Bio-Dome?

ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
Who would love to see a biodome added into the game? A large room with a glass dome and maybe glass windows that can act as a greenhouse for your plants. Not only would this be a great base building addition, but it could be made functional like maybe plants grow wice as fast in the sunlit biodome and produce twice as much?

Comments

• Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited March 2016
    That was my idea:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/140636/glass-domed-rooms-oh-please-yes

And I agree! Only I believed the glass dome should be an add-on, like the window but installed on the roof. Regardless, it would make an awesome arboretum :) I especially like that plants would grow faster under the glass ceiling.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    And you would be able to flood that dome and put in a sea emperor egg or other supersized creatures.

Maybe a little smaller than this one

ocean.jpg

more like this one

biodome_______inside_the_dome_by_shadow_trance.jpg
  • etherealyandereetherealyandere UK Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213830Members
    I've wanted this since I started playing; it'd be gorgeous for making an arboretum or a bedroom or an office
  • CrypervillaCrypervilla US Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213026Members
    Maybe a reinforced one for deep areas so you can study crab shrooms in peace. Honestly I want it so I could study animals in peace.
  • NuedlesNuedles Russia Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213867Members
    Perhaps the domes could be used to house biomes? as example, each biome has specific flora and fauna. When making a dome, depending on what seeds and fauna you put in it would create a smaller version of their respective biome, with fauna behaving as if it was wild (except the bigger ones would retain their shrinked size and would not attack you) The only problem is that it means there would be 2 buildings, one full of water and one regular for floater island plants and birds.
  • gamer2456gamer2456 NY,USA Join Date: 2015-03-17 Member: 202269Members
    I want this it so cool to have a bio-dom.
  • xXDogeLordXxxXDogeLordXx Doge bed Join Date: 2015-08-03 Member: 206713Members
    Would it also have dirt as the floor or on the floor so it has a huuuge planter? And yes we need this... ALOT
  • DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    We definitely need this. I hope this gets added.
  • Dex_LutherDex_Luther Montreal, Qc Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214839Members
    I wonder if it would be possible to make it modular without having to recode large parts of the game. One thing I miss about other similar games is the creativity they allow.

In space Engineers or Minecraft what I make is limited only by my resourcefulness and creativity. While I enjoy the breathtaking vistas Subnautica offers, I find that there's less room for creativity. Base building is as easy as snapping parts together for the most part. (Don't get me started on the crooked solar panels!)

What if the biodomes were made up of differently sized and shaped modules? Place a number of modules in a shape leaving space in the middle, connect some power, and a shield extends from each of the modules you placed creating the dome. Kinda like this: Stargate Atlantis Shield Activation

The modules could come in various heights. Low, Medium, and High. Each having a corner version.

Low could be nothing more than a shield emitting sprip on the ground. Perfect an unobstructed view of that beautiful ocean.
    Medium could be a waist high wall with a shield emitter.
    High could be a player high wall with a shield emitter, but also allows for items to be attached to it like fabricators, storage, etc. The high modules would be the ones that also allow connectors, hatches, and connections from other buildings like the multi-purpose rooms.

Other design choices would be whether or not players can build other buildings inside, and can the player pass through the shield.

Personally, I would hope players could build inside of them. With certain exceptions of course. Building a moonpool inside a biodome would be kinda pointless, but to be able to basically build inside a bubble would be nice. I could worry about placing my solar panels in a straight line without having to worry about air or of getting attacked.

Power drain from the shield would probably need to depend on size and depth.

Sorry about the rather long (probably rambling) post, but it's late and the OP and the pictures caused the "whoa wouldn't it be awesome if?" effect.
  • ThehipstergoronThehipstergoron Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215032Members
    I second this motion also some land creatures (pets) would be cool, like just small ones to populate the floating island