible, but I do not think this would be the best way to increase strategy.

It also has the same potential problems we have right now, in that certain upgrade paths would almost always be better. Like how most marine games start with arms lab first.

The most serious issue I have with this suggestion is that it is aimed at giving late game commanders more option. If there is a point in the game where you have that much res that you can not spend, something is wrong. That should not be happening. One team should be able to win by that point in the game.
  • NexZone30NexZone30 Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185719Members
    edited March 2016
    The 'give commander more things to spend late game' is a suggested example. By no means would this be aimed solely at something like that. And yes, there are actually games where commanders can have plenty of res to spend, but little to spend it on, such as back and forth, or stale mate games. Onocide (xenocide, but for onos) would be far better suggestion for ending turtles, etc. The point is, that obviously would not be a sole reason for an idea like this to be implemented.

Overall, I'm suggesting general upgrades for most structures. These don't have to be huge or massive, like twice the crag heal speed! Subtle, but significant upgrades if used properly. I understand there is an aspect of balance to it, such that maybe this or that structure should not have upgrades. RT upgrades for instance, if implemented would require their own balance in themselves. And another thing I would say, is that if you are worried about balance, these upgrades can not all be positive. Using the crag example, you could have an upgrade that increased its speed by 1.3x, but decreased its range. Strategy wise, this upgrade might be nice to have on a crag next to a hive or tunnel, but be negative if you are trying to heal a room over through a wall.

As well as that, I don't think an upgrade on a single crag or observatory count as a research path. I hope that is understood, that I'm saying individual upgrades, not one upgrade upgrades all structures. If one upgrade were to upgrade all structures, it would be completely broken and I understand where you're coming from if that's what you meant.